"Project Birmingham": Montgomery, 12 other A-Ball players promoted to AA

Chicago White Sox

Just now, BamaDoc said:

Also if you are left behind instead of heading to Bham, you know where you stand.  Thinking of Duke Ellis

Yeah, makes a lotta sense the whole Neslony, Dedelow movement though. Some slim shot left for them. 

Simas is headed there as an NDFA, so clearly ellis idn't there yet proving it.

Full roster: Adam Hackenberg, Alejandro Mateo, Andrew Dalquist, Bryan Ramos, Caleb Freeman, Colson Montgomery, Cristian Mena, DJ Gladney, Duke Ellis, Edgar Navarro, Emilio Vargas, Evan Skoug, Felix Paulino, Fraser Ellard, Garrett Davila, Garrett Schoenle, Jared Kelley, JJ Muno, José Rodríguez, Kaleb Roper, Kohl Simas, Luis Mieses, Luke Shilling, Matthew Thompson, Moises Castillo, Norge Vera, Oscar Colás, Scott Blewett, Sean Burke, Taylor Broadway, Theo Denlinger, Trey Jeans, Tyler Osik, Wes Kath, Wilfred Veras, Yoelqui Céspedes and Yoelvin Silven.

Edited by DirtySox

Here is my 1-sentence review of every new birmingham player for the uninitiated:

Colson Montgomery - Literally is Joe DiMaggio

Bryan Ramos - The nerds pick for sleeper bat in the system

Luis Mieses - The man has hit more doubles than 98 albert belle but in a good way

Christian Mena - Throws a large number of pitches for strikes but yet to overpower with anyone

Wes Kath - He either hits the ball hard or Ks with a beautiful lefty stroke of air

DJ Gladney - see above but with a righty stroke

Wilfred Veras - A large man who has had a great single-a campaign but is gonna be bat only driven for rest of career so is likely our future right fielder

Kohl Simas - Dominating first stint with rumors of velo uptick but went on IL and has faded since returning (also bills son)

Jared Kelley - Finally putting longer outings and finding some swing and miss but still wildly inconsistent

Norge Vera - Dominating stuff but has had so few innings last 3 years and he's already probably near shut down

Andrew Dalquist - Invented "the dalquist" which is 2 IP, 10 hits, 14 BBs, 1 k

Adam Hackenberg - Hit 2 home runs on day 1 and that's enough good will to get you through tye year

Tyler Osik - hit monster, late round pick who is likely a bat only guy but hey, probably our future catcher then

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I was just thinking that I have never heard of anyone doing something like this before, and was this the first?  That probably answers that.  It is wild to see the Sox on the cutting edge.  Seems like the Sox MiLB group is really on a good path the last few years.

I half wonder how much of this is already being done across the board in organizations like Tampa Bay, Dodgers, etc.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I half wonder how much of this is already being done across the board in organizations like Tampa Bay, Dodgers, etc.

nowhere really, but the instructional league has largely died b/c those orgs now just run their own training at same time with all their prospects. The benefit here is the competition, but getting more time with your prospects with a coordinated set of instructoin is definitely being done more in top orgs.

58 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think Kanny is the near drowner and W-S is the skeleton. Kanny at least gets some recent draft boys. I don't even want to see what Winston-Salems roster is. Can they even sport a team? And Charlotte benefits from some pretty real MLB roster guys who the sox can't bring up because of our Corner Infield redundancy and terror at using young prospects. Sosa and Burger a nice 1-2 punch.

Upon further review this is correct.

6qra12.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is a pretty interesting forward thinking initiative from Chris Getz. Something that someone might do before being named GM honestly…..

Is that a possibility? I hold out hope we see some changes across the board for the Sox but it’s still the Sox we are talking about. Unless you are implying he is leaving the organization?

52 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Is that a possibility? I hold out hope we see some changes across the board for the Sox but it’s still the Sox we are talking about. Unless you are implying he is leaving the organization?

If there’s some sort of front office restructuring, I’d think Chris Getz is the favorite to be the GM if that position was hypothetically part of the change. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

If there’s some sort of front office restructuring, I’d think Chris Getz is the favorite to be the GM if that position was hypothetically part of the change. 

Who would have ever thought of placing the name Chris Getz along side the position of General Manager? 😆