"Project Birmingham": Montgomery, 12 other A-Ball players promoted to AA

Chicago White Sox

18 hours ago, TomPickle said:

This is gross, but it makes a ton of sense that the Sox would be the ones doing it and that it's all the MLB Pipeline guys championing it.

I don't totally buy this. Astros were the team leading push for consolidation, and I do think it's the thought that its easier to give consistent coaching/voices to smaller more condensed groups than across 6 levels. Sox hired scouts when other teams shed. I think they in some ways prefer the "reps are all that matters" approach.

I wonder how much of this is based on the cost of minor league players and all of the low wage and housing concerns.

Move everyone to AZ and FLA and have complexes there like the Dominican and other foreign countries.  Then team can manage and develop everyone at the same time and place.

This is a huge cost consolidation and kills MiLB. 

A few have mentioned it. But I know I have seen another or a few organizations  talking about their major farm talents all growing together. Learning together and being promoted together. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Dodgers , Tampa Bay , Houston to perhaps .

Not quite en masse like this but with deeper systems it's harder to do. By the time the wheat is separated from the chaff there could be 3 or 4 guys following the same developmental path to MLB.

I also think Colas might be going to AAA soon. Maybe Cespedes too.

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

A few have mentioned it. But I know I have seen another or a few organizations  talking about their major farm talents all growing together. Learning together and being promoted together. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Dodgers , Tampa Bay , Houston to perhaps .

Not quite en masse like this but with deeper systems it's harder to do. By the time the wheat is separated from the chaff there could be 3 or 4 guys following the same developmental path to MLB.

KC did this with its 14/15 core.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I loved when the Sox prospects a few years ago went to the DR

Rushing development of players seems reckless and arbitrary to me

5 hours ago, ChiSoxJon said:

I loved when the Sox prospects a few years ago went to the DR

Rushing development of players seems reckless and arbitrary to me

That's what they said about Albert Pujols when he came up. One year in minors....

On 8/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, JoeC said:

...does this mean that the admins will promote some of us less experienced posters from High A to AA, too, in a corresponding move?

...I notice I was "promoted" to Birmingham.

Does this mean "yes?"

• Haha 1

The big eye opener in three games is Mieses.  I have always liked him a bit.  Not a fast guy, but a decent corner OF, can also play first.  Expands the zone a bit, but has good coverage, so he does not have a high K rate. He’s a mid-teens guy for me on their top 30.  Should they protect him from the rule 5?

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

The big eye opener in three games is Mieses.  I have always liked him a bit.  Not a fast guy, but a decent corner OF, can also play first.  Expands the zone a bit, but has good coverage, so he does not have a high K rate. He’s a mid-teens guy for me on their top 30.  Should they protect him from the rule 5?

I would not. There are a lot of guys like him in orgs but I do think he's gonna be interesting next year if he can convert more doubles into hrs.

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would not. There are a lot of guys like him in orgs but I do think he's gonna be interesting next year if he can convert more doubles into hrs.

Fair enough.  I wonder if Mieses heads to the Fall League.  Currently, Sosa is on the 40 man and Ramos and Popeye are slam dunks to join.  I would protect Mieses ahead of Yolbert, and there are a lot of FA’s and DFA candidates currently on the roster.  With Mieses, I would be at 37 and that includes guys I could imagine losing like Banks, Sousa, and Bilous.  The real question is how many reliever types like Schilling, Lane Ramsey, and Caleb Freeman do the Sox want to protect.  Ramsey’s the only one having success currently, but all provide decent depth. It will be interesting.

8 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Fair enough.  I wonder if Mieses heads to the Fall League.  Currently, Sosa is on the 40 man and Ramos and Popeye are slam dunks to join.  I would protect Mieses ahead of Yolbert, and there are a lot of FA’s and DFA candidates currently on the roster.  With Mieses, I would be at 37 and that includes guys I could imagine losing like Banks, Sousa, and Bilous.  The real question is how many reliever types like Schilling, Lane Ramsey, and Caleb Freeman do the Sox want to protect.  Ramsey’s the only one having success currently, but all provide decent depth. It will be interesting.

To be clear not saying Mieses sucks, just that I don’t find it likely he would be lost in a rule 5 draft. His hit tool has improved every year and he’s young enough to stay invested. If he was a dynamite CF it’s a different calc.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I don't see anything about Mieses that would make a team put him on a major league roster for a year.

• 4 months later...

Last year several posters here mentioned that Montgomery was sitting out a lot of games.  Now that the dust has settled, does anybody know why?

Possible reasons:

He was over-matched.

He was hurt.

Rosters were so big they had to sit a lot of players.

3 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Last year several posters here mentioned that Montgomery was sitting out a lot of games.  Now that the dust has settled, does anybody know why?

Possible reasons:

He was over-matched.

He was hurt.

Sitting out games when? In Birmingham? He had an injury in Kanny that caused him to miss some time. 

19 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Possible reasons:

He was over-matched.

He was hurt.

They came out and said he was being given extra days off due to his first exposure to such a long grueling baseball season. He was worn down.