Kopech to IL, Martin up.

Tnetennba

• Balta1701 changed the title to Kopech to IL, Martin up.
37 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kopech strikes me as a guy who won't ever be healthy. I am very concerned about Kopech, Gio, Eloy, Moncada, and Robert being championship caliber players. I would almost bet against them being healthy or stars. 

I can’t say this enough, put them with a legitimate and professional coaching staff.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Kopech strikes me as a guy who won't ever be healthy. I am very concerned about Kopech, Gio, Eloy, Moncada, and Robert being championship caliber players. I would almost bet against them being healthy or stars. 

We'll see.

To me, 2023 is the bellwether season for him.

We knew going into 2022 that he'd be ramping up. We'd see his velocity decrease, arm tire out, and preventative stints on the IL. Given that, I'm willing to give a somewhat of a pass on his 2022 season as far as durability and sustainment are concerned.

2023 is the big test - he's got his innings up closer to a starter's workload (120IP and counting... nearly a career high for him, including minors), and he's going to be an established member of the rotation with routines worked out, etc.

DVS of the Sun-Times is a Sox fan and you can tell by his writing this year he's as frustrated and tired of the nonsense as all of us. An example tonight:

"There was no choice but to trudge forward, even with a rotation blowing tires as the team takes the final lap of an enormously disappointing season fraught with injuries.

Heaping one more on the pile seemed fitting."

• Like 2

My philosophy regarding pitching, starting pitching especially today is you damn well better have not five but SIX guys you can rely on since sooner or later someone is going to get hurt or go into a bad slump.

Even better is to have a seventh guy stashed away in Charlotte (a rookie).

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

My philosophy regarding pitching, starting pitching especially today is you damn well better have not five but SIX guys you can rely on since sooner or later someone is going to get hurt or go into a bad slump.

Even better is to have a seventh guy stashed away in Charlotte (a rookie).

You are completely correct. 

The White Sox barely had 5 to open training camp, Lynn, Gio, Kopech, Cease, Keuchel. Velasquez was apparently their backup option. They were lucky enough that Cueto was still available when they had their first totally predictable injury, and also lucky that Martin stepped up. That was a shocking lack of depth for a team that fantasizes about being a contender - Cueto signs somewhere else and good chance this team is below .500.

• Like 1