Sell the Team

bmags

4 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

I hate to think someone would have to die in order to make me happy. Id never wish that.

Like many have said, look what impact Dollar Bill WIrtz death made on the Hawks

Well maybe he doesn't have to die to make you happy....in this festive time of the year maybe we can hope for an Ebeneezer Scrooge like transformation.  JR wakes up on Christmas morning, sends Rick Hahn the biggest turkey in the poulterer's window and tells him to sign whoever he wants...open checkbook.  "Other owners laughed at the change in Jerry Reinsdorf, but he let them laugh and paid no mind.  His own heart laughed because Soxtalk was happy."

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:23 AM, Highland said:

For decades fans have been hoping and yelling for JR to sell the team. At this point, I don't know what he gets out running the White Sox, but these calls are being ignored. He never has believed he has to listen to the fans for anything.

However, if the FO has even the slightest want to keep this team as a viable franchise, I don't think it can be this arrogant anymore. There has to be some serious effort to improve the team in the offseason, or more and more fans will tune out. You can't bring back LaRussa and claim injuries were the only thing that led to a disappointing season. I really don't think that will fly. I know for sure it won't fly with me.

Actually, this would be a good time for someone or some organization to purchase the Sox. The stadium is now a little over 30 years-old, but it is in good shape, and it is a decent place to watch a game. The team is lack-luster at the moment, but still has talent. And fans would be very open to new ownership. There would be a honeymoon period.

I understand the need to call out for new ownership, but it seems so futile. Sox security will do what it can to stamp out protest. JR would do what he wants and insolate himself from the rest. Meanwhile, the team limps along like it has a pulled hamstring.

This team is full of pulled hamstrings.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

I've been beating this drum for awhile now! Michael would definitely make big changes. Many owners have and do own multiple teams and had great success running two teams. Michael could easily handle both by just finding some stud president of baseball ops like the Dodgers found in Andrew Freidman. Michael does right now letting Arturas Karnisovas run his Bulls.

He does have another son named Jonathon who I'd prefer over Michael.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:20 AM, Jack Parkman said:

That's from August of 2022 , so hasn't happened . Getz was probably instrumental in hiring Grifol. Getz and AJ played together for Getz's only 2 years with the Sox so he probably saw 1st hand how AJP treated people. Trying to figure out it's relevance in this thread but carry on.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sad to say I threw $25 at it.  Might be setting money on fire, but worth the risk in the small chance this is real.

I don't view this as money spent that will make any actual change, but just as a visual protest. Everyone says "don't renew your season tickets or give this franchise your money, and then they'll see how frustrated we are!". 

Well, how about spending $15 to *actually* show them how frustrated we are.

• Like 3

He owns anywhere from 10-19% depending on where you read it.  He ain't selling.  His ownership stake will pass to his kids.  Hell, he most likely couldn't sell even if he wanted to, as others in the ownership group would either block it by not agreeing, or have first right of refusal and buy him out.

But yes, the entire ownership team needs to sell, I just don't see that happening any time soon.

2 minutes ago, soulfly said:

He owns anywhere from 10-19% depending on where you read it.  He ain't selling.  His ownership stake will pass to his kids.  Hell, he most likely couldn't sell even if he wanted to, as others in the ownership group would either block it by not agreeing, or have first right of refusal and buy him out.

But yes, the entire ownership team needs to sell, I just don't see that happening any time soon.

JR has the authority to keep the team or sell it as he chooses. The minority owners have no say in the matter it is part of his contract.

After the Sox won the World series, some of the minority owners wanted him to sell but he refused. In 2008, Andrew Berlin, who grew up a Sox fan twice made offers for the team. JR turned him down twice. Berlin now owns the Cubs South Bend affiliate.

And as I wrote in this story, because of the tax hit that would come into play if he sold the club while he was alive, it doesn't make sense financially for him to do so.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/8/29/23325369/jerry-reinsdorf-selling-chicago-white-sox-not-on-his-life

The Reinsdorf group have  be good stewards of the White Sox franchise for 4 decades. I prefer that stability over a get rich quick billionaire who wants to throw money around and then probably bail  like Musk is probably going to  do with Twitter.  Young people are often consumed by myopic views. The last popular fanboy choice to purchase the  White Sox was Mark Cuban. No thanks.

• Haha 4
  • TLR 1

8 hours ago, tray said:

The Reinsdorf group have  be good stewards of the White Sox franchise for 4 decades. I prefer that stability over a get rich quick billionaire who wants to throw money around and then probably bail  like Musk is probably going to  do with Twitter.  Young people are often consumed by myopic views. The last popular fanboy choice to purchase the  White Sox was Mark Cuban. No thanks.

After all Mark Cuban clearly bailed on the Mavericks and did nothing to improve that franchise or provide stability.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

After all Mark Cuban clearly bailed on the Mavericks and did nothing to improve that franchise or provide stability.

Lmao, yea I still want Cuban.  It’s the other owners that don’t want him, because they know he would come in and be just like Cohen and run up the tab in a FA spending spree, which the old heads hate

tray just hates a good time that’s all

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao, yea I still want Cuban.  It’s the other owners that don’t want him, because they know he would come in and be just like Cohen and run up the tab in a FA spending spree, which the old heads hate

He definitely has an attitude and his management of the Mavericks isn’t without issue (I believe there were some notable sexual harassment issues from some of their top staff a few years ago) but he took over that franchise when it was undervalued and said that they were going to sell out that arena every night. They were going to be competitive and make regular playoff appearances and set a solid standard of excellence in basketball to grow their fan base in one of America’s largest cities. He did that, he put a regularly competitive team on the floor, and now the Mavericks are a way more valuable product than the one he bought. His antics got him on the news but the idea of investing in one’s product and being rewarded by customers for it - that’s the thing Reinsdorf would hate.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tray said:

I would be more than happy if Musk would come in and throw money around.  He is a man of action and wouldn't be satisfied with 2nd place.

• Haha 3
  • TLR 1

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I would be more than happy if Musk would come in and throw money around.  He is a man of action and wouldn't be satisfied with 2nd place.

I can just see it now. To buy tickets, you have to register with a Twitter Blue account.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

This has to be tongue in cheek right?

Why?  This forum wants a floor for player salaries but no salary cap.  A multi-billionaire owner is the only way we can compete.  JR is a billionaire and yet can't afford how the game is played today.  He stated his opposition to Cohen because this kind of owner would change the game.  He wasn't wrong.

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m in utter disbelief anybody could refer to Jerry being a “good steward” of the White Sox.  No owner has done more to waste the significant potential of a major sports franchise other than Doland Sterling.

If by good steward you mean earn money for his investors, ok sure.  If you mean acting like a big market team, maximizing resources trying to win?  Hahaha no. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Musk is another ‘thinks he’s the smartest man in the room’ person who would run the Sox into the ground by meddling in everything.  Twitter has nearly crashed & burned over the past month+ under his “watch”, don’t let him anywhere near the Sox or any baseball franchise.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would be so unbelievably happy if Cuban bought the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tray said:

Good stewards, how? By being mediocre in the third largest city in the country?  The only playoff series this group has won was in 05.  The ownership group has been pathetic.  The only thing they are stable at is underachieving.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I would be so unbelievably happy if Cuban bought the team.

I would take any new money billionaire that is buying the franchise to win vs make more money.  Someone that sees the untapped potential and is willing to invest in making the Sox a top tier franchise.  

• Like 1