Who is this team’s LVP (Least Valuable Player)?

Greg Hibbard

Who is this team’s LVP (Least Valuable Player)?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the LVP?

• Yasmani Grandal
    • Yoan Moncada
    • Leury Garcia
    • AJ Pollock
    • Gavin Sheets
    • Adam Engel
    • Josh Harrison

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Giolito hasn't said anything about his defense.  I think you are confusing

Where did I say he said anything to this point.  I asked if people thought he could stream for 200 hours, and insinuated that he has to take hundreds of questions from fans and not get baited into it? 

1 hour ago, turnin' two said:

But what WAR did you expect from Yaz?  What did you expect from Leury?  The team wasn't counting on Leury to be valuable (well at least we as fans weren't).  But this team needed Yaz to be valuable.  

And Yaz is -1.2 in bWAR.  

Yaz makes 13 million more this year than Leury.  There has to be a sliding scale in how they are measured.  

Yaz is more disappointing.

Doesn't make Leury more valuable.

...though I didn't look at bWAR (just fWAR)

I went with Grandal. It's not just the BA, its the lack of power and the fact he doesn't hit anyhting other than singles, is slow, double plays, etc. injured. Just brutal. 

Pollock is my second choice. With all the injuries to Eloy and Robert, etc. the fact he didn't step up stung. He had a chance to really make those losses less. (engel too). 

third was leury. can't fault him. he's just bad. that's a TLR problem more than anyhting. 

I probably would of voted for either Menechino or Giolito if they were eligible. But they are not - and based on lofty expectations and despite overall good defense, I'm going with Moncada. His bat is just dead. That OBP is truly awful. He's supposed to be our best player or top 2 or 3.

35 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Yaz is more disappointing.

Doesn't make Leury more valuable.

...though I didn't look at bWAR (just fWAR)

So was your vote just basically who has the lowest fWAR?  Leury is at -.9 bWAR by the way.  Not criticizing or anything, just trying to understand.  Because as others have also stated, the expectations are vastly different between those players.   

I don't see how it isn't Grandal. The grandal of last year provided huge power. He had 23 home runs in 60% of games played. That would lead the team this year. 

Instead it has nearly all been replaced by ground balls. This team desperately needed his power bat and he couldn't have been more the opposite. He had a .280 iso last year, this year it's .050

Sucks so much we have power only bench guys like gavin sheets providing 10 homers in 300 PAs and he legitimately is one of our best power bats. In 2001 Jeff Liefer provided 18 homers in 270 PAs as our key LH power off the bench. And he got to just play 1B.

It is the worst power outage I've ever seen and it's for a team that on its face is not designed to be single heavy. But the sox have a bunch of people telling them all to be single-heavy and contact contact contact. But that shouldn't have been Yaz. He just sucks. He should have said no and just been shut down. Perez is better anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

I was aware they wasted a lot of money, but $85 million for 0 WAR? Sox never pay top dollar for FA but for the same dollars they could have had Harper, Machado, AND Wheeler.  Giving big bucks to mid-level players and relievers is always stupid.  Pay top dollar for impact players and then fill in with a deep farm system and smart waiver wire transactions.  This number alone justifies getting rid of the entire front office.

White Sox Baseball = Target prices for Dollar Store quality.

26 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

So was your vote just basically who has the lowest fWAR?  Leury is at -.9 bWAR by the way.  Not criticizing or anything, just trying to understand.  Because as others have also stated, the expectations are vastly different between those players.   

Essentially started with my personal bias and backed it up with fWAR (hitting).

Grandal has been a disappointment versus expectations, but if you're looking at absolute level of sucktitude, it's Leury for me.

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I went with Moncada, Leury is Luery but Moncada for what he is getting paid has been useless this year.

The defense is there but yeah, we’re not paying him what we’re paying him for only defense.

I went Yaz since he’s been terrible on both sides, fielding and hitting, -1.2 WAR. Oof 

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Yasmani, and like a few others have said, it’s not even close.

He’s provided negative value across all facets of the game, while being the highest paid player on the team.

Can anyone remember the last time he did anything to help the team win? 

He hits the ball with zero authority and if he somehow manages to get on base, he is shockingly slow. Far from ideal with a team full of singles hitters.

With that said, a lot of this might be due to on-going leg issues. Just start hitting a HR here and there, man. 

• Hawk 1