Baseball cards

caulfield12

I used to have every Clemente but his '55 rookie card but sold most of them.

Just bought that and Koufax rookie for investment purposes.

Had Reggie Jackson and close to mint Nolan Ryan rookie too, 75 Brett.

Trout seems iffy from this point forward.

Jeter Berra Schmidt Killebrew Ruth Jackie Robinson Campanella Tom Seaver 2018 Ohtani Bob Gibson Hank Aaron Banks Ted Williams Frank Thomas Ichiro...

Which would you buy and hold for 10-15-20 years time horizon?

Edited by caulfield12

There are no players playing today worth a great investment, in my opinion.

Baseball is too fluky and no one will reach the older stats levels because the game has changed.

Holding a proverbial gun to my head, I'd say Aaron Judge would be the best bet.

He's got huge large market hype and has the skills to hit 500+ and cement a HOF plaque.

48 minutes ago, knightni said:

There are no players playing today worth a great investment, in my opinion.

Baseball is too fluky and no one will reach the older stats levels because the game has changed.

Holding a proverbial gun to my head, I'd say Aaron Judge would be the best bet.

He's got huge large market hype and has the skills to hit 500+ and cement a HOF plaque.

He's 30 at 200 right now, but if he crushes it for the next ten years, He could approach Thomas numbers.

Partially depends with Judge where he ends up with his next contract too.  And his health of course.

Most of the rookie cards from the 80s and 90s just had way too many copies like Boggs Frank Thomas Ripken Gwynn/Fleer and Donruss, Sosa, Canseco, Mattingly Clemens, etc.

I bought 50-100 lots of Benito Santiago, Juan Going Going Gonzalez and Hensley Bam Bam Meulens lol.  Santiago paid of with a long hitting streak.  Orel Hershiser with a consecutive scoreless innings pitched streak.

Edited by caulfield12

8 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

I used to have every Clemente but his '55 rookie card but sold most of them.

Just bought that and Koufax rookie for investment purposes.

Had Reggie Jackson and close to mint Nolan Ryan rookie too, 75 Brett.

Trout seems iffy from this point forward.

Jeter Berra Schmidt Killebrew Ruth Jackie Robinson Campanella Tom Seaver 2018 Ohtani Bob Gibson Hank Aaron Banks Ted Williams Frank Thomas Ichiro...

Which would you buy and hold for 10-15-20 years time horizon?

The old cards you mention definitely retain value over time, especially if they are in decent shape. Cards that I grew up with from 1989-2005 are pretty much worthless because the market was flooded with them. I’ve got autographed baseballs, cards, pictures and bats from most Sox players that were with us from 1999-2004. 

I don’t know that I would collect a specific player unless I had some indication the value would hold like a James or Brady rookie card. Instead, I would invest in high end packs and hope for the best. A card local store owner opened up a box and one card he pulled was a Mac Jones 1/1 autograph card. He got $16K for it.

The market seems to be gravitating towards good cards in high end brands, but getting HOF rookie cards is a good investment.

2 hours ago, The Beast said:

The old cards you mention definitely retain value over time, especially if they are in decent shape. Cards that I grew up with from 1989-2005 are pretty much worthless because the market was flooded with them. I’ve got autographed baseballs, cards, pictures and bats from most Sox players that were with us from 1999-2004. 

I don’t know that I would collect a specific player unless I had some indication the value would hold like a James or Brady rookie card. Instead, I would invest in high end packs and hope for the best. A card local store owner opened up a box and one card he pulled was a Mac Jones 1/1 autograph card. He got $16K for it.

The market seems to be gravitating towards good cards in high end brands, but getting HOF rookie cards is a good investment.

Miggy, Ichiro, Kershaw, Yadi, Greinke, Ortiz, Scherzer, Chipper Jones Desert Shield, MJ Upper Deck 91 baseball, Jeter, Arod, Griffey/Mantle, Mo Rivera, Adrian Beltre, Piazza, Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Devers, deGrom, Sal Perez, Machado, Harper, Trout, Judge, Verlander, Arenado, Betts, Altuve, G.Cole…Walter Payton rookie

21 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Miggy, Ichiro, Kershaw, Yadi, Greinke, Ortiz, Scherzer, Chipper Jones Desert Shield, MJ Upper Deck 91 baseball, Jeter, Arod, Griffey/Mantle, Mo Rivera, Adrian Beltre, Piazza, Pujols, Kirby Puckett, Devers, deGrom, Sal Perez, Machado, Harper, Trout, Judge, Verlander, Arenado, Betts, Altuve, G.Cole…Walter Payton rookie

I’d be curious to hear about how you got Payton and Mantle and what you have of A Rod, Pujols, Ichiro, Trout and Judge.

10 hours ago, The Beast said:

I’d be curious to hear about how you got Payton and Mantle and what you have of A Rod, Pujols, Ichiro, Trout and Judge.

That Griffey/Mantle was a "combined" two panel card....not the "real" rookie cards.

Pujols unavailable.  Judge unavailable.   The Ohtani and Ichiro ones aren't the famously expensive ones, they're both under $25-30.  Best Jeter around $1000.  Tatis, lol, $120.

I have been buying up the entire US supply of ONeil Cruz rookie cards, lol.  Hopefully he'll pull a Hershiser/Benito Santiago cultural moment.  Fernando-mania, right?   Or at least Mark The Bird Fidrych.

Roberto Clemente autographed baseball, individual and not entire Pirates' team signature.  Shoeless Joe Jackson autographed "best wishes to Edward postcard" or actually more of an index card.  There's another postcard autograph out there with his signature and date across the middle vertically that I didn't buy that was more expensive if you look for one online.

Got some weird autographed ones like Jim Nantz, Barry Switzer, Walt Jocketty and Dick Vitale, haha, Aaron Judge and Trae Young.  Fisk and Baines, Eric Dickerson, Barry Larkin, Mike Mussina, Jose Altuve, Mike Pepperoni Piazza, Adrian Peterson.

Signed "framed pictures" of Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Billy Sims (long story), Frank Thomas, Dick Butkus, Jerry Rice, Tom Watson at the British Open.

Late 1950's Al Kaline autographed.

https://www.mlb.com/news/who-sold-the-1952-mickey-mantle-baseball-card?partnerId=zh-20220831-690558-mlb-1-A&qid=1026&utm_id=zh-20220831-690558-mlb-1-A&bt_ee=Ly%2F32pV4txvL9TJFGYf2t9rLjFYui%2FIb6DII%2B5K5kjE%2FTM9QdGSbkVUZPh7U8IiH&bt_ts=1661951672047

Should be a touch over $9 million left after capital gains taxes taken out… like the story of USC undergrad with $125-135 million now from meme stock sales/trades.  That would be an interesting dating world for him, right?

15 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That Griffey/Mantle was a "combined" two panel card....not the "real" rookie cards.

Pujols unavailable.  Judge unavailable.   The Ohtani and Ichiro ones aren't the famously expensive ones, they're both under $25-30.  Best Jeter around $1000.  Tatis, lol, $120.

I have been buying up the entire US supply of ONeil Cruz rookie cards, lol.  Hopefully he'll pull a Hershiser/Benito Santiago cultural moment.  Fernando-mania, right?   Or at least Mark The Bird Fidrych.

Roberto Clemente autographed baseball, individual and not entire Pirates' team signature.  Shoeless Joe Jackson autographed "best wishes to Edward postcard" or actually more of an index card.  There's another postcard autograph out there with his signature and date across the middle vertically that I didn't buy that was more expensive if you look for one online.

Got some weird autographed ones like Jim Nantz, Barry Switzer, Walt Jocketty and Dick Vitale, haha, Aaron Judge and Trae Young.  Fisk and Baines, Eric Dickerson, Barry Larkin, Mike Mussina, Jose Altuve, Mike Pepperoni Piazza, Adrian Peterson.

Signed "framed pictures" of Stan Musial, Ted Williams, Billy Sims (long story), Frank Thomas, Dick Butkus, Jerry Rice, Tom Watson at the British Open.

Late 1950's Al Kaline autographed.

Those are all cool items. Ted Williams would be cool to have. Where did you get your weird autographed ones? Hopefully O'Neil Cruz turns into something.

Most of my Sox autographs came from SoxFest and from Kids Days growing up. I also got a Frank Thomas autographed bat from a radio calling contest on 100.3.

Here is the full list of autographs.  Because I'm all about the lists, lol.

I'm considering Malcolm X and Jim Morrison today, haha.

Hoover

Mantle

James Monroe

Harry S. Truman

Ronald Reagan

Abraham Lincoln (negotiating, at $6000 now)

Jimmy Stewart

Johnny Mize

LBJ

Orville Wright (brothers of flight, but not wilbur)

Mantle/Killebrew/Mays

Anna NIcole Smith

JFK

Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio

Clark Gable

Johnny Mize

Cool Papa Bell/George Sisler

Shoeless Joe Jackson signed by wife Katie, only 20-100 real genuine authentic Jackson autographs exist in the entire world

Roberto Clemente on a baseball

Hank Aaron

Frankie Frisch

Billy Sims

Stan Musial

Ted Williams again

Dick Butkus

Jerry Rice

Buck Leonard

Billy Pierce

Bo Jackson

Carl Yastremski

Jimmy Carter

Billy Williams

Warren Spahn

Lloyd Waner

Whitey Ford

Charlie Gehringer

Lena Horne

Lefty Gomez

Carlton Fisk x 2

Lou Boudreau

Olivia Newton John

Mike Schmidt and Greg The Bull Luzinski

Kevin Costner/Dances With Wolves

Sophia Loren X 2

Tom Seaver

Leo Durocher

Vida Blue

Willie Mays x 2

Robin Yount

Paul Molitor

Monte Irvin

Juan Marichal

Fergie Jenkins

Bill Mazeroski

Nolan Ryan (have to recover rookie card I sold in early 90's, lol)

Rod Carew

Eddie Matthews

Frank Thomas

Jack Johnson (30's and 40's boxer)

all these are rookie cards

Yastremski/Yaz

Ichiro/Pujols together

Roger Clemens Fleer

two Reggie Jacksons

Aaron Judge (autographed)

Barry Larkin

Jose Altuve

Tony Gwynn O pee chee and a ton of 83 Fleer

Shohei Ohtani  2

Ichiro Suzuki

Adrian Peterson

Trae Young

Mike Piazza (2)

Eric Dickerson

Frank Robinson

Cal Ripken

Yadier Molina (autographed, 310/1000)

Fernando Tatis

Acuna

Soto

ONeil Cruz, Witt Jr. Corbin Carroll

Willie Mays

George Brett

numerous Clementes (not rookies, from 1956-1973)

Roberto Clemente and Sandy Koufax rookies

Roger Maris rookie

Tom Seaver rookie

Walter Payton rookie

another nice Koufax (non rookie)

Al Kaline 50's autographed

Willie Mays $2500

Bryce Harper

Rickey Henderson

two Max Scherzers

3 Ken Griffey Jrs. 120 X 3=360

Ohtani

ONeil Cruz  autographed

Mickey Mantle $1000

Yogi Berra $400

Derek Jeter $1000

Nellie Fox 1953 Bowman rookie

Mariano Rivera rookie $120

Mike Mussina (autographed)

Edited by caulfield12

On 9/5/2022 at 11:50 AM, The Beast said:

Pictures of some of these would be cool to see. How much is the Payton worth?

the one I bought was $800 but much closer to good/very good grade than excellent

also, just bid in an auction for 1954 Topps Hank Aaron 7.5 grade, near mint, gave up at $27000, winning bid was a bit over $28000

also bought an autographed Ohtani and Ichiro cards from back in Japan, like the Orix Blue Jay, that one about $500

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEANS said:

I've been thinking about getting some of mine graded, I have 2 Jordan Rookies (The Stickers) that I think are in great shape.

Going for around $65000 each if they graded out at PSA 9 (mint)

there would be a pretty dramatic falloff at 7.5 and below

i'll just pretend my Nolan Ryan rookie sold in the late early/early 90's wasn't mint...that would have been in the $75-90K range today, oops

Edited by caulfield12

23 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

the one I bought was $800 but much closer to good/very good grade than excellent

also, just bid in an auction for 1954 Topps Hank Aaron 7.5 grade, near mint, gave up at $27000, winning bid was a bit over $28000

also bought an autographed Ohtani and Ichiro cards from back in Japan, like the Orix Blue Jay, that one about $500

Cool, I have a friend who is passively looking for a Payton which is why I asked. That seems like a good price.