Sox Get Roasted On MLB Network

knightni

that O-Swing% (29th overall) just screams a team of guys who had their own offensive style (the reason they were drafted/signed) and are being told to completely change their approach to fit some sort of arbitrary philosophy taught by Menechino.  so of course they're struggling mightily while they try to adapt to a totally different kind of hitting

that's my armchair breakdown 

wonder if the last few years Menechino laid off the hard instructions and just let the guys do their own thing?

An article from 2020 on Sox plate discipline: https://www.si.com/mlb/whitesox/features/swing-happy-white-sox-prone-to-exposure

As of Friday, the Sox have the third worst O-Swing% in MLB at 34.2%.

However, O-Swing won't tell the whole story. A good proxy for overall plate discipline is Z-Swing% minus O-Swing% (percent of pitches swung at in the zone minus percent of pitches swung at out of the zone). At 32.6%, the Sox are a tick below the Cubs for the worst in baseball. The Orioles on the other hand, the team with the worst O-Swing% in baseball, also have the third-highest Z-Swing% with the league's second best wRC+ at 119. Thus, if you want chase that many pitches, you also have to be equally as aggressive and effective with pitches to hit in the zone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, T R U said:

Tony LaRussa inherited an ascending team that has done nothing but regress under his command. Rick Hahn hasn't helped with him with lousy moves, but the problem in my opinion is the fossil chosen to lead this team.

Fire LaRussa, Fire Hahn, and watch the 2023 White Sox win the AL Central.

thats a start but that gets you maybe 5 more wins.  you need a total tear down of management and coaching and also the PTs.  bring in guys who don't have any ties to the org also would be a nice changeup.  imo signing AJ Hinch was just a perfect guy to hire, TLR was the absolute worst.  I remember some of the people here saying they preferred TLR, lol...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, almagest said:

3 hours ago, almagest said:

As of Friday, the Sox have the third worst O-Swing% in MLB at 34.2%.

However, O-Swing won't tell the whole story. A good proxy for overall plate discipline is Z-Swing% minus O-Swing% (percent of pitches swung at in the zone minus percent of pitches swung at out of the zone). At 32.6%, the Sox are a tick below the Cubs for the worst in baseball. The Orioles on the other hand, the team with the worst O-Swing% in baseball, also have the third-highest Z-Swing% with the league's second best wRC+ at 119. Thus, if you want chase that many pitches, you also have to be equally as aggressive and effective with pitches to hit in the zone.

I feel like that explains a huge part of my frustration watching these guys all year.  They swing at offspeed low and away pitches and other garbage out of the zone, and when it's in the zone, they either don't swing, swing and miss, or swing and fail to make good contact (either foul it off or easy groundout, often into a double play).    

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Their words not mine.  

Certainly. My point is, “ Good team on paper” is something people will still say even as they fall short of the fallacy. Its time to face tge real quality of the core. It WAS a good team on paper. Everyone better drop that, even if accompanied by the qualifiers. Stop overrating them, it wont be fixed if the perception still endured that this is a good team on paper. That’s dead. Its a mediocre team on paper. 

Hopefully this will be one of many future media sites blasting the Sox hard! Furthermore, hopefully this will be a wake-up call to Jerry to bow out gracefully now and let his son Michael finally run the team. It's time Jerry, enough is enough and let your son clean-up your sloppy mess, so you can go enjoy your final years of retirement.