TLR out for the year

chw42

7 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I hope Tony will be alright. But it makes you wonder if his age and medical conditions are going to take him out of managing. Maybe this can be an out for him and the Sox so he can step away. 

It would be a reasonable out.

• Like 4

Split this off from the Fire Tony thread.

As infuriating as he is as a manager, I hope he's doing OK. Listening to Fegan talk about Tony after games on the FutureSox podcast really hammered home that these games are just taking a lot out of him.

Not saying that as a joke either. These games are stressful to watch. At his age, I can't imagine the strain of these games are taking on his body.

• Like 7

I'll be the cynic and say it - this might be a PR move as much as a health move.

Others have mentioned it throughout the season but this may just be laying the groundwork to give Tony an out. Not doubting he may have health issues, just that publicly having him sit out could also be a calculated move to telegraph the off-season separation. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

As infuriating as he is as a manager, I hope he's doing OK. Listening to Fegan talk about Tony after games on the FutureSox podcast really hammered home that these games are just taking a lot out of him.

Not saying that as a joke either. These games are stressful to watch. At his age, I can't imagine the strain of these games are taking on his body.

Like I said, I've known him and interviewed him multiple times since the early 80's. This is not the same guy I remember as recently as say five years ago.

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

4 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is an important takeaway: it's possible to separate wishing he's no longer with the organization, and also being respectful about the man's health. Genuinely hope he's ok.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'll be the cynic and say it - this might be a PR move as much as a health move.

Others have mentioned it throughout the season but this may just be laying the groundwork to give Tony an out. Not doubting he may have health issues, just that publicly having him sit out could also be a calculated move to telegraph the off-season separation. 

Yeah, I feel like this seems like a way for him to announce that he's stepping away for health reasons. He just met with the media and Hahn. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I really think you are wrong. I don't think the Sox would go there lying about a guy's health. I know teams lie and politicians lie and all that, but that's bad karma to lie about a guy's health. That said my opinion is Tony is done. Life is too short and we'll be hearing his retirement soon. The team blows, there's lot of pressure on Tony.

I feel for him. I know he got that second DUI and is kind of mean and all that, but cmon let's all show compassion. Get well Tony! And I stand my prediction. he's done as a manager.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Quin said:

It's a joke that the Sox subjected him to such a demanding job as well. It's a joke TLR tried to tough it out as well. Lotsa jokes to go around. That said, health is everything and even though he's old I hope he has many good years left for him and his family. Feel better TLR, just don't come back next year.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's a joke that the Sox subjected him to such a demanding job as well. It's a joke TLR tried to tough it out as well. Lotsa jokes to go around. That said, health is everything and even though he's old I hope he has many good years left for him and his family. Feel better TLR, just don't come back next year.

There’s not a person in the world that watched his post game press conferences this year and thought he was a good fit, health wise, for this team.  I don’t think this is a PR team, as they wouldn’t have had him meet with the media earlier today.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Quin said:

Then he needs to step down. His good buddy should notice this and not be a knucklehead. 

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year