TLR out for the year

chw42

41 minutes ago, Quin said:

Split this off from the Fire Tony thread.

As infuriating as he is as a manager, I hope he's doing OK. Listening to Fegan talk about Tony after games on the FutureSox podcast really hammered home that these games are just taking a lot out of him.

Not saying that as a joke either. These games are stressful to watch. At his age, I can't imagine the strain of these games are taking on his body.

If this season has taken it's toll on us, It has to be 10x heavier on him. 

Not excusing Tony from this mess, but he was suppose to be leaving his couch to manage a young "great" club where all he basically needed to do was fill out a line-up card and enjoy the ride to a ring.   Every night Hahn has him playing 2-3 men short, including a revolving door to the IL.   On top of that, this offense flat out stinks.   

Managing this team sucks.  As the great Lou Brown once turned down a chance to manage the Cleveland Indians : "Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Quin said:

As infuriating as he is as a manager, I hope he's doing OK. Listening to Fegan talk about Tony after games on the FutureSox podcast really hammered home that these games are just taking a lot out of him.

Not saying that as a joke either. These games are stressful to watch. At his age, I can't imagine the strain of these games are taking on his body.

This may sound cold-hearted, but I really don't care whether he's OK or not. He agreed to take on this job at age 76 after having a second DUI. He clearly wasn't physically cut out to do this for more than a year. He's done this to himself, and made us all miserable in the process.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

I don’t hope for anything significantly wrong with Tony, but I’m also not going to act like I want to ever see him manage again.

Doesn't appear that there are too many people at the park tonight.  The invitations for the farewell party must have been sent out late.

1 hour ago, Quin said:

No doubt that he is under stress due to the poor Sox performance.  A good time and excuse to retire.  Hope he recovers well.

Lucky he missed this one.

DJ and McKnight said he was out there until 430-500, BP time, they did the pregame interview with him or were about to...then he suddenly didn't feel well.

Shouldn't be a total surprise because of the disappointing and increasingly embarrassing last two weeks of pitifulness/ineptitude.

LR missing tonight's game per fans' wishes

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The weird part about this is he participated in the pre game including meeting with some press without a hint something could be wrong. I don't like him, but hopefully OK.

He’s being re-evaluated tomorrow.  Doesn’t seem too serious.  Of course, this being the Sox, they usually wait a week before making a diagnosis.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The weird part about this is he participated in the pre game including meeting with some press without a hint something could be wrong. I don't like him, but hopefully OK.

I think this is very clearly the end of Tony as Sox manager.  To your point, he was fine at his press conference just hours before the game.  Did he suddenly fall ill and was able to immediately see a doctor who told him to sit out tonight’s game? Seems far-fetched to me.  Did he receive a medical diagnosis from a legit physical or medical test that took place prior to his press conference that requires him not to endure White Sox baseball?  Possible, but still seems unlikely.  This wreaks of a planned leave to save face from being fired, but even if it’s truly health related I can’t see him continuing managing at his age.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'll be the cynic and say it - this might be a PR move as much as a health move.

Others have mentioned it throughout the season but this may just be laying the groundwork to give Tony an out. Not doubting he may have health issues, just that publicly having him sit out could also be a calculated move to telegraph the off-season separation. 

Bingo. 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

This may sound cold-hearted, but I really don't care whether he's OK or not. He agreed to take on this job at age 76 after having a second DUI. He clearly wasn't physically cut out to do this for more than a year. He's done this to himself, and made us all miserable in the process.

Goddamn dude.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This is Reinsdorf we are talking about here. This could be all about protecting La Russa's legacy and giving him an out that isn't being fired. Even JR can't be stupid enough to believe TLR can be back here in any capacity next season. 

I definitely believe there are health issues, because he's like 80 fucking years old, and a heavy drinker. But the timing seems quite suspicious. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

I hope he's ok, I truly do. As a person not that much younger than Tony, they don't have to make up medical issues. They can pick any one of a dozen maladies that impact us "seasoned citizens". Just pick one and allow him a gracious exit. 

Actually I suggested what you are suggesting several months ago. Tony walks around with one shoulder really slouching. I said use any physical excuse and give Cairo a look. Either the team takes off so you bring him back ot its more of the same and you won't make the mistake of Cairo in 2023.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Actually I suggested what you are suggesting several months ago. Tony walks around with one shoulder really slouching. I said use any physical excuse and give Cairo a look. Either the team takes off so you bring him back ot its more of the same and you won't make the mistake of Cairo in 2023.

I know doctors who listen to him talk to the media and have said something is wrong 

Edited by fathom

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year