TLR out for the year

chw42

33 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

I really, REALLY want them to go outside the organization for next manager. It’s obvious that they need a new voice. Have real interviews with experienced major league managers and pick the best one regardless of his ties (or lack thereof)  to the White Sox. 

Managing an MLB team shouldn't really be that hard.  I just want someone younger and with fire.  I'd prefer they do a legit search as well, but if AJP wanted the job, I think he'd be a fantastic fit.  He's not a Sox lifer by any stretch and the dude is fiery as AF.  I'd bet my bottom dollar these dudes would play hard for him; the nonchalant no hustle days would be gone immediately.  

What I don't want is some over the hill old goat.  We need a younger voice that is in tune with the current game.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

So what the bloody hell is actually going on??

I have a pretty loose connection to a coach in the org, this aligns with what I was told months ago, that TLR would quietly step away and not return next season.  However, they believed it would be after the season concluded. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Managing an MLB team shouldn't really be that hard.  I just want someone younger and with fire.  I'd prefer they do a legit search as well, but if AJP wanted the job, I think he'd be a fantastic fit.  He's not a Sox lifer by any stretch and the dude is fiery as AF.  I'd bet my bottom dollar these dudes would play hard for him; the nonchalant no hustle days would be gone immediately.  

What I don't want is some over the hill old goat.  We need a younger voice that is in tune with the current game.  

He also fits the catchers make solid managers mold and you can tell how in tune he is during his broadcasts, I think you could do a lot worse than AJP. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

These tweets are from July man.

Yes I know. But I’ve held onto them to see if he would be right or not. I wonder if he thought he’d be moved because of their performance, if he was pulling his prediction out of his ass or if there was a rumor about him in the organization. I bet he knew nothing and made a prediction.

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I have a pretty loose connection to a coach in the org, this aligns with what I was told months ago, that TLR would quietly step away and not return next season.  However, they believed it would be after the season concluded. 

Interesting.  If true, its odd timing to do it now.  The abruptness sure makes it feel like something is up beyond a sudden health issue.

• Like 1

Just now, The Beast said:

Yes I know. But I’ve held onto them to see if he would be right or not. I wonder if he thought he’d be moved because of their performance, if he was pulling his prediction out of his ass or if there was a rumor about him in the organization. I bet he knew nothing and made a prediction.

He was already wrong, and told everyone later on he was guessing, and didn't know anything.

Aside from being 78 years old, he could have some other health issues that have been flaring up recently.  The play of the team and the pressure from the fans has to be taking a toll on him.  Hell, it's taking a toll on us as fans.

This certainly sounds like he could be out for the remainder of the season, which could lead to a soft landing upstairs (not heaven, that's not what I mean).

If he is in poor health, I hope he get better.

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We are so conditioned into the former player madness.  If he wanted to manage he would have started somewhere in an organization.  We don't need anymore Venturas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

The way it was phrased, I don't think it was Covid, and I don't know why they would have him at the park and then leave if it was something planned. 

My guess is he either had some chest pains and they were checking on a possible heart attack or perhaps he had symptoms of a stroke. The press release makes it sound like they didn't expect him back any time soon. Hopefully never, but if something is wrong, I do hope he recovers.

and/or dizziness and runaway blood pressure. Doc said play with the nurses for a few days and you will be back in first place in no time.

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ehh, the latest version of the Sox Machine podcast laid out several reasons why AJP would not be an ideal hire that made a lot of sense.  I truly hope they look outside the org and do a real search this time.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

Interesting.  If true, its odd timing to do it now.  The abruptness sure makes it feel like something is up beyond a sudden health issue.

Full disclosure the connection is my cousin's neighbor is close friends with the coach, often sits in his seats.  But any gossip that makes it my way I take with a big grain of salt and don't typically share here cause I'm not trying to be one of the foodies.  However he has been accurate in the past.  Either way, hope Tony is ok and never manages the Sox again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

So what the bloody hell is actually going on??

As long as he is alive, and quite possibly even after he passes, he can continue accumulating MLB wins until a permanent replacement is named.

I believe Shelley Duncan called dibs on the managerial spot, but he'll be OK letting Tony harvest wins as long as he's getting paid. It's not like he'll get another job in baseball after this runs its course.

Just now, Spumoni said:

Ehh, the latest version of the Sox Machine podcast laid out several reasons why AJP would not be an ideal hire that made a lot of sense.  I truly hope they look outside the org and do a real search this time.

AJ would be Billy Martin Jr. and I like AJ. He would implode within a half-season or so.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

Sure there is and this makes as much sense as any with this piss poor organization.   The odd thing is that he was out there thinking he was managing in a little while. 

I think he’s been given the boot and they’re using this to save face.

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

As long as he is alive, and quite possibly even after he passes, he can continue accumulating MLB wins until a permanent replacement is named.

I believe Shelley Duncan called dibs on the managerial spot, but he'll be OK letting Tony harvest wins as long as he's getting paid. It's not like he'll get another job in baseball after this runs its course.

Wait a minute what happens if Tony misses the playoffs???

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year