TLR out for the year

chw42

31 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

So what the bloody hell is actually going on??

Well this secretiveness is par for the course, remember the Robert lightheadedness confusion to say nothing of his current wrist situation, plus all the times playing shorthanded?

This doesn't appear to be the most competent medical, training and conditioning staffs.

Personally I hope the guy is OK but if this doesn't convince JR that he made a mistake nothing will.

21 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

We are so conditioned into the former player madness.  If he wanted to manage he would have started somewhere in an organization.  We don't need anymore Venturas. 

He’s the opposite of Ventura. I respect the opinion tho. I’d prefer a legit managerial hire like they should have done with Hinch 2 years ago. But if it’s gotta be a former player because that’s the way the Sox do business, I like AJPs fire for this club. Ventura was a bump on a log. 

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I hope it isn't cancer. That is one thing where Tony would probably want to see "his" doctors. I would imagine the Sox get top medical experts.

If they put him on a plane back to AZ, that eliminates a lot of things, including anything immediate like stroke or heart attack.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

He’s the opposite of Ventura. I respect the opinion tho. I’d prefer a legit managerial hire like they should have done with Hinch 2 years ago. But if it’s gotta be a former player because that’s the way the Sox do business, I like AJPs fire for this club. Ventura was a bump on a log. 

The problem is if no one likes or respects you, all of the yelling in the world isn't going to help.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is if no one likes or respects you, all of the yelling in the world isn't going to help.

Sure. Again, I’m not here to debate that AJP is best option. He’s not. I just think his fire would be a welcome change from the current regime that has zero and has left us with a boring lifeless club. I am not familiar enough with how the guys on this club likes or respects Pierzynski to comment on that. But what I do know is what they’re doing currently is not working.

11 minutes ago, pcq said:

Wait a minute what happens if Tony misses the playoffs???

I don't believe that has happened before (a manager on a team inactive but not replaced skipping the playoffs).

I do know Tony continued accumulating wins when he was away with the shingles as Cardinals manager. Tito also accumulated wins while away from the Guardians in 2005, 2017, most of the 2020 owner lockout season, and the final two months of 2021.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/francte01.shtml

Unless your resign or are fired, you accumulate wins-losses while away from the team. The White Sox officially replaced Ozzie Guillen with Don Cooper, which is why he has a 1-1 record as MLB Manager for the final two games of 2011. If Ozzie was away sick or whatever, he would have those two games credited to his record.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Well this secretiveness is par for the course, remember the Robert lightheadedness confusion to say nothing of his current wrist situation, plus all the times playing shorthanded?

This doesn't appear to be the most competent medical, training and conditioning staffs.

Personally I hope the guy is OK but if this doesn't convince JR that he made a mistake nothing will.

There’s a bar in AZ called “Doctor’s office”

Too soon?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

There’s a bar in AZ called “Doctor’s office”

Too soon?

Tony got treated at the Mayo Clinic in Arizona for his shingles episode with the Cardinals.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/la-russa-rejoins-cards-after-shingles-absence

La Russa has been slowed by swelling on the right side of his face that nearly shut his eye. He went to the Mayo Clinic in Arizona last week and later returned to St. Louis.

The manager's biggest regret was not getting treated right away.

"I just wish I'd taken pain medicine," La Russa said. "I went through all that agony for nothing."

La Russa said he spent much of his time away from the team at his Busch Stadium office, and watched all of the games on television. Bench coach Joe Pettini served as acting manager while La Russa was away, and the manager had no complaints.

Yeah I really don’t think conspiracy theories are needed when a soon to be 78 year old can’t travel and/or work almost every day. Seems pretty straight forward that it would negatively impact his health. The fact that he was doing it is weirded than not being able to do it in my opinion, 77 is really f’ing old and it’s not like he’s in tip top shape by any means 

• Like 2

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/08/31/tony-la-russa-white-sox-manager-out-health-heart-tests/7952912001/

For what its worth, Boob's article says it was a heart issue flagged yesterday from a recent visit to the cardiologist and further tests today indicated that he needed additional testing and headed home to AZ to get that done.

Edited by ChiSox59

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Bart Johnson claims that Chuck Tanner kicked someone's ass in his office once. Maybe that would help??

The guy hasn't looked well in a long time. If JR and TLR don't realize he needs to retire now they never will. 

The time is right now to clean house. Bring in a GM and Manager that have had nothing to do with White Sox baseball. Bring in an entire new training staff that practices all the latest cutting edge ideas when it comes to conditioning and nutrition. 

Hire a GM who believes in defense and athleticism and finding players who are driven to win. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yeah I really don’t think conspiracy theories are needed when a soon to be 78 year old can’t travel and/or work almost every day. Seems pretty straight forward that it would negatively impact his health. The fact that he was doing it is weirded than not being able to do it in my opinion, 77 is really f’ing old and it’s not like he’s in tip top shape by any means 

It really is. I know people are sorta conditioned to just work until you croak these days but 77 is a pretty ripe age. A lifetime of stress and drinking like TLR has done takes its toll, especially at 77.

If this is the end of Tony's managerial career, I wish him good health and more years of retirement in Arizona nowhere near the White Sox. 

If this is the end, an extensive and legit search better take place. AJ would be a train wreck. No experience and likely a bad fit for the Latin players. My choice was/is Sandy Alomar Jr. Great background and learned under Tito.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year