TLR out for the year

chw42

I believe Tony deserves a soft landing. I hope he recovers and can live a long life. If this is a PR stunt to allow him a graceful exit, I'm pissed because I do have empathy for anyone suffering health issues bad enough that they end a career. 

I am a little sad how pessimistic so many people are about their life span. My mother in law is 90 and lives a very active life. Folks over 70 have climbed Everest, sailed solo around the world, created masterpieces in all art forms. Your life doesn't have to crater in your 70s. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

If this is the end of Tony's managerial career, I wish him good health and more years of retirement in Arizona nowhere near the White Sox. 

If this is the end, an extensive and legit search better take place. AJ would be a train wreck. No experience and likely a bad fit for the Latin players. My choice was/is Sandy Alomar Jr. Great background and learned under Tito.

Why hasn't he gotten a job other places he's interviewed? I'm not sold on Sandy

• Thanks 1

So if Larussa did become ill screaming at the team and no one respected him what do you think Jerry's orders are gonna be when we gets the full story? Think he might send some of these guys packing? Even tho it's his own fault in bringing in LaRussa

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I believe Tony deserves a soft landing. I hope he recovers and can live a long life. If this is a PR stunt to allow him a graceful exit, I'm pissed because I do have empathy for anyone suffering health issues bad enough that they end a career. 

I am a little sad how pessimistic so many people are about their life span. My mother in law is 90 and lives a very active life. Folks over 70 have climbed Everest, sailed solo around the world, created masterpieces in all art forms. Your life doesn't have to crater in your 70s. 

I don't buy that this is cover. Do you think the White Sox approach Tony LaRussa and say "Hey man, you stink and you're out, were going to need you to pretend to be sick and step down so we don't have to actually fire you" and Tony is like "Sounds good."

No way.

17 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I should preface this by saying that I obviously don't want him to die or anything, but how are we as fans supposed to react to this? I don't feel bad for him, if it's that hard on him, he should resign. 

The whole thing sucks. I hope he gets better, and I hope he doesn't return to the team. The fact that failing the former would lead to the latter of course doesn't mean I don't want him to be fine. 

If anything, this just makes me more mad at the org. I have certainly made jokes about Tony/Jerry dying, weekend at Bernies, etc, in real life if not on here. Obviously I didn't actually want him or Jerry to have health issues -- the performance of my favorite baseball team isn't worth anyone's life, even someone who has made high-profile off-the-field mistakes. But the reason we make these jokes is because we feel that we've been backed into a corner where there is no path to a contending team without these horrible things happening. We won't actually root for them to happen, so we joke about them instead. In a functioning org, we wouldn't have even had the temptation to make these sorts of jokes.

But those jokes suddenly feel real hollow when a health scare actually strikes. I guess, in the end, it just makes me reconsider whether I should make nihilist jokes or comments about Weekend at Bernie's or Tony coaching until he kicks the bucket or things like that.  This is still a human being, and if I wouldn't say these things to his face I shouldn't say them when hiding behind the anonymity of a message board.

Anyway.... Jerry when?

4 minutes ago, gusguyman said:

The whole thing sucks. I hope he gets better, and I hope he doesn't return to the team. The fact that failing the former would lead to the latter of course doesn't mean I don't want him to be fine. 

If anything, this just makes me more mad at the org. I have certainly made jokes about Tony/Jerry dying, weekend at Bernies, etc, in real life if not on here. Obviously I didn't actually want him or Jerry to have health issues -- the performance of my favorite baseball team isn't worth anyone's life, even someone who has made high-profile off-the-field mistakes. But the reason we make these jokes is because we feel that we've been backed into a corner where there is no path to a contending team without these horrible things happening. We won't actually root for them to happen, so we joke about them instead. In a functioning org, we wouldn't have even had the temptation to make these sorts of jokes.

But those jokes suddenly feel real hollow when a health scare actually strikes. I guess, in the end, it just makes me reconsider whether I should make nihilist jokes or comments about Weekend at Bernie's or Tony coaching until he kicks the bucket or things like that.  This is still a human being, and if I wouldn't say these things to his face I shouldn't say them when hiding behind the anonymity of a message board.

Anyway.... Jerry when?

I get what you mean. I think, especially among the younger generation, there is an increasingly common sentiment that in order for things (which I am being purposely vague about, but it could be in politics, sports, etc.) to get better to a meaningful degree, there is sometimes no choice but to wait for certain people to die. It's super nihilistic, but I see it all the time now. However, it's another thing to have that attitude and then manifest it by actively wishing for it to happen, like you said

13 minutes ago, Texsox said:

There’s exceptions to everything…doesn’t change the fact that the guy is literally at the average life expectancy of someone who lives in this country. Whether we like the job he’s done or not, being a manager of a professional sports team isn’t easy. Never mind the constant travel and non-stop schedule, but the stress involved (especially when underachieving) is real. We’ve all seen head coaches have to step away due to health concerns at MUCH younger ages. 

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Mom still hanging in at 93, sister 101, dad's two brothers 94 and 97, one fought at the end of WW II in the South Pacific against the Japanese.

• Love 1

24 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I wonder if that is kinda a fake illness so that TLR has a graceful way out. 

The season is not entirely his fault as anderson, grandal, eloy and robert missed big parts of the season and the org has no offensive depth but maybe even jerry saw that tony doesn't have it anymore. 

If it was, having him seemingly doing normal meetings yesterday then springing this out of nowhere is still rather weird. 

13 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Graveman talking about Tony in the past tense.

A lot of hemming and hawing in here about what Tony meant to the clubhouse.  He clarified "I" twice when he finally got on a roll and talked about how much wins and losses meant to Tony.   Given how athletes are programmed to speak in the "we" collective, it just struck me as an interesting answer.

I don't know.  I thought he lost the clubhouse last season so I don't expect any tearful reactions from players or jerseys hung in the dugout.  I'm sure no one on that team wishes him death or any serious ailment but I'm also sure the vast majority of those guys, on a baseball level rather than a personal level, are ecstatic he's gone.

• Haha 1

This shit mostly is on Jerry. Tony has fault yeah for coming back but how tone deaf is Jerry? He wanted to make up for firing him? Huh at the time it was the right move. Who says Tony would have become Tony if he's not fired? He walked into a good situation in Oakland that team was up and coming and made some good moves to solidify, plus the cheating. So don't tell me you are making it up to him. Gotta be better Jerry

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If it was, having him seemingly doing normal meetings yesterday then springing this out of nowhere is still rather weird. 

That is weird, and like was stated above if it was a stroke or heart attack they aren't putting him on a plane 

I'm guessing he probably was examined and the results came back before the game. Another twist was Dave Stewart was visiting him for some reason

• TLR 1

2 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

A lot of hemming and hawing in here about what Tony meant to the clubhouse.  He clarified "I" twice when he finally got on a roll and talked about how much wins and losses meant to Tony.   Given how athletes are programmed to speak in the "we" collective, it just struck me as an interesting answer.

I don't know.  I thought he lost the clubhouse last season so I don't expect any tearful reactions from players or jerseys hung in the dugout.  I'm sure no one on that team wishes him death or any serious ailment but I'm also sure the vast majority of those guys, on a baseball level rather than a personal level, are ecstatic he's gone.

He lost the clubhouse with the yermin Thing no doubt

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That is weird, and like was stated above if it was a stroke or heart attack they aren't putting him on a plane 

I'm guessing he probably was examined and the results came back before the game. Another twist was Dave Stewart was visiting him for some reason

I'd go with he was doing his meetings and felt a little light headed and told someone once he got inside and they did a test or two and switched into caution mode.

Managers, coaches ect like TLR know no other way of life. They have no hobbies or life outside of the sport they are involved with. They just keep managing until no one hires them anymore or something like this forces them to stop.

Stress is an absolute silent killer. The most valuable thing any person can have in life is peace of mind. 

Hopefully this is the slap in the face that gets both JR and TLR's attention. It is time to hang it up and try to find some peace of mind away from the game. 

It is now time for new young blood in the organization. 

• Hawk 1

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year