TLR out for the year

chw42

1 hour ago, DirtySox said:

27 minutes ago, fathom said:

It was nice of Hahn to be invisible the last two days. What a gigantic coward.

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Given Hahn's arrogance calling out Sox fans saying he felt they wanted the rebuild so fail so they could say 'I told you so', his 10 year record as G.M. and his terrible off-season leading into this year I'm guessing he'd rather have an impacted wisdom tooth than appear before the media.

At least Tony was man enough to report to work every single day, as difficult as it may have been for a 77 year old man. Tony did his best, even if he wasn't good enough, and worked with the team to the best of his abilities. Regardless of how bad he came off at times, it's hard to argue he didn't care about his players.

Hahn is such a pathetic failure as a human being and faux leader. Couldn't handle Adam LaRoche and his 13 year old child. Can't handle mean tweets and legitimate criticism of his horrible performance without throwing a hissy fit. Can't man up and meet with the media this homestand. Declines to meet with the team face to face (or hold a video meeting if he is out of town) to speak with them directly seemingly for a second straight day after Tony's health incident.

Tony should be able to take his time before announcing his future intentions. However, if Jerry Reinsdorf had any respect for the players who give their all and the fans and taxpayers who made him a billionaire, assuming Rick doesn't have a legitimate reason why he hasn't spoke with the team (health of a family member, or another emergency calling him away from the team and area that prevented him from speaking with the team either yesterday or pre-game today), Jerry should fire Rick Hahn immediately. meet with the team directly to speak with them to explain he and others in the organization have their backs and work to support the team.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Rick Hahn was at the ballpark two days ago. So why is Andrew Vaughn hearing about Tony La Russa via twitter, and why are White Sox hearing about Tony La Russa from Andrew Vaughn and Kendall Graveman and not Rick Hahn?

Edited by South Side Hit Men

You mean hiring a 77 year old guy, with health concerns, and a history of alcohol abuse, was probably a terrible idea?

You don't say.

People have been questioning his health and mental health since....he was fucking hired. This is just such a shocker, right?

Just reinstates what a TERRIBLE FUCKING HIRE this was to begin with.

I don't wish ill upon TLR, but I'm sure he will be fine. This reeks of giving a guy a respectable out, for someone who never should have been hired to begin with.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

You mean hiring a 77 year old guy, with health concerns, and a history of alcohol abuse, was probably a terrible idea?

You don't say.

People have been questioning his health and mental health since....he was fucking hired. This is just such a shocker, right?

Just reinstates what a TERRIBLE FUCKING HIRE this was to begin with.

I don't wish ill upon TLR, but I'm sure he will be fine. This reeks of giving a guy a respectable out, for someone who never should have been hired to begin with.

Never underestimate what is going through the mind of JR. If TLR gets a clean bill of health I've no doubt he'll return as manager, later this year and/or next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

At least Tony was man enough to report to work every single day, as difficult as it may have been for a 77 year old man. Tony did his best, even if he wasn't good enough, and worked with the team to the best of his abilities. Regardless of how bad he came off at times, it's hard to argue he didn't care about his players.

Hahn is such a pathetic failure as a human being and faux leader. Couldn't handle Adam LaRoche and his 13 year old child. Can't handle mean tweets and legitimate criticism of his horrible performance without throwing a hissy fit. Can't man up and meet with the media this homestand. Declines to meet with the team face to face (or hold a video meeting if he is out of town) to speak with them directly seemingly for a second straight day after Tony's health incident.

Tony should be able to take his time before announcing his future intentions. However, if Jerry Reinsdorf had any respect for the players who give their all and the fans and taxpayers who made him a billionaire, assuming Rick doesn't have a legitimate reason why he hasn't spoke with the team (health of a family member, or another emergency calling him away from the team and area that prevented him from speaking with the team either yesterday or pre-game today), Jerry should fire Rick Hahn immediately. meet with the team directly to speak with them to explain he and others in the organization have their backs and work to support the team.

White Sox organization gets an F in business management.  Hahn buddies at Harvard should do a case study on the Sox and what not to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think this just sums up what a monumentally bad hire TLR was, or any 77 year old as a manager of a pro-sports team. The Sox are entering a vital last month where their slim playoff chances could be made or broken and they are effectively managerless and rudderless. 

The likelihood of any 77 year old surviving the slog of a 162 game season without health concerns are poor, I am only 52 and the thought of just attending 162 games with all the travel involved is daunting, let alone add to that the pressure of managing a pro-sports team. If JR was indeed a friend of TLR he would not want to put him through that, and even if TLR makes a full recovery he should not be allowed to continue as manager for his own good as much as the good of the team.

• Like 1

If I was Tony's PR advisor . . . 

Tony took according to knowledgeable fans a seriously flawed roster built to lose for an owner who should sell, designed by one of the worst GMs in baseball, (who also needs to be fired), and managed them to a 156 - 134 record while having basically almost everyone on the roster injured at some point. Plus most of the current players publically support him. 

5 hours ago, hankchifan said:

White Sox organization gets an F in business management.  Hahn buddies at Harvard should do a case study on the Sox and what not to do.

"I don't care what players have to say, Hahn is the most important. The front office needs to be more involved in the clubhouse."

No one ever.

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Tony took according to knowledgeable fans a seriously flawed roster built to lose for an owner who should sell, designed by one of the worst GMs in baseball, (who also needs to be fired), and managed them to a 156 - 134 record while having basically almost everyone on the roster injured at some point. Plus most of the current players publically support him. 

Unprecedented financial flexibility.

Multiple World Series championship window of at least 3-5 years, if not longer.

Worst division in baseball, and it's not even that close with NL Central in all honesty for the very bottom

Other four are so much better.  And last playoff series win was 2017 or 2016 Indians/Guardians.

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You quite very possibly misspelled BS advisor.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Unprecedented financial flexibility.

Multiple World Series championship window of at least 3-5 years, if not longer.

Worst division in baseball, and it's not even that close with NL Central in all honesty for the very bottom

Other four are so much better.  And last playoff series win was 2017 or 2016 Indians/Guardians.

Yep add years of futility and mismanagement before Tony got here. 

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The worry of course is that they'll have another sham search having already decided far in advance Cairo is getting the job.

There is no worry there! Cairo has zero chance of being the permanent manager if TLR steps down, other than the interim manager position to finish the season. He is strictly here because of Tony. I am quite sure Hahn has no intention of hiring him either. There is no way Hahn would give the job to Cairo without a full blown manager search. Plus, with all the massive criticism Jerry took hiring Tony, I am also quite sure Jerry will completely stay out of the next Sox manager hire and let Hahn make the decision. Although I would pray Jerry would also dump Hahn and let some new outside executive from a winning organization come in to make that next manager decision.

The only worry is if Jerry would be dumb enough to put TLR in some executive position in the front office. However having said that, if indeed Tony's health is a major problem, then doing a FO job would be stressful as well, so hopefully TLR would just move on and retire.

33 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

There is no worry there! Cairo has zero chance of being the permanent manager if TLR steps down, other than the interim manager position to finish the season. He is strictly here because of Tony. I am quite sure Hahn has no intention of hiring him either. There is no way Hahn would give the job to Cairo without a full blown manager search. Plus, with all the massive criticism Jerry took hiring Tony, I am also quite sure Jerry will completely stay out of the next Sox manager hire and let Hahn make the decision. Although I would pray Jerry would also dump Hahn and let some new outside executive from a winning organization come in to make that next manager decision.

The only worry is if Jerry would be dumb enough to put TLR in some executive position in the front office. However having said that, if indeed Tony's health is a major problem, then doing a FO job would be stressful as well, so hopefully TLR would just move on and retire.

Hahn is not qualified to make managerial decisions, even for an organization as pathetic as the White Sox. He needs to be fired immediately, if not sooner.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn is not qualified to make managerial decisions, even for an organization as pathetic as the White Sox. He needs to be fired immediately, if not sooner.

I totally agree with you that Hahn is not qualified and should be fired!  I am not a Hahn advocate as I have stated in numerous posts. However I am dealing with the sad and absurd reality that Jerry is a demented, arrogant and ignorant dumbF@#k that doesn't realize Hahn isn't capable. As I have said numerous times, I want Hahn fired and some new outside baseball executive from a winning organization to be brought in.

We can wish Hahn and TLR gone all we want, but as long as Jerry is in charge, anything stupid can happen, as we have seen with his inept ownership decisions.

• TLR 1

19 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

If this is the end, an extensive and legit search better take place. AJ would be a train wreck. No experience and likely a bad fit for the Latin players. My choice was/is Sandy Alomar Jr. Great background and learned under Tito.

Sandy would be at the top of my choices as well. Former catcher, Former Sox Player, Learning under one of the best, and some real-time experience too as an Interim.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Sounds a bit like Konerko, Dye and Thome in 2006…

He's not entirely wrong...

On paper, this is one of the most talented teams in baseball, with a proven history of playing great. 

Better men than me need to figure out how to make that happen and make them reach their potential.

3 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

He's not entirely wrong...

On paper, this is one of the most talented teams in baseball, with a proven history of playing great. 

Better men than me need to figure out how to make that happen and make them reach their potential.

I do not see that great talent. Their playoff record suggests they were over-rated in my view. Granted the constant injuries have taken their toll.

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

So you think Hahn put together a good roster built to win and JR shouldn't sell? 

Harrison wasn't an awful choice for 2B in that he's a solid defender.  Not a great stick but, given the lineup we thought we had, we could absorb a bit less production from 2B.

Pollock for RF was not a bad pickup, at all.  Not a lefty but his L/R splits were pretty even.  Solid, professional hitter with good pop.  Bit of a health risk but filled a need.

Kelly has been a disaster but, as the 6th-7th inning guy, he was not a bad gamble to sign..

We lost two lefties out of the pen, both late inning guys in Crochet and Bummer.  I don't think we appreciate how big of a hole these two injuries created.

AV was clearly supposed to DH this season but injuries have forced him into the OF.  Hahn had to plan on Eloy in LF.  He's a better OF than Vaughn and needed to prove he could stay healthy out there.  

Were you upset we had Yoan and Yas in the lineup on opening day?  I wasn't.  RH couldn't have predicted such awful seasons from two core LH pieces.

Gio? TA? Lynn? Luis's health? 

The opening day roster, on paper, did not have anyone screaming that this was destined to fail.  Injuries and underperformance have played an outsized role in the season's outcome.  A GM can only put so many contingencies in place...eventually, if holes keep appearing, the ship is going to sink.  Do I think he misallocated some money?  Absolutely (VV and LG, especially).  Should he have retained Rodon?  For sure.  But to imply this was a bad opening day roster is just hyperbole and revisionist.  The roster is the one reason the national press, the team, and fans all believed we would be a WS contender this season.

• Thanks 1

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year