TLR out for the year

chw42

45 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I just don't see how this is true. I can see the players respecting his career and maybe they even like him as a person but I don't think they truly like that he is managing this ballclub and some of the decisions he makes

I mean what are they gonna say? You stick a mic in their face and ask about Tony you really think the staff and players are gonna be like “Hope Tony is alright, but fuckina man he’s awful at his job. This is a blessing in disguise!”? I mean cmon. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

I guess Gavin Sheets and Elvis Andrus are the other two.

Can you give me a single example of a player, interviewed about their manager or coach, who has EVER said something negative about them when they are away from the team? Come on.

What are the players supposed to say? "Fuck Tony. We are glad he's sick and away from the team. Maybe now we can have fun and play good baseball." ??

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

Can you give me a single example of a player, interviewed about their manager or coach, who has EVER said something negative about them when they are away from the team? Come on.

What are the players supposed to say? "Fuck Tony. We are glad he's sick and away from the team. Maybe now we can have fun and play good baseball." ??

Why is it so hard for you to accept that the players like Tony lol?

He's not the antichrist. They respect the guy and seem to like him as a person. 

Like I said, you're projecting your opinion of Tony on to the players.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • TLR 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean what are they gonna say? You stick a mic in their face and ask about Tony you really think the staff and players are gonna be like “Hope Tony is alright, but fuckina man he’s awful at his job. This is a blessing in disguise!”? I mean cmon. 

Right on target.  Who then should we ask?  How 'bout an ex-player.  Keuchel?  McGuire?

42 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Why is it so hard for you to accept that the players like Tony lol?

He's not the antichrist. They respect the guy and seem to like him as a person. 

Like I said, you're projecting your opinion of Tony on to the players.

Maybe they like going for a drink with him after the game, or even before the game. 😉

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I always talk bad about my boss in public interviews 

8 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

Right on target.  Who then should we ask?  How 'bout an ex-player.  Keuchel?  McGuire?

McGuire isn’t a guy who is likely going to burn bridges with any franchise, particularly since he has some other off the field issues that teams will hear about if they acquire him.

Keuchel clearly doesn’t care about doing so, but there’s a decent chance he’s a jerk who only has a ring thanks to cheaters so possibly a bit biased.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean I always talk bad about my boss in public interviews 

If I was running their media operation I would probably have talking points prepared for a guy like Andrus coming into a new spot. The team knows what stuff local reporters will ask about, Andrus can’t know the big story for all 30 teams. Even if he doesn’t follow them, a heads up is probably appreciated by veteran players.

45 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I can't help but view this as a veiled shot at TLR and or the FO.   

Choosing to suggest that there are repercussions from management for expressing some things is an interesting statement, but with Stone's twitter personality I can never tell if he actually means anything by it.

I think it is true the players by and large tuned Tony out since the Mercedes incident, but care about Tony on a personal level because he was with them everyday for nearly two seasons.

Most likely also respected the fact that he worked hard at his age each and everyday, regardless of whether they agreed with his managerial approach.

Would wager the players have far more respect for Tony than for Jerry or Hahn, with Jose and perhaps a few others being the exceptions to this assumption.

Most of us have worked for managers we may have liked personally, but also knew they weren’t effective managers (and vice versa).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

I just don't see how this is true. I can see the players respecting his career and maybe they even like him as a person but I don't think they truly like that he is managing this ballclub and some of the decisions he makes

I disagree. Ballplayers aren't like fans (captain obvious). They realize the second guessing of managerial decisions is basically dumb fan stuff. Except for walking guys with 1-2 counts, which probably made the players shake their heads and laugh inside more than get mad), managers pretty much are all the same. Players are 100 percent different from fans. I would think they love Tony. 

I'm sorry but you have to dig deep inside. Any second guessing any of us do may make us feel better on here but would make managers laugh their butts off. That's why Stone gets in trouble on twitter blasting people who say 'fan type' stuff. And that's why players probably love Tony.

Edited by greg775

18 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Why then they were not playing hard for their loved skipper before he was out to Arizona sick?

Yes. If anything,  playing hard "for him" only when he's gone makes him look even worse. The more I think about this situation,  the stranger it gets. Forget the Sox aren't providing updates, but if his condition was so dire, he had to leave immediately,  why would Cairo consult with him every day?  Wouldn't a doctor be opposed to that?

9 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

why would Cairo consult with him every day?  Wouldn't a doctor be opposed to that?

No.

Virtually every in-game decision TLR made was filtered through Cairo and other members of TLR's  coaching staff.  TLR frequently consulted  with them throughout every game and before almost every major decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • TLR 1

In 2001, Indiana University fired their head coach Bobby Knight. While he still put together winning teams it had been nearly a decade since the school had a tourney run or a conference championship.

Immediately the team made a run to the championship game in the 2002 tournament. They weren’t the best team but it was like a weight was lifted from their shoulders. Before he was fired they were so scared of doing anything wrong that would anger their old, increasingly prejudiced coach that it poisoned their willingness to let their own abilities shine through. As soon as he got himself fired, it was like a switch flipped, even though his replacement was nothing special they became special. He had just become that bad that literally anything else fixed the problem.

I have no idea why I am reminded of this.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

In 2001, Indiana University fired their head coach Bobby Knight. While he still put together winning teams it had been nearly a decade since the school had a tourney run or a conference championship.

Immediately the team made a run to the championship game in the 2002 tournament. They weren’t the best team but it was like a weight was lifted from their shoulders. Before he was fired they were so scared of doing anything wrong that would anger their old, increasingly prejudiced coach that it poisoned their willingness to let their own abilities shine through. As soon as he got himself fired, it was like a switch flipped, even though his replacement was nothing special they became special. He had just become that bad that literally anything else fixed the problem.

I have no idea why I am reminded of this.

greta-how-dare-you.gif

parks_and_recreation_ron_swanson_bobby_k

• knightni changed the title to TLR wants to return this season
  • Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year