TLR out for the year

chw42

3 hours ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps the front office intentionally floated the idea of a possible return, in an attempt to gauge the reaction. It's hard to believe that they are so obtuse that they haven't figured it out yet. However, why should we have confidence that they know what they're doing. I don't care how this all plays out, as long as the Sox have a different manager, next season.

Loyal fans deserve better than all of this unnecessary drama. This organization has managed to become very difficult to support. Frankly, even if they win the division, if their record is just a little over .500, and they succeed in the post season, it would be a hallow, tainted victory, for many. The Sox don't belong in the same company as great teams, which have compiled significant winning records, during the season. What if they played the Dodgers, in the World Series and won. Would anyone really think that the Sox were a better team than the Dodgers? Just get this season over with, and try to fix it, before this window closes.

Um, no it wouldn’t.  Um, that would be the greatest thing ever.  This is the kind of thing I imagine overly-online, perspective-warped Soxtalk posters *thinking* but not actually saying out loud.  Talk about “obtuse.”

If there is wagering on Tony's return to the team, this is my selection:

Phoenix PHX to San Francisco SFO

Saturday, September 10
7:15 am to 9:21 am Nonstop
  • Arrival airport is near OAK
Duration: 2 hours 6 minutes
Travelers: 1
Anthony La Russa Jr.
Flight Number: UA 1530
Aircraft type: Airbus A319

45 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Saturday, September 10
Anthony La Russa Jr.

7AM flight on a Saturday for a drinker? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Saturday, September 10
Anthony La Russa Jr.

😢

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Paulie4Pres said:

f*** TLR, and what he wants. 

Bye bye, you fucking zombie. Should have stayed retired. What an absolute stain this return to managing will be on his career. Nobody is going to remember s%*#, aside from this DISASTER of a season with him at the helm.

Again, f*** TLR. Go get another DUI asshole.

Why beat around the bush. Just tell us what you really feel about TLR.

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Until JR leaves, it will always be a shitshow since he will keep Hahn / Tony and Paxson as long as he is alive and involved in day to day. Gar Pax would still be running the Bulls if Jerry didn’t hand them over to Michael..

In a normal organization with normal ownership, the primary target would  be Hahn, since an owner would interview and hire a qualified replacement, who in turn would replace the manager as the first order of business. 

I'm not certain that you always fire the GM when you fire a manager. Especially if by most accounts the manager wasn't the GM's pick. 

7 hours ago, MexSoxFan#1 said:

Exactly, both the Giants and Dodgers had better overall record than the Braves last season yet no one will remember that and I bet no Braves fan is complaining that Atlanta won.

If the Sox finished this regular season with a .547 winning percentage, as the Braves did last year, I wouldn't "complain" either. The Braves had 88 wins, in their 161 game season and won 8 of their last 10 games. That is not the hypothetical scenario, to which I was referring. I'm talking about a scenario, in which the Sox barely finish over .500, and still manage to win the worst division in baseball. If they played in the East, instead of the Red Sox, they would currently be in last place. It's not a matter of simply not having as good of a record as other post season contenders. My point is that this team has been mediocre, for the entire season. However, there is still time to change all of that. Hey, maybe they'll go on a real hot streak, and get to 88 wins themselves. Like most Sox fans, I'd take pride in that finish and season, but I'm not holding my breath. Moreover, if TLR returns, in that scenario, any hope of a new manager, for next year, would vanish. That is, of course, unless he chose to walk away.

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

Perhaps the front office intentionally floated the idea of a possible return, in an attempt to gauge the reaction. It's hard to believe that they are so obtuse that they haven't figured it out yet. However, why should we have confidence that they know what they're doing. I don't care how this all plays out, as long as the Sox have a different manager, next season.

Loyal fans deserve better than all of this unnecessary drama. This organization has managed to become very difficult to support. Frankly, even if they win the division, if their record is just a little over .500, and they succeed in the post season, it would be a hallow, tainted victory, for many. The Sox don't belong in the same company as great teams, which have compiled significant winning records, during the season. What if they played the Dodgers, in the World Series and won. Would anyone really think that the Sox were a better team than the Dodgers? Just get this season over with, and try to fix it, before this window closes.

I think Balogna’s camp leaked it to Heyman.  I think this is the Sox FO pushing back.  Just my opinion.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lillian said:

Any team can win a series against another team. Would you honestly delude yourself into believing that the Sox were the better team? I wouldn't. I would just call it luck. How long has it been that the Sox have been playing .500 baseball? So winning the worst division in baseball, with barely a winning record, would make you very happy, as long as they won a few post season series and the World Series. It wouldn't be very satisfying for me, after watching an entire season of mediocrity. I guess that I'm harder to please. 

What you just described is the 2021 Atlanta Braves. Pretty sure their fans enjoyed last season more than the dominant late 90s teams that fell short of a title.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

7AM flight on a Saturday for a drinker? 

He’s a HOFer, he’s legit, brother.

I figure he meets Dave Stewart for dinner Saturday night, attends his ceremony the next day, and then flies back with the team to resume managing on Tuesday. 

Can also see him waiting until Friday, to avoid two extra trips in three days  (Colorado & Cleveland makeup game).

22 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

What you just described is the 2021 Atlanta Braves. Pretty sure their fans enjoyed last season more than the dominant late 90s teams that fell short of a title.

I dunno.  I’m a baseball purist so I just silk-screen my own Dodgers World Champion t-shirts every October 1 or so and turn off the TV for a few months.  Forget the fluky performances of players in the biggest games of the year when the world is watching and the pressure’s on.  Real champions are crowned in May!

8 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

TLR wants to return huh?  I think the players are saying hell no. 
giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ay63iwld8xaugoxgla

Oddly most of the public comments since Tony was hired have been positive. Liam even stated playing for Tony factored into his decision to come to Chicago. Tim has backed him. 

He gives guys too many chances in my book and is too loyal to players for my taste but I could see the guys playing for him liking that. 

We hate him, but our perspective is different. 

13 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not watching or following any playoffs period, regardless if the Sox make it. Only followed this regular season (and previous regular seasons) because of Rotisserie Baseball, which I’m retiring from after playing most seasons since 1985.

2005 and 2020 were the only two years I was vested in the postseason (2020 just the Sox series) since 1993. Last year, I did watch several innings of the Houston vs. Sox Series, but wasn’t upset Dusty pwned Tony’s ass. Didn’t bother watching 2000 or 2008, the latter more so because I was busy at the time.

Most baseball fans still enjoy the regular season baseball without dealing with the farcical playoffs. TV ratings show most Americans do not give a rats ass about the sham 10–12 team postseason, despite solid regular season attendance at non tanking teams and television engagement locally throughout the season. 

Should have quit following the day to day of MLB last year before the lockout. Will take some time off, may consider following again down the road after the three assholes are gone (JR, TLR, RH). I’ll at least consider attending Sox games again beyond free tickets depending on the new owners.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Oh was this after no pitching help was added and they had 2 real pitchers and a bullpen full of rookies?

Wouldn’t you say Rick Hahn definitely has some blame on that point?

I do put most of the blame on TLR as well but also realize Hahn is the one constructing the roster.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

This will be interesting to say the least. Obviously the corpse of Tony wants to come back. He's a super villain and it's nearing Halloween. It's the scariest thing for all Sox fans. His team for sure is leaking stuff to Heyman. On the other side I think it's clear the Sox are leaking their PR news too. A complete guess on my end, but I have a feeling "most" of the Sox office is trying to distance themselves from Tony and are in our camp. I think that JR and others in the Sox org. don't have the balls to fire him or tell him he's no longer welcome. I also think this retirement ceremony can kick rocks. Without it I'm not sure how Tony just shows up to the park one day. This is an invitation from an opposing team ... he gets his face out there showing "hey i'm good to go, healthy, can travel, etc." Puts the Sox in a tough position. 

What should happen is the Sox just man up and release him of his duties. 

What might happen is the Sox go deep in the Hahn bag of lawyer tricks and find a way to frame the health issues as a way to keep him away.

What likely happens is the old bag of bones is back with this team on Tuesday

• Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year