TLR out for the year

chw42

43 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I dunno.  I’m a baseball purist so I just silk-screen my own Dodgers World Champion t-shirts every October 1 or so and turn off the TV for a few months.  Forget the fluky performances of players in the biggest games of the year when the world is watching and the pressure’s on.  Real champions are crowned in May!

Pfft, why wait until May when you can win the off-season ever year!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Texsox said:

@South Side Hit Men you got my attention with most fans don't watch the playoffs only the regular season? 

What are you basing that on? The Field of Dreams game was the most watched regular season games with about 5.9 million viewers. Over 10 million watched the opening game of the WS. 

Back in the day, most of the nation followed the Kentucky Derby and the World Series, even if they didn’t follow the sport. As late as the 1980s, baseball drew 41M viewers in 1981, and averaged around 35M over the 1980s.

Population has grown over 90 million over the past four decades, just over 40%. Meanwhile, World Series viewers have dropped about 70% over the same period, to 9.8M in 2020 (with Los Angeles), and 11.7M last year (3% of the population). The Cubs (2016) and Red Cubs (2004) novelties were the only two WS over the past two decades to draw over 20M viewers, snd viewership has been in steady decline over each decade.

The MLB fans left still watch their local team during the season, but by and large pass on National televised games, including the watered down playoffs and World Series.

2 hours ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox finished this regular season with a .547 winning percentage, as the Braves did last year, I wouldn't "complain" either. The Braves had 88 wins, in their 161 game season and won 8 of their last 10 games. That is not the hypothetical scenario, to which I was referring. I'm talking about a scenario, in which the Sox barely finish over .500, and still manage to win the worst division in baseball. If they played in the East, instead of the Red Sox, they would currently be in last place. It's not a matter of simply not having as good of a record as other post season contenders. My point is that this team has been mediocre, for the entire season. However, there is still time to change all of that. Hey, maybe they'll go on a real hot streak, and get to 88 wins themselves. Like most Sox fans, I'd take pride in that finish and season, but I'm not holding my breath. Moreover, if TLR returns, in that scenario, any hope of a new manager, for next year, would vanish. That is, of course, unless he chose to walk away.

There are many instances in history of the game where the White Sox missed out because of their division or simply by being in the AL with the Yankees for the first 60+ years of baseball.

Getting in is all that matters. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

This is where Rick "he was always against the LaRussa hire" Hahn needs to finally show some guts and insist that La Russa stay in Arizona.

Do you have a boss?  Do you insist on things that go against your boss’ wishes?  How does that go for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Are you suggesting the 2020 White Sox weren't that good? Exactly my point lol

Hopefully you realize that makes the case for Tony as an inferior manager even more clear, but probably not.  If Ricky could taken an inferior team to the playoffs with a winning percentage that Tony has never been able to approach with a deeper roster, that just means Tony is a bigger flop.  It means the talent has been there all along, and even a mediocre manager in RR could unlock it, yet Tony can't. 

But details.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

This is seriously one of the weirdest personnel situations we've seen in MLB.

• LaRussa is hired without support of FO
  • Team greatly underachieves
  • A "medical emergency" out of nowhere
  • Sox and Chicago have amazing medical options, Tony FLIES to AZ to see his doctors.
  • Rumor has it he had heart issues which makes flying questionable
  • Team is absolutely mum, not making any statements to the press
  • Team starts winning
  • Heyman and Nightengale say Tony is coming back/is coming back soon
  • Team says nothing has changed
  • Steve Stone says he talks to Tony but doesn't know what his illness is
  • Miguel Cairo says he talks to Tony but doesn't know what his illness is
  • Reports are Tony needs clearance from his doctor to FLY to OAK for Dave Stewart celebration

Tony is clearly feeding Heyman and Nightengale the "coming back" talk.  The org isn't talking to anyone.  Steve Stone and Miguel Cairo make it clear that, whatever the situation is, there's a gag order out from the org.  Players don't seem to know what's going on, either.

If the "medical emergency" was a cover story, seems this would require Tony's cooperation.  Did it start as a medical emergency and turn into a silent firing?  If he's fired, why is the team not saying anything?  If he's not fired and is coming back, why the silence from the org?  Why was he fine to fly to AZ but needs permission to fly to SanFran?

This is, by far, the most dysfunctional organization in baseball and they're clearly hiding something from us without any clear reason to be so secretive.

• Like 5
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hopefully you realize that makes the case for Tony as an inferior manager even more clear, but probably not.  If Ricky could taken an inferior team to the playoffs with an winning percentage that Tony has never been able to approach with a deeper roster, that just means Tony is a bigger flop.  It means the talent has been there all along, and even a mediocre manager in RR could unlock it, yet Tony can't. 

But details.

Clinging to that winning percentage in a 60 game season in which the team completely fell apart in the final 10, I see.

Just now, KrankinSox said:

Clinging to that winning percentage in a 60 game season in which the team completely fell apart in the final 10, I see.

I will cling to facts, you keep clinging to Tony.

If your argument is that the 2020 team wasn't very good with a mediocre manager, yet got to the playoffs, what does it say about Tony who is failing with a better team in 2022?

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I will cling to facts, you keep clinging to Tony.

If your argument is that the 2020 team wasn't very good with a mediocre manager, yet got to the playoffs, what does it say about Tony who is failing with a better team in 2022?

Remind me what seed they were in the playoffs that season?

3 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

• Sox and Chicago have amazing medical options, Tony FLIES to AZ to see his doctors.
  • Team starts winning
  • Reports are Tony needs clearance from his doctor to FLY to OAK for Dave Stewart celebration

Tony is clearly feeding Heyman and Nightengale the "coming back" talk.  The org isn't talking to anyone.  Steve Stone and Miguel Cairo make it clear that, whatever the situation is, there's a gag order out from the org.  Players don't seem to know what's going on, either.

If the "medical emergency" was a cover story, seems this would require Tony's cooperation.  Did it start as a medical emergency and turn into a silent firing?  If he's fired, why is the team not saying anything?  If he's not fired and is coming back, why the silence from the org?  Why was he fine to fly to AZ but needs permission to fly to SanFran?

This is, by far, the most dysfunctional organization in baseball and they're clearly hiding something from us without any clear reason to be so secretive.

To be fair, he's at Mayo Clinic, which is where I'd go to have my heart looked at, especially if it was my personal doctors.

That being said, if it was bad enough that I needed to see doctors at Mayo Clinic, I'd stop doing the fucking activity that made it a concern.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

• Team starts winning

You pretty much summed up the SoxMachine post today on this whole thing. It is indeed super bizzare, and is being handled in the most White Sox ass way possible.

Edited by DirtySox

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

• Team starts winning

If only we had some sort of a group of people who were professionally paid to follow this team, and maybe even had access to ask these types of questions of this organization.

A fantasy, I know.

• Fire 1

White Sox playoff seeds since 2009:

2009: No Playoffs

2010: No Playoffs

2011: No Playoffs

2012: No Playoffs

2013: No Playoffs

2014: No Playoffs

2015: No Playoffs

2016: No Playoffs

2017: No Playoffs

2018: No Playoffs

2019: No Playoffs

2020: 7th seed

TONY HIRED

2021: 3 seed!

2022: TBD

I CLING TO FACTS

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

This will be interesting to say the least. Obviously the corpse of Tony wants to come back. He's a super villain and it's nearing Halloween. It's the scariest thing for all Sox fans. His team for sure is leaking stuff to Heyman. On the other side I think it's clear the Sox are leaking their PR news too. A complete guess on my end, but I have a feeling "most" of the Sox office is trying to distance themselves from Tony and are in our camp. I think that JR and others in the Sox org. don't have the balls to fire him or tell him he's no longer welcome. I also think this retirement ceremony can kick rocks. Without it I'm not sure how Tony just shows up to the park one day. This is an invitation from an opposing team ... he gets his face out there showing "hey i'm good to go, healthy, can travel, etc." Puts the Sox in a tough position. 

What should happen is the Sox just man up and release him of his duties. 

What might happen is the Sox go deep in the Hahn bag of lawyer tricks and find a way to frame the health issues as a way to keep him away.

What likely happens is the old bag of bones is back with this team on Tuesday

This clip finishes with how most fans here will react if he does return

Edited by wegner

14 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Which team do you think has more talent? 2020 or 2022?

2022 but that has been marred by injuries. It's actually pretty close in terms of overall talent though. More money has been allocated to the 2022 roster but that doesn't really make it that much better than 2020. Certainly the SP is better now but that's because we are getting the most out of Johnny fucking Cueto (not exactly a premium talent that TLR was gifted). Without him, the rotation is pretty much Cease and a bunch of disappointments, although Lynn is looking like himself again but that's just very recently. Sox basically went 4.5 months without getting much of anything from Lynn.

2020 had the better offense with Grandal/McCann at C, Madrigal at 2B, and a more overall health. TA was at the top of his game in 2020 and this year has been disappointing and injured. Abreu peaked in 2020. We don't have the same Abreu anymore, although he is still solid.

2022 bullpen is better.

Call me crazy but I still believe in this team, regardless of who is managing it. I don't care if Tony or Cairo is the manager in the playoffs. If the Sox are healthy and the players are peaking, they can make a decent run.

Edited by KrankinSox

• Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year