TLR out for the year

chw42

5 hours ago, Lillian said:

If the Sox finished this regular season with a .547 winning percentage, as the Braves did last year, I wouldn't "complain" either. The Braves had 88 wins, in their 161 game season and won 8 of their last 10 games. That is not the hypothetical scenario, to which I was referring. I'm talking about a scenario, in which the Sox barely finish over .500, and still manage to win the worst division in baseball. If they played in the East, instead of the Red Sox, they would currently be in last place. It's not a matter of simply not having as good of a record as other post season contenders. My point is that this team has been mediocre, for the entire season. However, there is still time to change all of that. Hey, maybe they'll go on a real hot streak, and get to 88 wins themselves. Like most Sox fans, I'd take pride in that finish and season, but I'm not holding my breath. Moreover, if TLR returns, in that scenario, any hope of a new manager, for next year, would vanish. That is, of course, unless he chose to walk away.

The Braves had a .547 winning percentage in a s%*# division last season (it was just as bad as the ALC this season). They played .500 baseball until mid August. That regular season sounds awfully similar to the White Sox season “if” the Sox can reach 85 wins and a division crown in 3.5 weeks.

43 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

White Sox playoff seeds since 2009:

2009: No Playoffs

2010: No Playoffs

2011: No Playoffs

2012: No Playoffs

2013: No Playoffs

2014: No Playoffs

2015: No Playoffs

2016: No Playoffs

2017: No Playoffs

2018: No Playoffs

2019: No Playoffs

2020: 7th seed

TONY HIRED

2021: 3 seed!

2022: TBD

I CLING TO FACTS

How about those winning percentages?  I guess you are going to ignore that Ricky got it done against far superior competition in both Cleveland and Minny as compared to this year, and that Tony has seen his team perform less and less each season, with as you said, a not very good team?

I know you want to misdirect by including what the rest of baseball was doing two years ago, instead of what the Sox are doing now, but again that is kind of the point.

A better equipped team, is doing worse each season, with worse competition under this manager.

Then after he steps away, the team looks like it did before he got here.  Runs scored are up, homers are up, and the team is winning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

39 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

2022 but that has been marred by injuries. It's actually pretty close in terms of overall talent though. More money has been allocated to the 2022 roster but that doesn't really make it that much better than 2020. Certainly the SP is better now but that's because we are getting the most out of Johnny fucking Cueto (not exactly a premium talent that TLR was gifted). Without him, the rotation is pretty much Cease and a bunch of disappointments, although Lynn is looking like himself again but that's just very recently. Sox basically went 4.5 months without getting much of anything from Lynn.

2020 had the better offense with Grandal/McCann at C, Madrigal at 2B, and a more overall health. TA was at the top of his game in 2020 and this year has been disappointing and injured. Abreu peaked in 2020. We don't have the same Abreu anymore, although he is still solid.

2022 bullpen is better.

Call me crazy but I still believe in this team, regardless of who is managing it. I don't care if Tony or Cairo is the manager in the playoffs. If the Sox are healthy and the players are peaking, they can make a decent run.

Glad to know that 2020 didn't suffer from injuries at all.

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

How about those winning percentages?  I guess you are going to ignore that Ricky got it done against far superior competition in both Cleveland and Minny as compared to this year, and that Tony has seen his team perform less and less each season, with as you said, a not very good team?

I know you want to misdirect by including what the rest of baseball was doing two years ago, instead of what the Sox are doing now, but again that is kind of the point.

A better equipped team, is doing worse each season, with worse competition under this manager.

Then after he steps away, the team looks like it did before he got here.  Runs scored are up, homers are up, and the team is winning.

Imagine being so simple-minded that you literally think the Sox are hitting HR's now that Tony is in the hospital. 

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Saw Dave Stewart interview. Said he had dinner with Tony the day after his “procedure”.

I wonder if he had an ablation. 

Seems like Bologna has been put out to pasture and the stubborn old cow is now at the front door knocking…

But nobody’s home.

1 hour ago, KrankinSox said:

Imagine being so simple-minded that you literally think the Sox are hitting HR's now that Tony is in the hospital. 

Teams can look very different when a manager leaves. I have always thought its stupid to fire a manager in the offseason. There have been a lot of teams that all of a sudden play way better when a new manager comes in mid-season.

Nobody heard from Cairo prior to his taking over.  After taking over he really seems to be a breath of fresh air.  Not sure I ever saw him in the dugout or after a victory on the field when the camera was panning but i may have missed it.  

I wonder how his going after Rocco Baldelli impacted the team and if there would have been such an incident if TLR was sleeping over in the corner.

A coherent post game interview is pleasant as well. 

Chicks dig the long ball. Tony longs for small ball.

Home Runs hit while managing White Sox Baseball (2020-2022)

1. 3.00 Miguel Cairo 2021 (6 HRs / 2 Games August 12 & 31)
  2. 1.90 Miguel Cairo 2022 (19 HRs / 10 Games (August 30 - September 9)
  3. 1.60 Ricky Renteria 2020 (96 HRs / 60 Games)
  4. 1.15 Tony La Russa 2021 (184 HRs / 160 Games)
  5. 0.80 Tony La Russa 2022 (101 HRs / 127 Games)

On 8/30/2022 at 4:48 PM, Quin said:

Split this off from the Fire Tony thread.

As infuriating as he is as a manager, I hope he's doing OK. Listening to Fegan talk about Tony after games on the FutureSox podcast really hammered home that these games are just taking a lot out of him.

Not saying that as a joke either. These games are stressful to watch. At his age, I can't imagine the strain of these games are taking on his body.

If he comes back, I guess I won’t have to feel sorry for him anymore. (While he collects millions ruining my team and his own health voluntarily)

• Like 1

Not saying, just saying ... if I'm the Sox and don't want tony back I think theres a path ... 

Task 1: find a few guys in the clubhouse to talk anonymously. Drop a few negative quotes. 

Task 2: rehash the old stories of DUI and the underlying racism undertones of the past

Task 3: push the health narrative more

You just need a good ol' Fox News/CNN spin on Tony and that should seal the deal.  

I'd feel bad about it, but i hate tony. feed him to the wolves. 

• Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year