TLR out for the year

chw42

2 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Listening to Whitesox Talk Podcast this morning and Garfein is saying his pacemaker was put in during spring training and something happened on August 30th that concerned doctors that required an adjustment to it. 

This in itself is a concern. The ownership allowed this guy to manage all season after an operation like that….wtf no wonder he is mr mumbles this season and seems so out of it. The dude should not be allowed back in the dugout simply whatsoever 

not correct: "The ownership allowed this guy to manage all season after an operation like that"

From someone who has one.  The "operation" is literally no big deal.  Some people even go home the same day; most stay one night and go home in the morning.  Hard to call it an operation; it's really more like a procedure.  400,000 pacemakers are implanted each year in US

You literally can play tennis with a pacemaker.   pacemakerclub.com

Of course that assumes that you were playing before.

The old joke:  after hand surgery, the  patient asks the doctor, will I be able to play the piano?.  The doctor replies, "of course".  The patient says to the doctor, "You're a miracle worker...I couldn't play before"

In 2015, about 3,000,000 had pacemakers and the number keeps climbing.;

On 9/11/2022 at 11:29 AM, ChiSox59 said:

If he's back Tuesday, there needs to significant booing for him, and loud fire Tony chants.  Fans cannot accept it.  

If the fans last time were able to chant "Fire Tony", then this time if he is back, they need to chant "We Don't Want You Back" besides "Fire Tony!"

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

If the fans last time were able to chant "Fire Tony", then this time if he is back, they need to chant "We Don't Want You Back" besides "Fire Tony!"

I think we are above this kind of stuff as fans. Not meaning you, but what kind of person yells "We dont want you back" to a Hall of Famer or any human being? I guess if you are basing it on the DUI, the chant is acceptable. DUIs are serious and many fans have lost loved ones to DUIs. But public displays of emotion seem 'mob' like to me. I don't want him back but this is just sports. Seems classless to chant mean stuff like that when a guy's had health woes especially.

I dont want him back but I'd never condone yelling stuff like that at a mere game. Who knows? We could all be wrong and mabe the guys would play ball for Tony.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

I think we are above this kind of stuff as fans. Not meaning you, but what kind of person yells "We dont want you back" to a Hall of Famer or any human being? I guess if you are basing it on the DUI, the chant is acceptable. DUIs are serious and many fans have lost loved ones to DUIs. But public displays of emotion seem 'mob' like to me. I don't want him back but this is just sports. Seems classless to chant mean stuff like that when a guy's had health woes especially.

I dont want him back but I'd never condone yelling stuff like that at a mere game. Who knows? We could all be wrong and mabe the guys would play ball for Tony.

In a couple of decades of ridiculous statements, this is one of the most absurd.  You ever cheer at a baseball game?  Yell at a basketball game?  Welcome to the mob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I will happily boo and chant for him to get fired if he returns. The man is making a mockery of the game with his asinine decision making, and he's an arrogant prick. Being a "Hall of Famer" doesn't exempt you for life from facing repercussions from fans reactions to bad play or decision making. Being sick doesn't exempt an asshole for being seen as an asshole. Just because someone gets sick or dies doesn't automatically make them a saint. You won't find me rooting for him to die - that is classless - but I am not going to suddenly change my feelings because he had to visit his doctor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2022 at 7:56 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

More than once, In 2014 right after Christmas I called him at his home in Oakland and we talked for 2 1/2 hours. Just a terrific interview on his days with the Sox. Did the interview for the Chicago Baseball Museum. Broke it up into two parts for their web site. Mark Gonzales read it and said it was one of the best interviews he's ever seen.

If you are interested here are the links to them:

https://chicagobaseballmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/CBM-Tony-LaRussa-20140217.pdf

https://chicagobaseballmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/CBM-Tony-La-Russa-Part-2-20140221.pdf

Great interview thanks Mark

• Hawk 1

26 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I will happily boo and chant for him to get fired if he returns. The man is making a mockery of the game with his asinine decision making, and he's an arrogant prick. Being a "Hall of Famer" doesn't exempt you for life from facing repercussions from fans reactions to bad play or decision making. Being sick doesn't exempt an asshole for being seen as an asshole. Just because someone gets sick or dies doesn't automatically make them a saint. You won't find me rooting for him to die - that is classless - but I am not going to suddenly change my feelings because he had to visit his doctor.

Yep, he’s a terrible human being. I will be happy to never hear from him again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

Have we gotten confirmation that LaRussa did in fact travel back to Chicago with the team? 

Yes, despite telling the team he wouldn't come back if they lost Sunday.

He should have promised the opposite, he wouldn't return until they lost a game. Might have closed out the season without a loss.

• Haha 1

Cairo may be only an interim manager, but it was his fiery speech on his first day of the job, the players will tell you, that woke them up, perhaps just in time to save their season. 

“He told us pretty much, 'If you don’t want to be here, then get the (expletive) out,'" All-Star closer Liam Hendriks told USA TODAY Sports. “It was eye-opening to some guys who really have never been told no. 

“There needs to be repercussions. There needs to be some kind of a risk and reward. That was one thing that reverberated with some guys. 

“The message really hasn’t changed at all for us this year, but it was a different viewpoint, a different verbiage, a different way of delivering.’’ 

Said second baseman Josh Harrison: “Let’s put it this way, you can tell your kids something, and they don’t listen. Someone else tells them the same thing, and they get the message. It’s put up or shut up time. 

“Miggy has done a great job bringing energy to the team.’’ 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/09/13/white-sox-winning-miguel-cairo-tony-la-russa-future/10364486002/

It sure as hell sounds like TLR lost the clubhouse. Guys just did what they want. 

• Fire 2

21 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

You literally can play tennis with a pacemaker.   pacemakerclub.com

Of course that assumes that you were playing before.

The old joke:  after hand surgery, the  patient asks the doctor, will I be able to play the piano?.  The doctor replies, "of course".  The patient says to the doctor, "You're a miracle worker...I couldn't play before"

In 2015, about 3,000,000 had pacemakers and the number keeps climbing.;

He is 78 years old with a pacemaker.  This is not a guy who was out playing tennis or running marathons.  He is 78.  He is too old to be a manager at the MLB level.  The grind and the requirements with travel and hours are beyond that of a person his age without a pacemaker more or less with one.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I like how people are genuinely mad that a guy who recently had pacemaker installed took a plane instead of driving a grueling 10+ hours across the country in summertime lmao.  “But he promised” 😂

To me it's not the "instead of driving a grueling [24] hours across the country."

It's the "he's with the team" part. It's the "he's not staying in Arizona" part.

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To me it's not the "instead of driving a grueling [24] hours across the country."

It's the "he's with the team" part. It's the "he's not staying in Arizona" part.

Oh I’m with you.  Just reading people on various platforms going nuclear because he promised to drive home, lmao.

my dad passed away a week after he had his pacemaker put in, his heart just stopped.  Pacemakers aren’t something anyone should take lightly and I’m astonished that he had one put in before the season and they are considering letting him come back after they had to fix it.  This job is high stress, full stop.  My opinion of his managing does not matter in this scenario

• Like 1

17 hours ago, greg775 said:

Wow, you must be the world's most internal optimist. If you are assuming this team will play better under TLR, then I guess you haven't been watching the games recently, or all this year and noticed the change in offensive production, player's excitement in the dugout and the constant positive comments several of the players are saying since TLR has been gone.

As far as negative chants, I think you are being naïve if you don't think they will be louder than ever when he comes back, especially if the team starts losing badly due to Tony 's presence and poor managerial decisions. Tony is putting himself in a tough situation coming back. If he comes back the team needs to win the division. Anything less and the fans and media will blame Tony mostly for the demise and rightfully so! 

As far as fandom goes, when you pay money you to go to a game you have every right to voice your loud chants or opinions as long as its not vulgar and obscene. I was half kidding with the comment, "We don't want you back". Paying fans have a right to voice their negative decisions. That does not make them second class citizens or losers.

Also, quit this having us feel sorry for Tony! I'm sorry but Tony signed up for this stress when he took the job two years ago. He was too old then and in bad health to even take the job. Now as he has gotten worse, for him not to retire and to continue to manage this team knowing the fans disrespect him, is his own arrogant and masochistic decision. However trust me on this, no fan is going to feel guilty yelling negative comments to him just because he is not in good health. If he isn't in great health, then he should retire and take better care of himself. 

Finally don't give us that crap because he is a Hall of Famer that he doesn't deserve or cannot receive criticism. That line of thinking is just ridiculous! He was a HOF'er a long time ago. This is 2022 and he is 3 weeks short of turning 78 yrs old with obvious health issues and not just physical, but probably cognitive from excessive drinking. He is not entitled to this HOF "holier than god" respect if he sucks as a manager. This is the rule any any sport for any head coach or manager that comes back when they shouldn't or stays too long. 

• Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

41 minutes ago, chw42 said:

This can't be true.  I was told this was all because of Tony.

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year