TLR out for the year

chw42

21 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

You literally can play tennis with a pacemaker.   pacemakerclub.com

Of course that assumes that you were playing before.

The old joke:  after hand surgery, the  patient asks the doctor, will I be able to play the piano?.  The doctor replies, "of course".  The patient says to the doctor, "You're a miracle worker...I couldn't play before"

In 2015, about 3,000,000 had pacemakers and the number keeps climbing.;

The point of everyone not wanting him back is not about Tony wearing a pacemaker. This is about whether he is physically and mentally capable of managing the White Sox in this heated and stressful pennant race. He 78 years old and in bad shape physically and mentally. My neighbor has a pacemaker and is 79 years old. However he is articulate and sharp. He doesn't mumble his words like Tony does, nor does he have a hard time making complete sentences like Tony does at the post game press conference. My neighbor is also is an upbeat guy with a lot of energy, which is just the complete opposite of Tony, who is always looking bitter, upset and confused. Why do you think that toxic clubhouse culture started and existed in the first place? 

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

And holy crap that article is chilling. 

Screenshot_20220913_110924.jpg

Screenshot_20220913_104519.jpg

• Love 1
  • Fire 5

I was shocked when I heard the LaRussa was going to manage again . he retired right after one of the greatest comebacks in history, to win the World Series . a perfect ending, why come back all these years later . Reinsdorf must have told him, that he built a great team that cruised to the post season last year, and this year will triumph, because you, Tony, will be leading them . his ego stroked like that, with his mind full of glory, how could he refuse . who could have known it would be a disaster . well, almost everyone, except J.R. & Tony . Tony LaRussa, just go home.

• Fire 1

From the article above (it's already been quoted)... emphasis = mine:

If the White Sox wind up reaching the postseason, there will be plenty of speculation and theories, but the players will tell you that nothing was more powerful than Cairo’s speech. He firmly reminded them that mediocrity and complacency no longer would be tolerated. 

Yeah - if that's not an indictment on TLR, I'm not sure what is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Ladies and gentlemen, this is all about ego. Larussa's ego is as big as Montana. He is a narcissist who believes only he can turn this  team into a winner He says he doesn't want to be a distraction, which is utter BS. It has always been all about Tony, 1st and always. It's also ego on the part of Jerry. Nobody tells a billionaire how to run his business. He basically would rather lose his way than win listening to others. Remember he broke up the Bulls because "players don't win championships management does".  We'll get nothing nice until both these guys are long gone.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, White Sox Park said:

I was shocked when I heard the LaRussa was going to manage again . he retired right after one of the greatest comebacks in history, to win the World Series . a perfect ending, why come back all these years later . Reinsdorf must have told him, that he built a great team that cruised to the post season last year, and this year will triumph, because you, Tony, will be leading them . his ego stroked like that, with his mind full of glory, how could he refuse . who could have known it would be a disaster . well, almost everyone, except J.R. & Tony . Tony LaRussa, just go home.

I think Reinsdorf believes managers don't make much difference, and he just wanted to let Tony manage the "multiple championship" roster he thought Hahn had built.  Shows how stupid JR and the rest of this organization is.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Wow, you must be the world's most internal optimist. If you are assuming this team will play better under TLR, then I guess you haven't been watching the games recently, or all this year and noticed the change in offensive production, player's excitement in the dugout and the constant positive comments several of the players are saying since TLR has been gone.

As far as negative chants, I think you are being naïve if you don't think they will be louder than ever when he comes back, especially if the team starts losing badly due to Tony 's presence and poor managerial decisions. Tony is putting himself in a tough situation coming back. If he comes back the team needs to win the division. Anything less and the fans and media will blame Tony mostly for the demise and rightfully so! 

As far as fandom goes, when you pay money you to go to a game you have every right to voice your loud chants or opinions as long as its not vulgar and obscene. I was half kidding with the comment, "We don't want you back". Paying fans have a right to voice their negative decisions. That does not make them second class citizens or losers.

Also, quit this having us feel sorry for Tony! I'm sorry but Tony signed up for this stress when he took the job two years ago. He was too old then and in bad health to even take the job. Now as he has gotten worse, for him not to retire and to continue to manage this team knowing the fans disrespect him, is his own arrogant and masochistic decision. However trust me on this, no fan is going to feel guilty yelling negative comments to him just because he is not in good health. If he isn't in great health, then he should retire and take better care of himself. 

Finally don't give us that crap because he is a Hall of Famer that he doesn't deserve or cannot receive criticism. That line of thinking is just ridiculous! He was a HOF'er a long time ago. This is 2022 and he is 3 weeks short of turning 78 yrs old with obvious health issues and not just physical, but probably cognitive from excessive drinking. He is not entitled to this HOF "holier than god" respect if he sucks as a manager. This is the rule any any sport for any head coach or manager that comes back when they shouldn't or stays too long. 

I think we totally disagree on this issue and guess what, America, life goes on for both of us. I learned something reading his post and hopefully he gained something from mine. Disagreeing is OK. I can respond more to your post if you want but I think it's best to just say we agree to disagree yet had a nice discussion bout it. I do want to say I'm not in favor of TLR coming back to the team. And I love the recent hot streak with Miguel.

4 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

And holy crap that article is chilling. 

Screenshot_20220913_110924.jpg

Screenshot_20220913_104519.jpg

"We didn't have that fight earlier. We didn't have that drive. We didn't have that hunger.  Now, that has all changed. Destiny is in our hands."

If that’s not an indictment of TLR and or his presence, I don’t know what is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

"We didn't have that fight earlier. We didn't have that drive. We didn't have that hunger.  Now, that has all changed. Destiny is in our hands."

Liam is only here because of Tony, works with him with TLR's Animal Shelter work. It is more indicting coming from Liam than anyone else in that locker room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I think Reinsdorf believes managers don't make much difference, and he just wanted to let Tony manage the "multiple championship" roster he thought Hahn had built.  Shows how stupid JR and the rest of this organization is.

The first part is exactly correct, JR simply doesn't feel managers or head coaches make that much difference and that shows in the selections over the years for the Sox and Bulls. It's also why he's never actively gone out and tried to get someone who is considered at the top or near top of their profession because of the salary demand and the unwillingness to "compensate" another team if they are still under contract. (As lawyers will tell you, today contracts don't really mean much, there's always an out if you are willing to pay the price.

For the Sox specifically, think about it, going back to the Jeff Torborg hiring the only folks who had previous MLB managing experience were Jeff and Renteria.

Lamont, Bevington, Manuel, Ozzie, Ventura were all newcomers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Liam is only here because of Tony, works with him with TLR's Animal Shelter work. It is more indicting coming from Liam than anyone else in that locker room.

It's also a bit of a crock of crap....their destiny has been in their hands for months.  Easy part of the schedule...they play .500 just like the rest of the season.  I'm not excusing LaRussa but for crying out loud there are enough veterans on this team that they should have realized long ago that this team had no fight.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

That whole article is an indictment of the last two seasons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chw42 said:

That is some powerful speech and that Cairo told the team that 1. "If you don’t want to be here, then get the (expletive) out" and the statement he told the team, that mediocrity and complacency no longer would be tolerated. This is such an indictment on Tony and his lack of leadership, motivation and accountability in documenting why Tony lost the clubhouse. 

• Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That is some powerful speech and that Cairo told the team that 1. "If you don’t want to be here, then get the (expletive) out" and the statement he told the team, that mediocrity and complacency no longer would be tolerated. This is such an indictment on Tony and his lack of leadership, motivation and accountability in documenting why Tony lost the clubhouse. 

Tony is a players' manager. I think that plus the fact that he's almost 80 means that he didn't have the energy to tell his players to wake the f*** up, cause he himself was having trouble staying awake. So the players policed themselves and even though they respect Tony, they didn't respect him enough to fear him. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm glad Liam said it and you're right that totally gives this story more creditability coming from Liam. He is probably one of the few players on this team to have the balls to say it and have no fear he said he said it. I love that that about Liam and probably why he is such a perfect person to be our closer with that type of toughness and grit.

• Hawk 1

• Quin changed the title to TLR out for the year