TLR out for the year

chw42

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

While I don't blame the Clevelanders one bit for this, or the "f*** the white sox" chant they also did during the celebration, I just wanted to stop in and say "fu*k you!" to Josh Naylor.  I really dislike that dude.  Sox should have hit him in the upper regions after that douchey mocking hand gesture BS he did the other day.  Yeah, Tribe came in and embarrassed the Sox.  Naylor owned us this year.  But don't let that hothead walk all over you.  

I dislike him too.

You know the best revenge? Win. Drilling him in the back just distracts you from the actual goal of the game. Plus, with a guy like him, if you drill him, he’ll just get more fired up and own you even worse.

Just win. Make better pitches. Hit better. Field better.

Then listen to the sound of him shutting the f*** up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

Not that anyone believe anything in this tweet, but why would AJ Hinch even be a consideration?  Is there belief he's on the outs in Detroit?  He is signed through 2025, correct?

Rosenthal has reported in the past it is rumored that Hinch's contract has an opt out clause if the team doesn't live up to its promises/expectations.  Not sure what the definition of this is, but I assume the Tigers have more than justified it. 

9 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

That's even better news. Keep him as far away from roster decisions as possible. Arizona was a disaster.

Heart conditions don't tend to magically get better at his age. At best they can be managed. This season proved he can't make it through the grind of 162. I don't think he really has an option other than retirement. He will probably just hang in AZ for the rest of his years.

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Bochy is just more of the same.  Let's get a guy who isn't retirement age, has some fire and an understanding of today's game.  It just really shouldn't be that hard.  

67/68 is hardly unusual in this game, and he hasn't been that removed. Bochy with Jirschele as bench coach, with the goal of Jirschele moving up to manager in two years or so if Bochy so recommends. The duties can be split with a slow transition over the two years if they desire.

I think I've said this before, but I find it kinda funny that one of our big worry with TLR was his hard ass managing wouldn't vibe with the team. 

We thought we were getting Tony the hard on discipline dad for a young, lively team. 

Instead we got Tony the Grandpa, who was there to tell em everythings all right and was there to push up all the kids, even Leury. 

(I realize not every hard-edged dad has a much softer relationship with grandkids but it is a common enough trope that it stuck out to me).

Now we kinda want a hardass again after seeing how if you give this group of guys an inch to relax they take a mile.

I do honestly feel bad for Renteria. He was not good, but that 2020 team was running on fumes from the bizarre year, and Hahn had already tapped out all its pitching at year 0 of the rebuild. 

Anyway, I find it hard to care about the managers. The best ones right now are those that are part of running their part of an organization-wide philosophy. We are going to try to go back to the all-star manager days. It will fail.

It's all or nothing to fix this. They all have to go. Otherwise we just have to hope to get lucky (and that is possible, the team is still relatively talented).

19 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

67/68 is hardly unusual in this game, and he hasn't been that removed. Bochy with Jirschele as bench coach, with the goal of Jirschele moving up to manager in two years or so if Bochy so recommends. The duties can be split with a slow transition over the two years if they desire.

I think its awful, but its better than TLR.  I'd rather just go with Jirschele and get a seasoned bench coach.  

Ultimately though, ABT. Anyone But Tony.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think I've said this before, but I find it kinda funny that one of our big worry with TLR was his hard ass managing wouldn't vibe with the team. 

We thought we were getting Tony the hard on discipline dad for a young, lively team. 

Instead we got Tony the Grandpa, who was there to tell em everythings all right and was there to push up all the kids, even Leury. 

(I realize not every hard-edged dad has a much softer relationship with grandkids but it is a common enough trope that it stuck out to me).

Now we kinda want a hardass again after seeing how if you give this group of guys an inch to relax they take a mile.

I do honestly feel bad for Renteria. He was not good, but that 2020 team was running on fumes from the bizarre year, and Hahn had already tapped out all its pitching at year 0 of the rebuild. 

Anyway, I find it hard to care about the managers. The best ones right now are those that are part of running their part of an organization-wide philosophy. We are going to try to go back to the all-star manager days. It will fail.

It's all or nothing to fix this. They all have to go. Otherwise we just have to hope to get lucky (and that is possible, the team is still relatively talented).

I don't understand why everyone thought he was a disciplinarian.   Always had the rep of letting clubhouses run themselves as much as possible.  Think it turned out this one can't.

15 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I know he's interviewed for jobs in the past, but I think Sandy Alomar Jr is due.   

Francona has kicked our ass since taking that job in Cleveland, I need someone from that culture injected into ours. 

Plus he meets the "he's been in the Sox org multiple times in the past" criterion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThirdGen said:

Sign me up for this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

I have no idea what the actual details here are, but I am morbidly glad that circumstances have allowed the Sox an easy way out on this topic.  Thank god for small miracles.

• Like 1

They should hire someone with big league experience, playoff experience, based on the position he played in the big leagues, how he can relate to the players, etc. I know most of this was the criteria when TLR was hired but the key is the position he played in the big leagues. Catchers can see the whole game and it transitions well to being a big league manager. Bochy fits all that. Either Hinch or Bochy should’ve been the hire back in 2021 instead of TLR. Hire Jirschele to be the bench coach to learn under Bochy to gain experience. If not Bochy than they should just go young and hire Granderson or try prying Quatraro away from TB. Either way hire someone that doesn’t have ties to the Sox. 

Edited by maloney.adam

I'm still a big believer in Hinch and, considering he was clearly RH's pick before last season, there's clearly interest there from the Sox.  

I don't think you can go with Bochy.  I know he's younger than TLR, been out of the league a shorter time than TLR, and definitely a more favorable personality in MLB than TLR, but he's just too damn old.  You can't face those players and tell them, "yes, we know he's another older manager but, TRUST US, it'll be better this time!".  Players will not buy in.

What we really need is 40-50yo experienced latino manager who is known for being a bit edgy.  Don't know who that is, but it's the absolute antithesis of TLR and that's the most likely to work.

28 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'm still a big believer in Hinch and, considering he was clearly RH's pick before last season, there's clearly interest there from the Sox.  

I don't think you can go with Bochy.  I know he's younger than TLR, been out of the league a shorter time than TLR, and definitely a more favorable personality in MLB than TLR, but he's just too damn old.  You can't face those players and tell them, "yes, we know he's another older manager but, TRUST US, it'll be better this time!".  Players will not buy in.

What we really need is 40-50yo experienced latino manager who is known for being a bit edgy.  Don't know who that is, but it's the absolute antithesis of TLR and that's the most likely to work.

Dave Martinez would fit that bill but he played for the Sox from 95-97. However, I don’t know if that would mean much because it’s been so long since he was part of the organization. He also has ties with the TB organization which is a big plus. I would still prefer someone with no ties to the organization .

Edited by maloney.adam

4 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Am I missing something here...?

Isn't Hinch currently employed?

Yes, yes he is.

I suppose you could note that he now has a different GM than the one who hired him and that's always a spot where something might change, but yeah, he's employed and the White Sox don't exactly have a reputation for paying big salaries to managers. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I want guys running laps and doing push-ups after every loss. Locker inspection at 5:00 pm sharp every day. Dunce cap to be worn by every guy that screws up a play.

• Haha 1