Will Giolito be non-tendered this offseason?

ron883

Will Giolito be non-tendered this offseason?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Will Giolito be non-tendered this offseason?

• Non-tendered - He Gawn
    • Sox will keep him

What are we thinking? Parkman floated the idea that he'll be non-tendered, and people grilled him for now. Now, it looks like a very possible scenario. I don't see why Jerry would want to keep paying this team salary for a losing team. 

Edited by ron883

32 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I said it was an option if they wanted to free money, not a likelihood or anything. Quit putting words in my mouth.  Musgrove was the only realistic upgrade and he's off the market. 

I said "floated the idea", did you not? I don't see how this is unreasonable given that he sucks, and the payroll is big-time for a losing team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I said "floated the idea", did you not? I don't see how this is unreasonable given that he sucks, and the payroll is big-time for a losing team. 

Yeah I guess. 

With Musgrove staying in SD, there aren't many options. I'd take my chances with Gio. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I said it was an option if they wanted to free money, not a likelihood or anything. Quit putting words in my mouth.  Musgrove was the only realistic upgrade and he's off the market. 

You have also said it multiple times over the last few weeks, so it isn't even out of line to mention it.

5 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The White Sox offered Giolito a long term contract a few years ago. He declined the offer. Looks to me like he made a serious mistake. If he has another bad year in 2023 he might be out of baseball.

This isn't even remotely true.  With as little pitching as there is in baseball, there will be about 29 teams calling him if the Sox let him walk.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This isn't even remotely true.  With as little pitching as there is in baseball, there will be about 29 teams calling him if the Sox let him walk.

I don't think he's out of the league, but he's getting paid like a #5 starter/depth instead of a long term contract that pays 10MM+ per year.

Just now, DashFan said:

I don't think he's out of the league, but he's getting paid like a #5 starter/depth instead of a long term contract that pays 10MM+ per year.

If he pitches like Lucas Giolito he is in the $20 to $25 million range on a long term contract.  Vintage Lucas Giolito is a top of the rotation starter.  $10 million year in 2022 is a 4th or 5th starter who can pitch 200 innings a year, which is what Lucas's numbers look like after his defense adds on an extra run a game to his ERA.  If guys like Johnny Cueto, who hadn't had even a decent season since 2018 are still getting jobs, Lucas Giolito is having every single team in baseball call him if the Sox were stupid enough to non-tender.

• Fire 1

17 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This might be naive of me but what the hell happened to Katz being the Giolito whisperer? We hired the guy and now Gio sucks? What happened?

Giolito's FIP is 4.29, while that's not great, the demise of Lucas Giolito is greatly exaggerated.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

Zero chance!. However whether it's Katz or someone else, someone needs to work with Lucas in the off-season to develop one or two more pitches. His current 92-94 mph four-seamer with no movement is too hittable and he can't locate it very well anymore. His once dominant change-up is not effective anymore for obvious reasons. I think he needs to get a two seam FB and get more movement, along with maybe adding a cutter or some other movement pitch. There are pitchers out there having great results that don't throw super hard and Lucas needs to become a smarter pitcher with a better arsenal of pitches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

This might be naive of me but what the hell happened to Katz being the Giolito whisperer? We hired the guy and now Gio sucks? What happened?

His defense has been KILLING him.  he is giving up about an extra run per game which can be attributed to his defense.

• Thanks 2