So is Gavin Sheets for real?

Greg Hibbard

If the park is going to benefit lefties, they have to make room for Sheets, not as an outfielder.  It also bodes well for Colas and possibly Mieses.  They cannot go into next year with Abreu, Eloy, Vaughn, and Sheets on the team.  Eloy is the guy I would keep. Either let Abreu walk, trade Vaughn or both.

• Like 2

He'll probably be a solid major league hitter.  Of course if you read a lot of the bloggers, he should rarely play. 

As for the logjam, Vaughn is probably the only one whose real value can be ascertained, and, thus, could reliably be traded.  They need to let Abreu walk.

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, Leonard Zelig said:

I don’t know, but going forward, if you want Sheets, Eloy, and Vaughn in the lineup, one of them will have to be in the OF.  If Abreu returns, then two of them have to be out there and we’ve seen what that looks like.  

No more softball lineups.  Real corner outfielders, Eloy at DH and choose one of the others to be 1B.

• Like 1

Against RHP, absolutely. 

Sheets and Burger can be a great platoon at 1B. 

Trade Vaughn, let Abreu walk. Sheets and Burger platoon at 1B. 

Sign Brandon Nimmo, call up Colas. 

Hope for health and a rebound from Eloy/Yaz/Moncada. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

You can't responsibly carry a platoon DH who can't field a position in modern baseball with a four man bench.

If he is playing RF for the Sox in 2023, than this next offseason will also be a complete disaster. if they move Eloy for SP, and don't resign Abreu, and get two actual corner outfielders who can field and hit, than it could possibly work. That is a lot of moving pieces, and I don't trust the Sox FO to make all of that work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Against RHP, absolutely. 

Sheets and Burger can be a great platoon at 1B. 

Trade Vaughn, let Abreu walk. Sheets and Burger platoon at 1B. 

Sign Brandon Nimmo, call up Colas. 

Hope for health and a rebound from Eloy/Yaz/Moncada. 

I don’t want to live in a world with a 1B platoon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

You can't responsibly carry a platoon DH who can't field a position in modern baseball with a four man bench.

If he is playing RF for the Sox in 2023, than this next offseason will also be a complete disaster. if they move Eloy for SP, and don't resign Abreu, and get two actual corner outfielders who can field and hit, than it could possibly work. That is a lot of moving pieces, and I don't trust the Sox FO to make all of that work.

I'd give Eloy one more year to see if he can stay healthy. And at DH for pete's sake. 

I'm a believer in the idea of Sheets/Burger as a 1B platoon. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Here we are. 

I don't see it that way. If the platoon is more efficient, then why not? 

You can sell me on a corner outfield platoon or a second base platoon. First base? I want a guy that posts up 150 games. I know…dare to dream.

I don’t see the point of letting Jose go when he’s our best player and will likely take a hometown discount.  I also think it’s very clear that Eloy needs to be kept and used as DH primarily.  If Sheets can’t return something via trade, then he can be a depth / insurance option, which is nice to have given Eloy’s health record.

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd give Eloy one more year to see if he can stay healthy. And at DH for pete's sake. 

I'm a believer in the idea of Sheets/Burger as a 1B platoon. 

Eloy claims he is a LF, and he demands playing LF when the planets are aligned and he is healthy enough to play in LF. Not tonight. of course, but perhaps later this week or month.

54, 37, 30 - Games Eloy has played in LF the past three seasons.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t think they can handle that many moving pieces and sign and trade for all of the missing pieces. They should bring Abreu back and move one of Vaughn, Jimenez or Sheets to bring back some starting pitching.

10 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This. 

We didn't go through 5 years of tanking to end up with platoon scenarios.  

We need to stop discussing platoon scenarios because that is what we are seeing with the current roster. There need to be starting position players like any winning and functioning team would do. And they need to play at their actual positions too.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see the point of letting Jose go when he’s our best player and will likely take a hometown discount.  I also think it’s very clear that Eloy needs to be kept and used as DH primarily.  If Sheets can’t return something via trade, then he can be a depth / insurance option, which is nice to have given Eloy’s health record.

Then deal Vaughn like they should have last offseason for quality starting pitching. Break the glut of 1B types and replace the loss of Cueto that way.

Vaughn the full time 1B. Abreu gone. Sheets and Eloy switch off at DH/LF. Then find a real, legit fucking RF and 2B.

You know guys aren't staying healthy, so you can absolutely carry all three of those guys. It would be stupid to trade any of them, because they have more value to the Sox than they do in a trade. But you have to move on from Abreu. He's gonna fall off a cliff any day now. The Cardinals said goodbye to Pujols, the Sox can do it with Abreu. I mean, they let Frank Thomas go, FFS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Regressing. 36 next year. Bad team. It’s time to move on. 

Bad team this year and he’s not the problem. Keep him and deal one of the three hitters playing as position players. Fill the starting pitching void that existed at the start of the year with Rodon gone. Yes that fucking hole existed and Kopech wasn’t the solution or replacement.