9/2 GT: Sox v. Twinkies 710CT - A new leaf turned?

ChiSox59

12 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Eloy has to be done, right? How can they rely on him for next season?

Even if you wanted to be done with him, what are the other options?

Just go down the roster. 
RF - Colas (rookie, probably ok), Vaughn/Sheets (Should never play there again). Would be nice to have some depth in case the rookie struggles?
CF - Robert - Good when he's on the field, out 50% of the time. Need a starting quality CF to back him up at this rate.
LF - Eloy - Good with the bats in '22, hurt >50% of the time, Need a starting quality LF to back him up at this rate.
Pollock - too expensive to move, hurt lots throughout his career, hit a wall and was really bad in '22. Would prefer he retired.
Engel - arb eligible, could be non-tendered, but then you need to find another backup OF for about $4 million. 
3b - Moncada - completely fell apart in '22. Also repeated injuries. Burger is too weak defensively to play here more than sparingly.
SS - Anderson - pretty reliable but you need a backup plan as he does usually hit the IL for a week or two a year.
2b - current black hole. Leury and Romy are on the roster, Sosa could break in next year. Decent chance this position is a black hole.
1b - Abreu is a free agent. Sheets and Vaughn could fill this position.
C - Expensive Grandal fell apart in 22. Seby could be a tolerable option. Would be nice to have depth.
SP - Lynn had injury issues in '22, wouldn't be surprised if he had more. Giolito was disappointing in '22. Cueto is a free agent. 
RP - Joe Kelly is a nightmare. Bummer isn't reliable.

I count what, 12+ different spots where you would say "How can you rely on this guy for next season"? Quibble with that a bit but I'm not far off. 

Now, assuming Abreu departs, the White Sox payroll is about $165+ million next year once you count arbitration guys and minimum salary guys. the payroll this year was $190 million. So you have just over $20 million to spend to fill 12 spots where you can't rely on the guy for next season. 

This is why next season is likely to be very close to a 'run it back and try again" season. There's so many different spots where things went wrong that it's impossible to fix more than 1 or 2 of them.

25 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Eloy has to be done, right? How can they rely on him for next season?

I hope it’s something else but struggle to think what the other roster move could be unless Luis didn’t tell them he was leaving for his kid until yesterday. But in that case sort of doubt Payton would have played yesterday. So it’s prob Eloy. 

• bmags unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just go down the roster. 
RF - Colas (rookie, probably ok), Vaughn/Sheets (Should never play there again). Would be nice to have some depth in case the rookie struggles?
CF - Robert - Good when he's on the field, out 50% of the time. Need a starting quality CF to back him up at this rate.
LF - Eloy - Good with the bats in '22, hurt >50% of the time, Need a starting quality LF to back him up at this rate.
Pollock - too expensive to move, hurt lots throughout his career, hit a wall and was really bad in '22. Would prefer he retired.
Engel - arb eligible, could be non-tendered, but then you need to find another backup OF for about $4 million. 
3b - Moncada - completely fell apart in '22. Also repeated injuries. Burger is too weak defensively to play here more than sparingly.
SS - Anderson - pretty reliable but you need a backup plan as he does usually hit the IL for a week or two a year.
2b - current black hole. Leury and Romy are on the roster, Sosa could break in next year. Decent chance this position is a black hole.
C - Expensive Grandal fell apart in 22. Seby could be a tolerable option. Would be nice to have depth.
SP - Lynn had injury issues in '22, wouldn't be surprised if he had more. Giolito was disappointing in '22. Cueto is a free agent. 

I count what, 12+ different spots where you would say "How can you rely on this guy for next season"? Quibble with that a bit but I'm not far off. 

Now, assuming Abreu departs, the White Sox payroll is about $165+ million next year once you count arbitration guys and minimum salary guys. the payroll this year was $190 million. So you have just over $20 million to spend to fill 12 spots where you can't rely on the guy for next season. 

This is why next season is likely to be very close to a 'run it back and try again" season. There's so many different spots where things went wrong that it's impossible to fix more than 1 or 2 of them.

Thank you for the powerhouse of a team, Rick Hahn! Looks like the window is closed!

• Like 1
  • TLR 1

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Just go down the roster. 

This is a good post and you know Abreu will be back.  

Do less injuries and a more motivated Giolito hopefully returning to form win a World Series?  Need Moncada back too.  

I honestly don’t know.  It just looks so good on paper potentially.  They’ve gone and fucked this thing up pretty good so far

Edited by Jerksticks

15 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

This is a good post and you know Abreu will be back.  

Do less injuries and a more motivated Giolito hopefully returning to form win a World Series?  Need Moncada back too.  

I honestly don’t know.  It just looks so good on paper potentially.  They’ve gone and fucked this thing up pretty good so far

I still think there's a ton of talent here and I don't see the downside to trying it with a better coaching staff. There's almost no way they're going to do long term damage if they play out another season with most of these guys since they wouldn't get much back if they tried to sell them after how they've disappointed this year. There's almost no one on this roster whose trade value goes down substantially if they play next year here. They've all been systematically so bad this year that its difficult to see things getting worse for nearly the whole roster. But does changing a coaching staff fix this mess? I'm skeptical as well. 

They do need to fix the DH logjam somehow. That simply just needs to happen, you can't run these corner OFs out there any more. 

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I still think there's a ton of talent here and I don't see the downside to trying it with a better coaching staff. There's almost no way they're going to do long term damage if they play out another season with most of these guys since they wouldn't get much back if they tried to sell them after how they've disappointed this year. There's almost no one on this roster whose trade value goes down substantially if they play next year here. They've all been systematically so bad this year that its difficult to see things getting worse for nearly the whole roster. But does changing a coaching staff fix this mess? I'm skeptical as well. 

Agreed.  If you get a guy who comes in and all of the moves make sense and you still are .500, then the rebuild was never gonna work.  But if you keep running a coaching staff out there that makes this many calculably bad moves, then it’s hard to expect anything better.

• Like 1

Let's keep this winning streak going, looks like there is some fire and determination beginning to show itself with this team. I sure hope so though we've been teased like this before with a couple of good games and then the White Sox shows us how they can quickly revert back to their losing ways. Still, there is some ground being made up on Cleveland so keep the hammer down and continue to win.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They do need to fix the DH logjam somehow. That simply just needs to happen, you can't run these corner OFs out there any more. 

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but can we please get an accomplished hitting coach. For one, Moncada batting .197 is just not acceptable. Although that hasn't seemed to affect his fielding. So much to do and so little time.

• Like 1

Twins name their 10 Piranhas for tonight, including White Sox killer Jake Cave (.811 OPS vs. the White Sox)

SP Sonny Gray

1. Luis Arraez (L) 1B
2. Carlos Correa (R) SS
3. Max Kepler (L) RF
4. Jose Miranda (R) DH
5. Nick Gordon (L) 2B
6. Gio Urshela (R) 3B
7. Jake Cave (L) LF
8. Gary Sanchez (R) C
9. Gilberto Celestino (R) CF