So I assume Cairo blasted Elvus in the postgame, right?

mmmmmbeeer

I couldn't imagine a more fitting signal to the FO, fans, TLR, and Jerry than what Elvis did cranking that grand slam last night against a position player in a 9-0 game.  Same Minnesota team, last season, who put a position player in to pitch, when Yermin went yard and was quickly and unceremoniously thrown under the bus by Tony LaRussa to the press.  Since that moment, the Sox have hovered around .500 and looked unmotivated, bereft of 'fun', and lacking any sort of killer instinct.  

So, considering Tony is a Hall of Fame Person, Cairo surely threw Andrus under the bus last night, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I couldn't imagine a more fitting signal to the FO, fans, TLR, and Jerry than what Elvis did cranking that grand slam last night against a position player in a 9-0 game.  Same Minnesota team, last season, who put a position player in to pitch, when Yermin went yard and was quickly and unceremoniously thrown under the bus by Tony LaRussa to the press.  Since that moment, the Sox have hovered around .500 and looked unmotivated, bereft of 'fun', and lacking any sort of killer instinct.  

So, considering Tony is a Hall of Fame Person, Cairo surely threw Andrus under the bus last night, right?

Too funny.

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Twins were bush league putting in a position player in a 7 run game and icing Cease.  If they got mad that the Sox hung 7 on Gordon then maybe they should have put a real pitcher in to finish the game 

It was an obvious loss and they went deep in their bullpen both games. They needed to win game three. If Tony ever said he burned a bullpen arm because the opposing pitcher had a no hitter going I would have screamed. I can't fault Minny for doing exactly what I'd want us to do. 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It was an obvious loss and they went deep in their bullpen both games. They needed to win game three. If Tony ever said he burned a bullpen arm because the opposing pitcher had a no hitter going I would have screamed. I can't fault Minny for doing exactly what I'd want us to do. 

They used one reliever before they put in Gordon, and Sanchez covered five innings.  They didn’t go deep in their bullpen at all. 

27 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

They used one reliever before they put in Gordon, and Sanchez covered five innings.  They didn’t go deep in their bullpen at all. 

They used five relievers the day before.  He tossed in the towel early when he pulled a couple starters. With a day game today he waved the white flag and played for today. 

I believe he would have used a position player ever if Cease wasn't going for a no hitter. 

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

They used five relievers the day before.  He tossed in the towel early when he pulled a couple starters. With a day game today he waved the white flag and played for today. 

I believe he would have used a position player ever if Cease wasn't going for a no hitter. 

A position player in a 7 run game in the 9th when you have used one reliever is bush league and I would say the same if the Sox did it, sorry.  There have been plenty of games when the Sox burned their bullpen day after day and didn’t throw out a position player when they were losing.  This move was bush league as hell from Baldelli and me and you will not agree on that

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

A position player in a 7 run game in the 9th when you have used one reliever is bush league and I would say the same if the Sox did it, sorry.  There have been plenty of games when the Sox burned their bullpen day after day and didn’t throw out a position player when they were losing.  This move was bush league as hell from Baldelli and me and you will not agree on that

I'm willing to see your point. I'm looking at the other five games he pitched this season. It seems like the Twins use positional players a lot. But if they were even bigger blowouts it's possible he was not interested in winning but was interested in stopping the no hitter. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I'm willing to see your point. I'm looking at the other five games he pitched this season. It seems like the Twins use positional players a lot. But if they were even bigger blowouts it's possible he was not interested in winning but was interested in stopping the no hitter. 

Do you think a regular relief pitcher or Gordon has a better chance of getting out of that inning faster and unscored upon?  This isn’t hard.  They were losing 7-0, the Sox actually have blown leads like that to division competitors this season so you can’t even say “well there was no chance”.

He iced cease 

8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Do you think a regular relief pitcher or Gordon has a better chance of getting out of that inning faster and unscored upon?  This isn’t hard.  They were losing 7-0, the Sox actually have blown leads like that to division competitors this season so you can’t even say “well there was no chance”.

He iced cease 

Gordon has pitched twice against the Sox this season, both with seven run deficits. Gordon has also pitched this season with eight and nine run deficits. (July 14th was the other game against the Sox). Of course we didn't call it bush league then but of course this situation is different. 

The question becomes should the Twins follow what he's done before or make a special effort to help the opposing pitcher no hit them? 

He's in a pennant race playing against the team he has to beat with a day game coming up. 

Your earlier quote by a Twins fan makes me lean towards he could have been excused for tossing another bullpen. 

I easily would agree if it wasn't September and both sides are battling for a playoff spot. If there wasn't a day game coming up, and he had never used a positional player like that before. 

On 9/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, mmmmmbeeer said:

Good memory. When Elvis hit that granny, I had completely forgotten about what u mention here. My reax was laughter and I thought 'Minnesota gets whatever the Sox can give them here. You put in a position player, too bad, lift and pull time.' What Tony did to Yermin really is indefensible. Why is baseball's unwritten rulebook so stupid in some instances? Is it really an unwritten rule you have to make an out when the other team puts in a position player? Makes me sick if Elvis did something 'wrong' there by homering off some guy lobbing the ball into his wheelhouse. Tony should be ashamed of himself.

• TLR 1

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

Gordon has pitched twice against the Sox this season, both with seven run deficits. Gordon has also pitched this season with eight and nine run deficits. (July 14th was the other game against the Sox). Of course we didn't call it bush league then but of course this situation is different. 

The question becomes should the Twins follow what he's done before or make a special effort to help the opposing pitcher no hit them? 

He's in a pennant race playing against the team he has to beat with a day game coming up. 

Your earlier quote by a Twins fan makes me lean towards he could have been excused for tossing another bullpen. 

I easily would agree if it wasn't September and both sides are battling for a playoff spot. If there wasn't a day game coming up, and he had never used a positional player like that before. 

While at the moment it happened I thought he could be icing Cease but a few minutes later I thought ,well he took out some of his regulars against Cease thereby seemingly making it easier to pitch a no hitter so why can't he save some arms for upcoming games and put in a position player ?

At that point it's all about winning future games which is his job as manager instead of chasing the unlikely outcome of winning the current game. He also won the next game using 4 relievers who only gave up 1 run in 4 innings so I think he was successful.

He also had the upcoming games with the Yankees to think about. So I'm siding with you on this one. From a purely baseball and winning games perspective Baldelli did nothing wrong.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2022 at 10:05 AM, mmmmmbeeer said:

So you are still complaining about something that happened like 1& months ago? 

25 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

So you are still complaining about something that happened like 1& months ago? 

The team has been dead from the time of the Mercedes incident until Tony was exhumed from the dugout last week.

• 25-15 .625 through the Mercedes HR Game
  • 132-122 .520 Post Mercedes until Tony's Last Game
  • 4-2 .667 Miguel Cairo replaces Tony La Russa on an interim basis

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

He iced cease 

There was no chance. At 7-0 with Cease throwing the way he was, there was literally no chance the Twins were winning that game. I have no problem with them throwing a position player there and playing for Sunday’s game. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I have no problem with them throwing a position player there and playing for Sunday’s game. 

But are u and is everyone ok with elvis smashing a grand slam off a position player. Apparently it's against the unwritten rules. If the unwritten rules protect position players on the mound why don't teams start position players all the time? They'll throw no hitters.

33 minutes ago, greg775 said:

But are u and is everyone ok with elvis smashing a grand slam off a position player. Apparently it's against the unwritten rules. If the unwritten rules protect position players on the mound why don't teams start position players all the time? They'll throw no hitters.

I’m 100% ok with smashing a grand slam there. It’s laughable that that even needs to be asked (not directing that at you, greg). If a team wants to throw a position player, they need to be ok with the other team scoring 20 runs and swinging 3-0. Anything goes. 

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, the unwritten rule was swinging 3-0 up all those runs, not hitting the grand slam.  After all that is disrespectful,  unlike inviting someone to throw a dangerous projectile at the offending player on your own team.

Many disagree, but I still think taking a walk is worse than swinging 3-0 in that situation. Taking a walk is like kicking a field goal when you’re up 55-0.

But to be clear, I’m ok with both (walking and swinging). As I mentioned above, anything should be acceptable when one team chooses to pitch a position player. 

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

To be fair, the unwritten rule was swinging 3-0 up all those runs, not hitting the grand slam.  After all that is disrespectful,  unlike inviting someone to throw a dangerous projectile at the offending player on your own team.

A bigger issue was a player with a checkered history of being undisciplined and uncoachable ignoring a take sign at worst or missed it at best.