17-10

JUSTgottaBELIEVE

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

If all finish tied at the top, then the team with the best combined winning percentage against the two other clubs would be the division champ. Sox are 12-16, Twins are 12-12, Guardians are 15-11. Sox have some ground to make up over their last 12 games against Cleveland and Minnesota if they have any hopes of winning a tiebreaker situation.

They have to win the division outright. They won't be winning any tiebreakers.

2 hours ago, White Sox Park said:
No matter how much we all b**** about how bad the Sox have been (i've given up more than once) they are still the class of the division, and perhaps more . now that LaRussa is gone, I have high hopes that, at the very least, we will make the post-season, and then, who knows . i'll take our staff of Dylan Cease, Michael Kopech, Johnny Cueto, and Lucas Giolito over anyone's.

Where's Lance Lynn?  No way in hell he's behind Giolito at this point...arguably I would take him 3rd over Kopech unless he can prove down the stretch drive he's 100%.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

As someone who has probably watched 125 of the 135 games in full, and at least portions of the other 10....there is 100% something difference about this team since Tony left.  They have an energy and a spunk that they haven't shown since early 2021.  Sure there has been 1 or 2 duds since Tony left that reminded me of the majority of the games played under Tony (corpseball, as I call it)...but Tony leaving was a giant breath of fresh air, and likely a relief to the guys, even though they'll never publicly admit that. 

masochist

• Haha 1

I'd love to see them go 17-10 but since the 2021 all star game they are 108-104 which includes the playoff games with the Astros. There is nothing since that time that makes me believe they can go 17-10 except I'm hoping that Cairo is making the difference. It's been a real roller coaster ride and they need a lot more ups than downs the rest of the way.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Where's Lance Lynn?  No way in hell he's behind Giolito at this point...arguably I would take him 3rd over Kopech unless he can prove down the stretch drive he's 100%.

Yep, at this point, Lynn is #3 in the rotation, he's hitting his stride at the right time and it's possible if the Sox make the playoffs he might be in the #2 slot.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

3 hours ago, flavum said:

Maybe they should push Cease’s next start to Saturday, and then run him out there every 5th day until the end. That would get him two starts vs Cleveland and the final game of the season. As it stands, Giolito gets the day game in Cleveland on the 15th. 

The head to head games against Cleveland are way too important to have Giolito anywhere near them.  Need to do whatever is necessary to make sure Cease pitches in 2 of those games.  If they are going to win the division I think they need to win at least 3 of the remaining 4 vs. Cleveland.

• Like 1

Guys it's over, they don't have the offense to threaten anyone in the playoffs.  Their outfield is atrocious.  You can't win baseball games when you can't score or defend.  The pitching is great, but you can't depend on a pitcher keeping the ball out of play or praying for weak contact.

stop-it-get-some-help.gif

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

Guys it's over, they don't have the offense to threaten anyone in the playoffs.  Their outfield is atrocious.  You can't win baseball games when you can't score or defend.  The pitching is great, but you can't depend on a pitcher keeping the ball out of play or praying for weak contact.

stop-it-get-some-help.gif

If the Sox lose and the Guardians win tonight, that would shut down any more viewing of Sox games until they’re 2 back again. This season will be a slow death the next four weeks…but they will die- probably in San Diego, which is lovely. 

20 minutes ago, flavum said:

If the Sox lose and the Guardians win tonight, that would shut down any more viewing of Sox games until they’re 2 back again. This season will be a slow death the next four weeks…but they will die- probably in San Diego, which is lovely. 

I expect Sox to lose today, fall to 4 GB.  Then go 5-1 against the A's and Rox and climb back to 2 GB with 19 to play.  But they'll definitely control their own destiny at that point with 4 of 7 with Cleveland right after that.  Go 3-1 against Cleveland and its far from over.  An awful lot of ifs, though. 

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

I doubt 17-10 gets it done, and it certainly won't if it includes 2-2 against Cleveland.  
20-7 might do it.

Lol, if the Sox go 20-6 (there are 26 games left now; not 27), they'll win the division handily.  85 wins is probably what wins this division.  

The scary thing is, knowing this organization, if they only finish a few games out, they'll use injuries and a shortened spring training as a crutch to basically have the same unit try again next year, which would be year four of this contention window (and most folks feel the window is only going to be open for six years barring new ownership)

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, if the Sox go 20-6 (there are 26 games left now; not 27), they'll win the division handily.  85 wins is probably what wins this division.  

Speaking of LOL:
For the 17-10 proposition to work (there were 17 games left when the proposition was made), Cleveland would have to finish 15-14 or worse,  with 14 of those games against the Royals, Angels and Rangers.  Oh it could happen; but to suggest that that is likely is rabbit's-foot stuff.

For my 20-7 to win the division (not "handily", just win) Cleveland would have to go 18-11 or worse; they probably will go 18-11 or worse, but it's hardly inconceivable that they get hot and do better than that. And if they go a modest 16-13 (now 15-13), that shifts the Sox to 18-9 (now 18-8) to win this division.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The scary thing is, knowing this organization, if they only finish a few games out, they'll use injuries and a shortened spring training as a crutch to basically have the same unit try again next year, which would be year four of this contention window (and most folks feel the window is only going to be open for six years barring new ownership)

I mean I sort understand this take, but the Sox know they need to solve the AV/Abreu/Eloy issue, and get a real OF that bats LH.  I expect both of those issues to be resolved.  Otherwise, I do expect the roster to look very similar because there just isn't a whole lot you can do otherwise unless you're doing some drastic like trading TA.  The top 4 in the rotation is set.  The pen is set.  The lineup is set besides an OF and 2B, with 2B having a slew of internal options. 

The biggest shake up is (hopefully) going to be a whole new coaching staff.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Speaking of LOL:
For the 17-10 proposition to work (there were 17 games left when the proposition was made), Cleveland would have to finish 15-14 or worse,  with 13 of those games against the Royals, Angels and Rangers.  Oh it could happen; but to suggest that that is likely is rabbit's-foot stuff.

For my 20-7 to win the division (not "handily", just win) Cleveland would have to go 18-11 or worse; they probably will go 18-11 or worse, but it's hardly inconceivable that they get hot and do better than that. And if they go a modest 16-13 (now 15-13), that shifts the Sox to 18-9 (now 18-8) to win this division.

There were never 17 games left, but yeah.  Cleveland is much, much more likely to play around .500 ball than .650 ball.  Of course, so are the Sox. It's Cleveland's division to win (or lose).  There is no doubt about that.  Thankfully for the Sox, they aren't any good either.  

If Cleveland plays .650 ball, the Sox have no chance.  

Edited by ChiSox59

56 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There were never 17 games left, but yeah.  Cleveland is much, much more likely to play around .500 ball than .650 ball.  Of course, so are the Sox. It's Cleveland's division to win (or lose).  There is no doubt about that.  Thankfully for the Sox, they aren't any good either.  

If Cleveland plays .650 ball, the Sox have no chance.  

Yea, I actually think Cleveland's pretty good. They're young and kind-of streaky, but they can pitch and are well-managed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean I sort understand this take, but the Sox know they need to solve the AV/Abreu/Eloy issue, and get a real OF that bats LH.  I expect both of those issues to be resolved.  Otherwise, I do expect the roster to look very similar because there just isn't a whole lot you can do otherwise unless you're doing some drastic like trading TA.  The top 4 in the rotation is set.  The pen is set.  The lineup is set besides an OF and 2B, with 2B having a slew of internal options. 

The biggest shake up is (hopefully) going to be a whole new coaching staff.   

Just playing Devil's Advocate, the Sox have had a hole in right field for the last several seasons. How did they try to fill it? Nomar Mazara and Adam Eaton.

No guarantees they'll do anything to try to correct the situation in 2022 off season. 

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate, the Sox have had a hole in right field for the last several seasons. How did they try to fill it? Nomar Mazara and Adam Eaton.

No guarantees they'll do anything to try to correct the situation in 2022 off season. 

With their financial situation, I'm pretty sure trying out Colas is the right move. I'm not sure what the backup or platoon plan should be with that, but given that they have likely very limited money to spend and a position where there's an actual prospect who could contribute next year I think they almost have to try that as plan A. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

With their financial situation, I'm pretty sure trying out Colas is the right move. I'm not sure what the backup or platoon plan should be with that, but given that they have likely very limited money to spend and a position where there's an actual prospect who could contribute next year I think they almost have to try that as plan A. 

Yeah, call him up after the what, 3 weeks he needs for the extra year?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Pollock is a natural platoon for Colas, and he’s almost certainly on the roster. Still think they should sign an actual OF tho; Colas - Robert - Nimmo is a good defensive OF. I let Jose walk and put AV at 1B in this scenario. Eloy DH. But you can trade AV for SP and keep Abreu too. Sheets is Eloy insurance and Pollock 4th OF that probably ends up with 400+ ABs. It’s a much much better roster. 

• Like 1