Is Elvis Andrus a possibility to play second for us in 2023?

sin city sox fan

This thread is reminding me of Jimmy Rollins, except we have Romy and Sosa knocking on the door, Mendick on the roster, Colson and Rodriguez right behind them, and Leury under contract.

I'm grateful for what Andrus has done so far with the team, but there are many better ways to spend this money.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This thread is LOL. This board talks about firing Hahn ... fire yourselves! 

Listen, I don't condone what Tim Anderson did in his personal life, but like, it's his personal life. I don't know about all of you throwing stones at glass houses, but home life effects work life. It just does. The first few months of this season Tim Anderson was looking like a MVP candidate. Stuff spilled out, his life went into a blender and his play suffered big time. There is zero question that Tim Anderson is this teams SS for the remainder of his contract. 

Everybody who want to retain Andrus please go pull his baseball savant page and spend time on there. It's not good. Elvis Andrus is in the Josh Harrison/Jonathan Villar/A. Simmons phase of his career. He is going to maybe have 1-2 years left. He is not an answer to a team trying to make a push. He just isn't. And we already have Leury. Also, he's basically Leury. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just cycle thru Romy, Mendick, Sosa and Yolbert until one sticks. No need to spend further $ on 2B. Leury will also still be on the roster, unfortunately. 

Other option is turning AV into a similarly controlled LH 2B that better fits the roster but I struggle to come up with that name. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just cycle thru Romy, Mendick, Sosa and Yolbert until one sticks. No need to spend further $ on 2B. Leury will also still be on the roster, unfortunately. 

Other option is turning AV into a similarly controlled LH 2B that better fits the roster but I struggle to come up with that name. 

I am in this camp.  We have a 2B in the bunch.  I am 100% on finding an ACTUAL OF this year.  You know one who can play actual league average, or god forbid, even + defense.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Am I the only one who, when you look at defense and other intangibles, thinks that Elvis should remain at short stop and sit Tim down?  

Beyond defense, what intangibles?  Well, for starters, he actually wants to win more that build his brand. Tim's # 1 priority, to me, is more about being noticed anymore than helping the Sox win. I've felt that every since he was suspended for the 2nd time this season, you know, before the 3rd time. 

Examples: Serving three suspensions this year, getting picked off 1st base consecutive nights, some real bone-headed plays on defense. To me that is a guy who is not mentally into the game and  helping his team win each night. 

Example: Elvis's bunt last night in the big inning. That was a huge play. Would Tim have done that, tried to do that. Stuff like that is about winning, not being noticed. 

Can Elvis keep playing and batting at his current level?  Sure. Being with a contender has him playing harder that what he was doing for the A's

Now, I know you can't really do this, and the clubhouse would go crazy if Tim sat, but I don't think you can look at what is happening and what has happened all season and not think that the Sox are better with Elvis at short for the rest of the month and into the playoffs, if they get there. 

DH Tim and start Andrus at SS or share time at SS between the two. Otherwise do what the people here say to do and put Andrus at 2b, a position he hasn’t played at. It’s okay, Moncada moved to third from second so we know the Sox could do that.

30 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Jazz

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, fathom said:

Jazz

Yeah, Jazz and Gimenez are really the only two that make sense from the Sox perspective.  Of course Sox would need to add to that deal as both are controlled the same as AV and MI >>>> 1B masquerading as an OF. But Gimenez is never getting moved inside the division. 

I do feel a bit like Jazz offensive profile isn't too dissimilar from what we have (high K rate, low BB rate), but he does bat LH at least and was really good in limited sample in 22.  He'd be a great guy to add to the mix and certainly fits our team better than AV.  Just not sure how much the Marlins would need added to that deal to make it work for them.   

Maybe something like AV + Ramos gets it done.  If Ramos can't stick in the IF and there are questions, they should move him this offseason while the stock is up.      

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah, Jazz and Gimenez are really the only two that make sense from the Sox perspective.  Of course Sox would need to add to that deal as both are controlled the same as AV and MI >>>> 1B masquerading as an OF. But Gimenez is never getting moved inside the division. 

I do feel a bit like Jazz offensive profile isn't too dissimilar from what we have (high K rate, low BB rate), but he does bat LH at least and was really good in limited sample in 22.  He'd be a great guy to add to the mix and certainly fits our team better than AV.  Just not sure how much the Marlins would need added to that deal to make it work for them.   

Maybe something like AV + Ramos gets it done.  If Ramos can't stick in the IF and there are questions, they should move him this offseason while the stock is up.      

Good stuff, but I have a feeling the Marlins are going to try and get way more athletic. They went the slug path this year and have had about the same power success offensively as the Sox.

2 hours ago, he gone. said:

This thread is LOL. This board talks about firing Hahn ... fire yourselves! 

Listen, I don't condone what Tim Anderson did in his personal life, but like, it's his personal life. I don't know about all of you throwing stones at glass houses, but home life effects work life. It just does. The first few months of this season Tim Anderson was looking like a MVP candidate. Stuff spilled out, his life went into a blender and his play suffered big time. There is zero question that Tim Anderson is this teams SS for the remainder of his contract. 

Everybody who want to retain Andrus please go pull his baseball savant page and spend time on there. It's not good. Elvis Andrus is in the Josh Harrison/Jonathan Villar/A. Simmons phase of his career. He is going to maybe have 1-2 years left. He is not an answer to a team trying to make a push. He just isn't. And we already have Leury. Also, he's basically Leury. 

You're all fired! Jerry will outlive all of you so there!

5 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is the truth really in between?  You honestly think a healthy TA wouldn’t make this team better? TA has been a top 10 hitter in the league for the last four years and an all star, the face of this team and even having a shitty year this year is one of the better hitters in this roster.  Elvis has been wonderful since he has showed up but the guy has been largely mediocre in the same four year timeframe as TA

I am talking about this year, this month and this next month, so no, honestly I don't think a player, regardless of his batting average in the past, who has been playing and acting like Tim has all year would make this team, right now and the rest of the year better. There is more to helping a baseball win than batting. For starters defense, especially at short stop. I know I saw it on here but someone posted a stat about how bad our corner outfielders were defensively, and stat pointed out that  the Sox were even worse at short stop (Please someone find that stat). 

Also, there are intangibles that Elvis adds to the team that Tim is sorely lacking. Work ethic, leadership, attention to detail, putting the team first. Guys who flip off fans and bump an ump again, are not putting the team first. 

A lot of 3rd basemen were better "hitters" than Joe Crede, but there were very few who helped their time wins games as much as Joe Crede did. 

10 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I am talking about this year, this month and this next month, so no, honestly I don't think a player, regardless of his batting average in the past, who has been playing and acting like Tim has all year would make this team, right now and the rest of the year better. There is more to helping a baseball win than batting. For starters defense, especially at short stop. I know I saw it on here but someone posted a stat about how bad our corner outfielders were defensively, and stat pointed out that  the Sox were even worse at short stop (Please someone find that stat). 

Also, there are intangibles that Elvis adds to the team that Tim is sorely lacking. Work ethic, leadership, attention to detail, putting the team first. Guys who flip off fans and bump an ump again, are not putting the team first. 

A lot of 3rd basemen were better "hitters" than Joe Crede, but there were very few who helped their time wins games as much as Joe Crede did. 

Tim's fWAR per game is 0.0253 this season.  Elvis's is 0.0193.  Andrus is putting up fWAR at 76% of the rate of Tim Anderson this season.

Look, I get some people are caught up in the show and their feelings about Tim Anderson.  But without getting into the sillier aspects of why some people do not like Tim Anderson, but the facts are incredibly clear.  Even through the injuries and the off season problems, Tim Anderson is better this season, he has been better for the last 5 seasons, and the odds are incredibly high that Tim will be better next year than Elvis Andrus. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Andrus has been wonderful, made extra delightful because of literally zero expectations.

He arrived as a castoff to a team that had hit (at least we hope) rock bottom, and he has done nothing but surpass those zero expectations.

Look at his body of work versus TA, and I still take TA. The difference in perception is that TA carries a higher expectation because of his ceiling and ability as a player.

I do wish TA showed more of what Elvis has shown on D (consistency and self-awareness), but TA on the aggregate is a better and more productive ballplayer at this point in their careers. Full stop.

7 hours ago, JoeC said:

...and hopefully Elvis is showing these guys what it means to play hard each and every day with focus. 

Tell you what give me nine Elvis guys on the field and I will take my chances. They would outplay our roster.