Jump to content

Is Elvis Andrus a possibility to play second for us in 2023?


Recommended Posts

I know this thread is for 2023 but is it possible to have him do it this year??

Tim Anderson will most likely be back in the final stretch and at that point it will be him and TA for SS with an extremely weak Harrison/Leury/Romy(?) at 2B. 

 

Looking at his defensive splits in the majors I don't think he's even played 1 game at 2B. How tough is the adjustment from SS to 2B? If he starts drilling immediately is that feasible for when TA gets back?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

Everyone seems to have forgotten about Mendick who certainly is part of the mix.

I would be stunned if a bench player coming off a blown out acl is in the mix for a starting job next season but I guess weirder things have happened 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I would be stunned if a bench player coming off a blown out acl is in the mix for a starting job next season but I guess weirder things have happened 

Fans of about half of the franchises would be stunned. But we're the Sox. I'll be stunned if he isn't Hahn and JR's first choice with a high mileage used second baseman as option two. It will be shock and awe if our opening day second baseman is under thirty with above league average stats over the past three seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's tough because we probably have 3 years left in out current roster window. I'm not sure I like the idea of not truly addressing 2B and RF. Hell, I'm willing to test Tim out at second if it meant we could get Correa. Tim wouldn't like it but if he has a problem he can play better D at SS, or hit 25 homers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2022 at 12:24 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd like for them to do it and DFA Garcia!

Just save this though, cause if it happens we'll be calling for a DFA of Andrus like we did for Harrison. 

Truth is with the crop of available second baseman you just pick one & stick with it. None are good. What you can't do is spend $5mm on Harrison, $5mm on Leury, $5mm on Andrus, etc. That's the biggest issue with Leury. Leury's are grown on trees. Guys who are good enough to be in the majors as UTIL for 4-5 years from like age 26-31 when they're in their athletic prime and then cut again for the next round of guy who can bounce around the infield and play decent 75 game ball. You can't spend payroll on a guy like that unless you're a top 5 payroll team. Romy and Sosa are your answers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

I know this thread is for 2023 but is it possible to have him do it this year??

Tim Anderson will most likely be back in the final stretch and at that point it will be him and TA for SS with an extremely weak Harrison/Leury/Romy(?) at 2B. 

 

Looking at his defensive splits in the majors I don't think he's even played 1 game at 2B. How tough is the adjustment from SS to 2B? If he starts drilling immediately is that feasible for when TA gets back?

Define extremely weak. Harrison has been more than adequate at 2B since June. He's batted around .280 with 6 dingers, playing strong D ...  Romy has been very good since being up ... 

I think we fall in love with the flavor of the day. Andrus is having a hot stretch and he's a new toy. You'll fall out of love with that toy soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It's tough because we probably have 3 years left in out current roster window. I'm not sure I like the idea of not truly addressing 2B and RF. Hell, I'm willing to test Tim out at second if it meant we could get Correa. Tim wouldn't like it but if he has a problem he can play better D at SS, or hit 25 homers. 

There are a few things they could do such as stretching it out over 12 years to lower the yearly impact, but just to use this year’s contract - Correa is currently paid $35 million. The White Sox have a 2022 payroll of $195 million and have about $165 or $170 million on the books for next year depending on whether they keep Engel. Any version of a Correa signing I can conceive pushes their 2023 payroll higher than their 2022 payroll and that’s with Davis Martin as their 5th starter. Adding a back of the rotation starter on top of that could push them to the luxury tax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Define extremely weak. Harrison has been more than adequate at 2B since June. He's batted around .280 with 6 dingers, playing strong D ...  Romy has been very good since being up ... 

I think we fall in love with the flavor of the day. Andrus is having a hot stretch and he's a new toy. You'll fall out of love with that toy soon. 

While he had a couple strong months, his offense has been weak for the last month and his defense lately hasn’t been up to snuff either. He tried very hard to lose yesterday’s game on both sides of the ball and only failed because the Mariners made more bad plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I the only one who, when you look at defense and other intangibles, thinks that Elvis should remain at short stop and sit Tim down?  

Beyond defense, what intangibles?  Well, for starters, he actually wants to win more that build his brand. Tim's # 1 priority, to me, is more about being noticed anymore than helping the Sox win. I've felt that every since he was suspended for the 2nd time this season, you know, before the 3rd time. 

Examples: Serving three suspensions this year, getting picked off 1st base consecutive nights, some real bone-headed plays on defense. To me that is a guy who is not mentally into the game and  helping his team win each night. 

Example: Elvis's bunt last night in the big inning. That was a huge play. Would Tim have done that, tried to do that. Stuff like that is about winning, not being noticed. 

Can Elvis keep playing and batting at his current level?  Sure. Being with a contender has him playing harder that what he was doing for the A's

 

Now, I know you can't really do this, and the clubhouse would go crazy if Tim sat, but I don't think you can look at what is happening and what has happened all season and not think that the Sox are better with Elvis at short for the rest of the month and into the playoffs, if they get there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Elvis has been a solid pickup and a needed boost, but I wouldn’t expect a 35 year old to repeat this next season.  I love me some Mendick but I’ll be surprised if he survives the winter on the 40 man.  Then there is Leury’s stupid contract.  I just hope they don’t think retaining Harrison is the answer.  Romy or one of the many kids in AA/AAA deserve a shot before another stupid year of “Big Energy”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Am I the only one who, when you look at defense and other intangibles, thinks that Elvis should remain at short stop and sit Tim down?  

Beyond defense, what intangibles?  Well, for starters, he actually wants to win more that build his brand. Tim's # 1 priority, to me, is more about being noticed anymore than helping the Sox win. I've felt that every since he was suspended for the 2nd time this season, you know, before the 3rd time. 

Examples: Serving three suspensions this year, getting picked off 1st base consecutive nights, some real bone-headed plays on defense. To me that is a guy who is not mentally into the game and  helping his team win each night. 

Example: Elvis's bunt last night in the big inning. That was a huge play. Would Tim have done that, tried to do that. Stuff like that is about winning, not being noticed. 

Can Elvis keep playing and batting at his current level?  Sure. Being with a contender has him playing harder that what he was doing for the A's

 

Now, I know you can't really do this, and the clubhouse would go crazy if Tim sat, but I don't think you can look at what is happening and what has happened all season and not think that the Sox are better with Elvis at short for the rest of the month and into the playoffs, if they get there. 

Lmao yea, Tim isn’t about building his brand and succeeding especially on the eve of a new contract. This is garbage 

  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Lmao yea, Tim isn’t about building his brand and succeeding especially on the eve of a new contract. This is garbage 

There is truth somewhere in between.  Has the team missed Anderson in either abscence?

I want to like Anderson and want him to be the face of the team and change the game but there are too many lapses in his game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, he gone. said:

Just save this though, cause if it happens we'll be calling for a DFA of Andrus like we did for Harrison. 

Truth is with the crop of available second baseman you just pick one & stick with it. None are good. What you can't do is spend $5mm on Harrison, $5mm on Leury, $5mm on Andrus, etc. That's the biggest issue with Leury. Leury's are grown on trees. Guys who are good enough to be in the majors as UTIL for 4-5 years from like age 26-31 when they're in their athletic prime and then cut again for the next round of guy who can bounce around the infield and play decent 75 game ball. You can't spend payroll on a guy like that unless you're a top 5 payroll team. Romy and Sosa are your answers. 

Garcia, Elvis, Josh, Leury, Mendick, Sosa and Romy is a veritable Infield Melange. I am really liking what Elvis brings to the table and he seems to be a leader. He is bringing it all home for Tony. They absolutely need a quality LH/ RF no excuses. Colas can be the alt choice/ backup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

There is truth somewhere in between.  Has the team missed Anderson in either abscence?

I want to like Anderson and want him to be the face of the team and change the game but there are too many lapses in his game. 

Is the truth really in between?  You honestly think a healthy TA wouldn’t make this team better? TA has been a top 10 hitter in the league for the last four years and an all star, the face of this team and even having a shitty year this year is one of the better hitters in this roster.  Elvis has been wonderful since he has showed up but the guy has been largely mediocre in the same four year timeframe as TA

  • Like 2
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If other position players were meeting expectations, the standards I would have for 2B and RF would be to have one impact bat with a decent glove (RF) + one good glove who can produce at a league-average level with the bat (100 OPS+)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is the truth really in between?  You honestly think a healthy TA wouldn’t make this team better? TA has been a top 10 hitter in the league for the last four years and an all star, the face of this team and even having a shitty year this year is one of the better hitters in this roster.  Elvis has been wonderful since he has showed up but the guy has been largely mediocre in the same four year timeframe as TA

For this season I am not sold that he is coming back and playing better than Andrus has.  Elvis is playing well.  I am not advocating for a long term deal but rushing Anderson back and placing him atop the lineup thinking he will be 2020/2021 is not a guarantee. 

I am biased as maybe the lapses in his game that are purely based on being lazy stick out to me. 

I like him as a hitter but think he is terrible leadoff man and that is prior to this season and when he is hitting well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andrus is putting up an OPS he hasn't seen since 2017.  The WAR he is putting up is at a pace he hasn't seen since 2017.

Elvis Andrus hasn't put up a full season bWAR or fWAR of over 2 since 2017

Tim Anderson in his worst year since 2017 is still putting up a fWAR of 2.

2018 to 2022 Elvis has a combined fWAR of 7.  Tim Anderson is 16.

Can we please stop with the idea that someone a 34 year old Elvis Andrus is a better bet at SS than Tim Anderson?  This is the definition of small sample size.

  • Like 4
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Am I the only one who, when you look at defense and other intangibles, thinks that Elvis should remain at short stop and sit Tim down?  

Beyond defense, what intangibles?  Well, for starters, he actually wants to win more that build his brand. Tim's # 1 priority, to me, is more about being noticed anymore than helping the Sox win. I've felt that every since he was suspended for the 2nd time this season, you know, before the 3rd time. 

Examples: Serving three suspensions this year, getting picked off 1st base consecutive nights, some real bone-headed plays on defense. To me that is a guy who is not mentally into the game and  helping his team win each night. 

Example: Elvis's bunt last night in the big inning. That was a huge play. Would Tim have done that, tried to do that. Stuff like that is about winning, not being noticed. 

Can Elvis keep playing and batting at his current level?  Sure. Being with a contender has him playing harder that what he was doing for the A's

 

Now, I know you can't really do this, and the clubhouse would go crazy if Tim sat, but I don't think you can look at what is happening and what has happened all season and not think that the Sox are better with Elvis at short for the rest of the month and into the playoffs, if they get there. 

I hope so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...