AL Central Standings Thread

Quin

If Eloy, Robert and TA were in the line-up together for most of the year, we probably win the Division. It is not hard to imagine that when you see what Eloy alone has done since the All Star break.  Now Eloy needs someone other than Sheets hitting behind him to make sure he sees a few fast balls.

Similarly, having Robert in the line-up instead of Leury for most of the year would have changed a lot of games.

The Sox were not able to put the band back together for any length of time this year.

i dont wanna be a debbie downer but i hope you guys are leaning to the pleasantly surprised, if they make the playoffs now that they're 4gb in the loss column.  i'd say the odds of them making the playoffs at this point is probably close to 15%

edit: 23.2% (i was close!)

Edited by joejoesox
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, tray said:

If Eloy, Robert and TA were in the line-up together for most of the year, we probably win the Division. It is not hard to imagine that when you see what Eloy alone has done since the All Star break.  Now Eloy needs someone other than Sheets hitting behind him to make sure he sees a few fast balls.

Similarly, having Robert in the line-up instead of Leury for most of the year would have changed a lot of games.

The Sox were not able to put the band back together for any length of time this year.

Might've helped if this team's situational hitting wasn't abysmal for most of the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, White Sox Park said:

Win the next 3 games . 2 of 3, or better, in Detroit, that sets up a HUGE series against Cleveland.

Yep. 5-1 or better week including W @ CLE is badly needed. Should be 1 game back or better heading into that huge series next week with that. Anything short of that will definitely require a sweep of Cleveland next week.  

47 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

i dont wanna be a debbie downer but i hope you guys are leaning to the pleasantly surprised, if they make the playoffs now that they're 4gb in the loss column.  i'd say the odds of them making the playoffs at this point is probably close to 15%

edit: 23.2% (i was close!)

That's where I'm at. I don't expect miracles but I would like to see Cleveland start losing a few games but they have a lot of home games left. Still have to play like TLR's presence doesn't mean anything. Figures they would lose that game where he was in Oakland.

If the Sox want to win they need to beat everyone, win every series and if that's not good enough so be it. They will get what they deserve.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wegner said:

Might've helped if this team's situational hitting wasn't abysmal for most of the year.

The Guardians are winning with almost all rookie or second year/Rule 5 bullpen guys...rookies or 2nd year players at every position on the field but Gimenez/Rosario/Jose Ramirez...and currently down two starting pitchers.

No excuses.

• Fire 1

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

Pretty obvious that they have to sweep the 4 games left with Cleveland....maybe 3 out of 4 gives them a shot but it'd be a slim one.  

You have to go back to the Ventura era (as manager, thankfully not as player) to find the last White Sox four game win streak over Cleveland.

Last Eight Four Plus Game Win Streaks (Cleveland vs. Chicago A. L.):

1. Cleveland over Chicago 2022 (4/20, 4/20, 4/21, 5/9)
  2. Cleveland over Chicago 2020  (8/8, 8/9, 9/21, 9/22, 9/23, 9/24)
  3. Cleveland over Chicago 2018 (8/11, 8/12, 9/18, 9/19)
  4. Cleveland over Chicago 2018 (5/28, 5/29, 5/30, 6/11)
  5. Cleveland over Chicago 2017. (9/4, 9/5, 9/6, 9/7, 9/29)
  6. Cleveland over Chicago 2016 (5/23, 5/24, 5/25, 6/17, 6/18, 6/19, 8/16)
  7. Chicago over Cleveland 2015 (8/23, 8/24, 8/25, 8/26)
  8. Cleveland over Chicago 2014 (8/28, 9/5, 9/6, 9/7)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Right we gained some games quickly when they were losing but they bounced right back and started winning again so Sox have to beat them and even that may not be enough if they let down against other teams.

Without that Clevinger deal for Quantrill, Naylor, Hedges, Owen Miller and Gabriel Arias...the division isn't even that close and the White Sox still win the Central by 3-5.

Not to mention Franmil Reyes is providing Cubs' fans some excitement, lol.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1

I totaled it up.  3.8 for all those players vs. 0.7 for CLEVINGER.

Of course, Gimenez and Rosario=6.9, Lindor, not that much, lol.  5.7 is solid, though.  Still, those two players allowed them to save a boatload on Francisco's salary, probably allowed them to sign Jose Ramirez instead and potentially keep Bieber around...or they can invest it in Clase/Karinchak/bullpen guys, too.   The other key is whether they want to try to keep Rosario around past his walk year next season.

The strange thing is that Kwan's the third best position player at 3.1.   Numbers 4-6 all fall in the 1.4-1.7 range, which is about where many predicted Nick Madrigal would be.  Amazing how top heavy those top two hitters in Ramirez and Gimenez are.

Clevinger was 4.2 in 2018, 4.5 in 2019, but from 2020-22 only 1.4 fWAR combined.   White Sox will probably spend a ton on him in FA, lol.   Or cast Davis Martin as the second coming of...something.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I totaled it up.  3.8 for all those players vs. 0.7 for CLEVINGER.

Of course, Gimenez and Rosario=6.9, Lindor, not that much, lol.

The strange thing is that Kwan's the third best position player at 3.1.   Numbers 4-6 all fall in the 1.4-1.7 range, which is about where many predicted Nick Madrigal would be.  Amazing how top heavy those top two hitters in Ramirez and Gimenez are.

Clevinger was 4.2 in 2018, 4.5 in 2019, but from 2020-22 only 1.4 fWAR combined.   White Sox will probably spend a ton on him in FA, lol.   Or cast Davis Martin as the second coming of...something.

Didn't the Sox want Clevinger in 2020 but the clubhouse didn't want him?

27 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You have to go back to the Ventura era (as manager, thankfully not as player) to find the last White Sox four game win streak over Cleveland.

Last Eight Four Plus Game Win Streaks (Cleveland vs. Chicago A. L.):

1. Cleveland over Chicago 2022 (4/20, 4/20, 4/21, 5/9)
  2. Cleveland over Chicago 2020  (8/8, 8/9, 9/21, 9/22, 9/23, 9/24)
  3. Cleveland over Chicago 2018 (8/11, 8/12, 9/18, 9/19)
  4. Cleveland over Chicago 2018 (5/28, 5/29, 5/30, 6/11)
  5. Cleveland over Chicago 2017. (9/4, 9/5, 9/6, 9/7, 9/29)
  6. Cleveland over Chicago 2016 (5/23, 5/24, 5/25, 6/17, 6/18, 6/19, 8/16)
  7. Chicago over Cleveland 2015 (8/23, 8/24, 8/25, 8/26)
  8. Cleveland over Chicago 2014 (8/28, 9/5, 9/6, 9/7)

So you're saying there's a chance?  Yes!!!

• Hawk 1

I watched the Cle/LAA game. LAA.had a bad defensive inning that gave up 4 runs otherwise they win that game. Trout is going for a record tying 8 game HR streak tonight so everyone will be watching his at bats. Sox just need to win. They put themselves in this position by not playing well until September. 

• Like 1

At this point I am think my third place prediction is more likely than winning the division but I'll scoreboard watch a bit. 

After @Balta1701 convinced me this roster is much better than the 2020 lineup, I'm now blaming in order 

Injuries then Tony. Hahn hasn't done as bad a job as I've been thinking. I thought this 25 man roster was worst than the past two seasons. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

At this point I am think my third place prediction is more likely than winning the division but I'll scoreboard watch a bit. 

After @Balta1701 convinced me this roster is much better than the 2020 lineup, I'm now blaming in order 

Injuries then Tony. Hahn hasn't done as bad a job as I've been thinking. I thought this 25 man roster was worst than the past two seasons. 

I'll go with this order....Situational Hitting, LaRussa, Situational Hitting, Injuries, Situational Hitting, the Nationwide Jingle Curse, Situational Hitting and Joe Kelly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

I watched the Cle/LAA game. LAA.had a bad defensive inning that gave up 4 runs otherwise they win that game. Trout is going for a record tying 8 game HR streak tonight so everyone will be watching his at bats. Sox just need to win. They put themselves in this position by not playing well until September. 

Trout is simply Amazing . I was watching the game when Ken Griffey Jr hit a home run that made it 8 in a row . Bryce Harper & Ken Griffey Jr, 2 of the best all time.

52 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'll go with this order....Situational Hitting, LaRussa, Situational Hitting, Injuries, Situational Hitting, the Nationwide Jingle Curse, Situational Hitting and Joe Kelly.

Grandal and Garcia are the two worst hitters in the AL (maybe all of baseball).  That has a huge impact on situational hitting. Both in their results in those situations and the fact that they do not create those situations to begin with.

Tony got ill and then poof Garcia can't find the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

The White Sox are hitting .273 with runners in scoring position this year. That is 5th best in baseball and higher than their .262 batting average overall. 

Remember that game a couple weeks ago where they somehow had 8 hits with RISP but only scored 6 runs? The problem isn't situational hitting and it hasn't been the whole year. They have a high batting average because that's their approach at the plate in every situation, sacrifice power for average. 

They have a .763 OPS with runners in scoring position, good for 14th in baseball. Despite being 5th in hits with RISP, 5th in total plate appearances with RISP, they are 11th in RBI in that case - because they don't hit the ball hard. They spent the whole year sacrificing power for contact because they wanted to be good situational hitters, when in reality they would have done way more damage if they were focused on driving the ball and sacrificed some extra strikeouts in the process.