AL Central Standings Thread

Quin

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I'll go with this order....Situational Hitting, LaRussa, Situational Hitting, Injuries, Situational Hitting, the Nationwide Jingle Curse, Situational Hitting and Joe Kelly.

I go with TWTW followed by Ganas.

Miguel Cairo told Eloy and the rest of the team you either give a s%*# or GTFO before his first game as interim manager. 

He told us pretty much, 'If you don’t want to be here, then get the (expletive) out,'" All-Star closer Liam Hendriks told USA TODAY Sports. “It was eye-opening to some guys who really have never been told no.”

Tony was the grandparent who spoiled the grandchildren, leaving them with 14 cavities and borderline obesity by feeding them ice cream, cake and pop for 90 days over the Summer.

Miguel is holding players accountable, which hasn’t happened since Ricky Renteria was here. It should have been done much earlier. Your not hearing the “I told Tony we are or are not doing this or I’m just ignoring his ass” quotes you heard from at least a few players last season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

The White Sox are hitting .273 with runners in scoring position this year. That is 5th best in baseball and higher than their .262 batting average overall. 

Remember that game a couple weeks ago where they somehow had 8 hits with RISP but only scored 6 runs? The problem isn't situational hitting and it hasn't been the whole year. They have a high batting average because that's their approach at the plate in every situation, sacrifice power for average. 

They have a .763 OPS with runners in scoring position, good for 14th in baseball. Despite being 5th in hits with RISP, 5th in total plate appearances with RISP, they are 11th in RBI in that case - because they don't hit the ball hard. They spent the whole year sacrificing power for contact because they wanted to be good situational hitters, when in reality they would have done way more damage if they were focused on driving the ball and sacrificed some extra strikeouts in the process. 

So we agree that the offense and offensive approach are the main reasons this team dug a hole that this late season surge most likely won't save them from.

29 minutes ago, wegner said:

So we agree that the offense and offensive approach are the main reasons this team dug a hole that this late season surge most likely won't save them from.

Oh totally, I just wouldn't describe that as situational hitting. 

And the awful defense and disappointing pitching each would also show up in "main reasons this team dug a hole" as well, to at least a comparable level as the offense. 

51 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I go with TWTW followed by Ganas.

Miguel Cairo told Eloy and the rest of the team you either give a s%*# or GTFO before his first game as interim manager. 

Tony was the grandparent who spoiled the grandchildren, leaving them with 14 cavities and borderline obesity by feeding them ice cream, cake and pop for 90 days over the Summer.

Miguel is holding players accountable, which hasn’t happened since Ricky Renteria was here. It should have been done much earlier. Your not hearing the “I told Tony we are or are not doing this or I’m just ignoring his ass” quotes you heard from at least a few players last season.

Wow, so it looks like the substitute teacher brought the paddle and a ruler to crack some knuckles. Liking it.

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh totally, I just wouldn't describe that as situational hitting. 

And the awful defense and disappointing pitching each would also show up in "main reasons this team dug a hole" as well, to at least a comparable level as the offense. 

An example of what I consider situational hitting is this....I've been watching baseball and White Sox baseball for a long time, and I cannot remember any team that is so bad with the bases loaded.  It is very odd.  

I agree defense has been bad as well....unfortunately this team does not play good baseball and their talent level has fallen off to a point that playing bad baseball really matters.

Finally, the lack of hustle at times is something that most White Sox fans, me included, just cannot stand.

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

So are we holding back Cease for Cleveland?  Risky, but I think we should.  Sox are essentially 5 back with 2 weeks to play - chances must be taken.

Cease is scheduled to start game 1 against Cleveland when they're in Chicago next week. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Lynn against the Guardians this year:

July 11: 4 IP, 8 ER
July 23 (DH): 6 IP, 0 ER, 3 hits, 6 Ks
August 19: 5.2 IP, 1 ER, 5 hits, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 6 Ks. 

Lance Lynn was basically completing Spring Training his first seven starts of the season, including July 11, and likely wasn’t fully healthy.

Lynn may not win Thursday, but I’d expect a 6 IP 0-2 run performance, putting them in a position to win if the Sox offense and bullpen does their job. Also assuming they will not pitch to Jose Ramirez, who should not see a good pitch to hit if the Sox are concentrating.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

sorry if someone else wrote this, kinda skipped to the end. with cleveland winning tonight they've played 140 games and have a 75-65 record. assuming a 11-11 finish which is ... probably favorable? they end up at 86 wins. since they'll likely have the tie breaker we'll need 87 wins. we are 72-69. We'll need to finish 15-6 (14-6 if we hold on tonight to win) in order to win the division. obviously for every game they win above 11-11 it gets that much tougher. Finish 13-9? They have 88 wins.  We'd then need 89 and to finish 17-4. 

Needless to say, i'm not a fan of math after thinking this through. So much can happen. Let's hope for a sweep of Rox, a loss tomorrow by CLE and we beat them head to head. That current 3.5 game deficit turns into 1 game VERY QUICKLY. 

I know they're all must wins, but this week is especially important. 

12 hours ago, wegner said:

I'll go with this order....Situational Hitting, LaRussa, Situational Hitting, Injuries, Situational Hitting, the Nationwide Jingle Curse, Situational Hitting and Joe Kelly.

Aren't better players, by definition, better at situational hitting? Seems like our starters playing in more games would have helped?

• TLR 1

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Aren't better players, by definition, better at situational hitting? Seems like our starters playing in more games would have helped?

I apologize if I did not use the LaRussa emoji properly there....still don't have the handle on that one but I'll still use it occasionally.

1 hour ago, he gone. said:

sorry if someone else wrote this, kinda skipped to the end. with cleveland winning tonight they've played 140 games and have a 75-65 record. assuming a 11-11 finish which is ... probably favorable? they end up at 86 wins. since they'll likely have the tie breaker we'll need 87 wins. we are 72-69. We'll need to finish 15-6 (14-6 if we hold on tonight to win) in order to win the division. obviously for every game they win above 11-11 it gets that much tougher. Finish 13-9? They have 88 wins.  We'd then need 89 and to finish 17-4. 

Needless to say, i'm not a fan of math after thinking this through. So much can happen. Let's hope for a sweep of Rox, a loss tomorrow by CLE and we beat them head to head. That current 3.5 game deficit turns into 1 game VERY QUICKLY. 

I know they're all must wins, but this week is especially important. 

Sox have to win 3/4 vs Cleveland and go 11-6 or better in their other 17 games if Cleveland goes 10-10 or worse rest of season against non Sox teams. It’s doable, but it absolutely starts with sweeping Rox, beating Cleveland Thursday and getting at worse 2/3 in Detroit this weekend. Then you at least control your destiny with 3 at home vs. Cleveland next week with the chance to pass them.