AL Central Standings Thread

Quin

2 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The absolute kick in the balls would be if we lose the tie breaker then finish the season with the same record as them

It would, but also I don’t want hear any complaining about how unfair it is either. They did it that way this year because the backup should be a wildcard spot. Since it’ll be lower than the 6-seed…shut up and go home. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, flavum said:

Sox win the next 6. Same record with 14 left. You heard it here first. 

That’s be Cleveland going 5-1 against Halos and Twins coming up. Gotta hope the Twins can at least get 2/5. Need help from them, and ideally Angels tomorrow. 

19 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Don't see the Dodgers, Yankees, Braves or Rays keeping Colas in the minors if they were down to Pollock, Vaughn and Sheets as their regular OF, with an injured Luis Robert trying to play through a bad injury (10 ABs since August 25).

Healthy stud

Injured stud

Have to agree with you on this one and the kicker is  the Sox could keep him down til May to gain the extra year while teams you mention all don't care about that. Even bad teams who should care about the extra year don't care like Arizona and Pittsburgh.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Have to agree with you on this one and the kicker is  the Sox could keep him down til May to gain the extra year while teams you mention all don't care about that. Even bad teams who should care about the extra year don't care like Arizona and Pittsburgh.

I don't think sox are holding down Colas for control reasons (given his age). He still struggles with any non-fastballs, but I agree I'd probably try it out given the all hands on deck moment they are in. In a much less exciting move, I think I'd prefer Cespedes over Engel at this point. He has been dynamic defensively and Engel has slowed down a bit from elite speed to very very good. Not expecting much more offensively, but who is our best defensive outfielder right now?

2 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think sox are holding down Colas for control reasons (given his age). He still struggles with any non-fastballs, but I agree I'd probably try it out given the all hands on deck moment they are in. In a much less exciting move, I think I'd prefer Cespedes over Engel at this point. He has been dynamic defensively and Engel has slowed down a bit from elite speed to very very good. Not expecting much more offensively, but who is our best defensive outfielder right now?

They must throw some piss poor changeups, curves and sliders in AA and if thats the case why isn't he in AAA then facing the AAAA and older craftier pitchers now. He's got nothing left to prove in AA. I still find it hard to believe given his arm , defensive value, power and ability to hit both lefties and righties that he isn't ready to contribute now. You don't think he could hit .250 hit as many HR's and contribute more than Sheets/Leury/Engel/Pollock/Vaughn defensively ?

I agree with you about Cespedes over Engel . He may K a bunch but he has talent and power, speed and a much better arm.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

I believe the Sox were 3 games up as late as September 18th and ended up losing the division by 3 games. Definitely possible. 

As much as anything that came down to the Sox pitching staff being exhausted. Sale was in the bullpen in 2011 and Quintana was in A ball, so multiple key guys hit a wall. 

Is Cleveland in that spot any time soon?

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

That’s be Cleveland going 5-1 against Halos and Twins coming up. Gotta hope the Twins can at least get 2/5. Need help from them, and ideally Angels tomorrow. 

If Minnesota can get their s%*# together, they have a good shot to take 3 of 5 vs Cleveland. With a doubleheader in there the Guardians are slated to start 3 starters who normally wouldn't be in their rotation. Bieber Friday, Quantrill Monday. Sandwiched around Pilkington, Morris, and a TBD.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

As much as anything that came down to the Sox pitching staff being exhausted. Sale was in the bullpen in 2011 and Quintana was in A ball, so multiple key guys hit a wall. 

40% of Cleveland’s current rotation is Konnor Pilkington  and Cody Morris. McKenzie has already eclipsed his career high in IP by 25 innings, and Quantrill has also passed his career high already and made 18 pen appearances last year. So yes, Cleveland is very much in that spot already, Not soon. Not to mention Francona is using his best pen arms nearly every night which also isn’t sustainable. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

40% of Cleveland’s current rotation is Konnor Pilkington  and Cody Morris. McKenzie has already eclipsed his career high in IP by 25 innings, and Quantrill has also passed his career high already and made 18 pen appearances last year. So yes, Cleveland is very much in that spot already, Not soon. Not to mention Francona is using his best pen arms nearly every night which also isn’t sustainable. 

Sounds like Civale is close to returning. Rehab start tomorrow. He sucks but it's another arm to factor in.

5 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

If Minnesota can get their s%*# together, they have a good shot to take 3 of 5 vs Cleveland. With a doubleheader in there the Guardians are slated to start 3 starters who normally wouldn't be in their rotation. Bieber Friday, Quantrill Monday. Sandwiched around Pilkington, Morris, and a TBD.

I’d be more excited if Cleveland didn’t have the ability to pick names out of a hat and have those guys go 6IP 1ER

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Considering they have no off days for the next 2 weeks and are using Pilkington and Morris as 2 of their starters, it's possible. McKenzie is at 165 innings and he's never thrown more than 143 in his pro career. Quantrill is at 157 innings and he's never thrown more than 150 innings in his pro career. It hasn't caught up to them yet but we'll see.