AL Central Standings Thread

Quin

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They must throw some piss poor changeups, curves and sliders in AA and if thats the case why isn't he in AAA then facing the AAAA and older craftier pitchers now. He's got nothing left to prove in AA. I still find it hard to believe given his arm , defensive value, power and ability to hit both lefties and righties that he isn't ready to contribute now. You don't think he could hit .250 hit as many HR's and contribute more than Sheets/Leury/Engel/Pollock/Vaughn defensively ?

I agree with you about Cespedes over Engel . He may K a bunch but he has talent and power, speed and a much better arm.

I would say the stuff is probably good enough but less controlled, and if he can't lay off on it way outside zone he's not gonna when it's close.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

40% of Cleveland’s current rotation is Konnor Pilkington  and Cody Morris. McKenzie has already eclipsed his career high in IP by 25 innings, and Quantrill has also passed his career high already and made 18 pen appearances last year. So yes, Cleveland is very much in that spot already, Not soon. Not to mention Francona is using his best pen arms nearly every night which also isn’t sustainable. 

Clase is tied for the league lead in appearances out of the bullpen and he's on pace for about 75 or 76 appearances. That's high but not totally insane. Their next 4 to 5 guys all have appearances and innings in the 50s. It seems like they're doing a good job of keeping those guys healthy and I'm not sure I'd write off anything in their pen as unsustainable given that they've done it all year. An injury out of those guys could certainly happen but that bullpen looks fairly deep on the statistics. 

47 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Well this is interesting...

Big 6'6 righty with a 4.24 ERA across 21 starts in AA/AAA this season.  11.7 K/9, 1.13 WHIP.

Made one previous start for the Guardians this year pitching 3.1 with 8 ER (2 K / 2 BB) against Houston in early August. 

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Clase is tied for the league lead in appearances out of the bullpen and he's on pace for about 75 or 76 appearances. That's high but not totally insane. Their next 4 to 5 guys all have appearances and innings in the 50s. It seems like they're doing a good job of keeping those guys healthy and I'm not sure I'd write off anything in their pen as unsustainable given that they've done it all year. An injury out of those guys could certainly happen but that bullpen looks fairly deep on the statistics. 

Clase has pitched in 5 of this last 6 games and 8/10.  That is definitely unsustainable.  I was referring to lately, which is far more relevant than what happened early in the season at this juncture.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Big 6'6 righty with a 4.24 ERA across 21 starts in AA/AAA this season.  11.7 K/9, 1.13 WHIP.

Made one previous start for the Guardians this year pitching 3.1 with 8 ER (2 K / 2 BB) against Houston in early August. 

Maybe the Cleveland scouting / analytics department knows something about this kid and how it stacks up against the Sox's tendencies as hitters....

...or maybe they just wanted McKenzie to have an extra day off for the aforementioned workload management reasons.

Just now, JoeC said:

Maybe the Cleveland scouting / analytics department knows something about this kid and how it stacks up against the Sox's tendencies as hitters....

...or maybe they just wanted McKenzie to have an extra day off for the aforementioned workload management reasons.

Curious decision, to be sure.  Sox seem to benefit, for now.  Will be curious to see their reasoning that the beat writer alluded to.  

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Clase has pitched in 5 of this last 6 games and 8/10.  That is definitely unsustainable.  I was referring to lately, which is far more relevant than what happened early in the season at this juncture.  

Tito knows the Sox have the better team and is doing everything he can to will his team into the playoffs.  Talk about 4D chess.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

I would say the stuff is probably good enough but less controlled, and if he can't lay off on it way outside zone he's not gonna when it's close.

I can see his walks are down and K's slightly higher from A+ to AA but his hitting has gone from 129 to 147 wRC+.

He hasn't had a single error in 29 games, 253 Inning in RF for Birmingham and has 5 assists.

Vaughn 0 assists in 284 innings in RF

Sheets 1 assist in 517 innings in RF

Engel  0 assists in  288 innings in RF

Garcia 0 assists 62 inning played in RF

Pollock 0 assists in 91 innings in RF

That's 1 assist in 1200+ innings played in RF vs 5 assists in 253 innings played in RF.

Our current guys get run on all the time by teams like the Guardians and Orioles because they aren't accurate nor do they have particularly strong arms. Colas has both a strong arm and is accurate.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can see his walks are down and K's slightly higher from A+ to AA but his hitting has gone from 129 to 147 wRC+.

He hasn't had a single error in 29 games, 253 Inning in RF for Birmingham and has 5 assists.

I think Engel probably gets non-tendered. Sox are going to need to be crafty around the edges as they only have about $30M to spend on the 2023 roster and ~18-$20M of that should go to 1 player, and we're going to need a 5th SP as well.  

Cespedes for Engel as the 4th/5th OF saves ~$3M.  

5 hours ago, bmags said:

I don't think sox are holding down Colas for control reasons (given his age). He still struggles with any non-fastballs, but I agree I'd probably try it out given the all hands on deck moment they are in. In a much less exciting move, I think I'd prefer Cespedes over Engel at this point. He has been dynamic defensively and Engel has slowed down a bit from elite speed to very very good. Not expecting much more offensively, but who is our best defensive outfielder right now?

Yes, he turns 24 on Saturday. Trying to bleed him out until he is 31 or 32 is absurd if they are actually trying to win now. 

You can agree with the premise it wasn’t smart to spend good money after bad at the deadline. After rallying the past two weeks, and the urgent need for an OFer with Robert likely hobbled until next year (and hopefully they are not jeopardizing that by their usage), it would be a win win for both Colas and the team’s morale. Worst case scenario he gets a taste of the Big Leagues and they start a 24 year old’s clock, the best case he delivers and they salvage this season with a second AL Central Division Title.

In terms of who the best defensive OFers are on the current active roster plus coaching staff, I’d go:

1. Luis Robert
  2. Adam Engel
  3. Leury Garcia
  4. Romy Gonzalez
  5. AJ Pollock
  6. Dylan Cease
  7. Eloy Jimenez
  8.  Just about everyone else including pitchers.
  9. Andrew Vaughn
  10. Gavin Sheets
  11. Miguel Cairo
  12. Daryl Boston
  13. Yasmani Grandal
  14. Tony La Russa
  15. Lance Lynn

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Could be they saw how that kid from Oakland pitched against the Sox or how the Sox have fared facing guys up from the minors ? Maybe they discovered our prep work for those guys is bad.

Gaddis strikes out 12 per 9 in the minors and walks 3 per 9. I don't think this guy is that much like Austin Pruitt, but I don't think we should take him lightly just because he got beat up by the Astros. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Engel probably gets non-tendered. Sox are going to need to be crafty around the edges as they only have about $30M to spend on the 2023 roster and ~18-$20M of that should go to 1 player, and we're going to need a 5th SP as well.  

Cespedes for Engel as the 4th/5th OF saves ~$3M.  

Yep I already agreed with the Cespedes for Engel move next year that bmags said but basically I was agreeing with myself since in  another post I'm pretty sure I said the same thing a week or 2 ago. The stats I listed were for Colas comparing him defensively in RF to our current crop of OF who have played in RF this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

From those numbers it's clear that teams are afraid to run on our outfielders.

• Haha 1