AL Central Standings Thread

Quin

23 hours ago, flavum said:

I’ll go with Sox 2-1, Cle 3-2

Still three back when the series starts. Hopefully Cease is on, and then Cleveland starts feeling the pressure, and the Sox somehow sweep and get the tiebreaker. 

Still possible, but we’re calling hospice soon. 

Twins better win Gm 1 today. 

Cleveland has 19 to play, White Sox have 17 to play.

If Cleveland goes 9-10, they finish 86-76.

Assuming 1 Cleveland win against Chicago, the White Sox would need to go 13-4.

If Cleveland goes 11-8, the White Sox need to finish 15-2.

Counting the one in progress, they have 6 remaining series. It is not far fetched to say they need to win every series and sweep 4 of them. Or in other words, if they lose 1 game to Cleveland, it is fairly likely that they can lose 1 more game this season.

12 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

We are currently 4-3 against the A's, Rockies, and Tigers this week. That is not gonna get it done. This team is finished. Fire Hahn, TLR, and be prepared to launch some of our busts. 

There’s a good chance they will wind up 5-4 or 6-3 against those teams. It’s difficult to genuinely demand “you must do better than that” in baseball, that’s not how the game works. 

The problem is the hole they dug earlier this year.

I believe I heard that Cleveland has won 20 of the last 21 at home against the Angels.  You can expect to dominate some lousy teams and for the most part the Sox have handled Detroit.  A bigger issue is how bad they were against the Royals this season. 

But in general it's tough to just play .500 ball for a whole season then expect to just turn it on and  dominate the competition.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Cleveland has 19 to play, White Sox have 17 to play.

If Cleveland goes 9-10, they finish 86-76.

Assuming 1 Cleveland win against Chicago, the White Sox would need to go 13-4.

If Cleveland goes 11-8, the White Sox need to finish 15-2.

Counting the one in progress, they have 6 remaining series. It is not far fetched to say they need to win every series and sweep 4 of them. Or in other words, if they lose 1 game to Cleveland, it is fairly likely that they can lose 1 more game this season.

yeah just so unlikely. im preparing myself now

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There’s a good chance they will wind up 5-4 or 6-3 against those teams. It’s difficult to genuinely demand “you must do better than that” in baseball, that’s not how the game works. 

The problem is the hole they dug earlier this year.

Yep. 6 and 3 is for sure acceptable, but when you dig this type of hole because you got dog walked by KC and Arizona, then it's your fault. 

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Well at least we should be able to hold on to 2nd place in the Central 

"Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say 'Wow, we got a shot. We're in it!' But there's always the carrot left."

- Jerry Reinsdorf White Sox 1980-2022 ownership philosophy as stated to David Samson

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

"Finish in second place every single year because your fans will say 'Wow, we got a shot. We're in it!' But there's always the carrot left."

- Jerry Reinsdorf White Sox 1980-2022 ownership philosophy as stated to David Samson

But I hate carrots.

25 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Cleveland seems to be making a statement going down the stretch that they are now competitively post season viable despite the fact the division is not.

I was watching them last night and there is a presence thinking they can't lose.  It's a big difference from having to win every game.   If they sweep the double header and Sox lose it's probably over.

• Like 1