That's a White Sox 5 run 9th Winner !!

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

39 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not on the road in the last 5 games . Sucking needs qualifiers. He pitched well for 5 innings. Gave up a couple in the 6th while tiring but 3 runs total kept the Sox in a position to win it along with the relief work of Kelly and Bummer. That's pretty much all you can ask of a starting pitcher to keep you within striking distance.

He also looks way different if you look past what his defense has done to him, adding over a run per game to his ERA.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gio gave a run in the 1st and people were already melting down. Gio sucks, the offense sucks, typical after scoring runs the day before can't score any the next game. Did I miss anything ?

Yes you did:

1. Gio did suck to get us down right after one inning 1-0 and have us down 3-0 thru 5 innings. Keep in mind to a last place team 38 games under .500 at the time and worst record in the AL and 2nd worst in MLB.

2. The Sox were no hit for 6 innings.

3. The Sox had 3 hits and zero runs score through 8 innings.

4. The Sox hit 15 groundballs, in which 2 resulted in getting on with an error and one infield single. The remaining 12 groundballs were outs and many of them weak groundball outs.

I'm not sure what your point is. Like we were pissed and irritated for the first 8 innings for no good reason? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes you did:

1. Gio did suck to get us down right after one inning 1-0 and have us down 3-0 thru 5 innings. Keep in mind to a last place team 38 games under .500 at the time and worst record in the AL and 2nd worst in MLB.

4. The Sox hit 15 groundballs, in which 2 resulted in getting on with an error and one infield single. The remaining 12 groundballs were outs and many of them weak groundball outs.

I'm not sure what your point is. Like we were pissed and irritated for the first 8 innings for no good reason? 

Yeah I don’t get these guys that are trying to rub peoples noses in it. The team deserved heavy criticism, I’m glad they won but the first 8 innings against a horrible team were utterly trash. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes you did:

I didn't mention the hitting at all because people can be as pissed as they want but 3 runs in 6 innings isn't a bad thing but it is when your team has 0 runs. If you want athletes to be perfect then what can I tell you ? Be pissed then. You made 4 points and 3 of them were about the hitting which, again, I didn't mention.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I didn't mention the hitting at all because people can be as pissed as they want but 3 runs in 6 innings isn't a bad thing but it is when your team has 0 runs. If you want athletes to be perfect then what can I tell you ? Be pissed then. You made 4 points and 3 of them were about the hitting which, again, I didn't mention.

Actually you did mention hitting. Gio gave a run in the 1st and people were already melting down. Gio sucks, the offense sucks, typical after scoring runs the day before can't score any the next game. Did I miss anything ?

I think most people here from your post, read your comments like we were all panicking for no good reason. The fact is, there isn't one person here who wasn't pissed and worried for 8 innings and not screaming at this team in front of their TV. Yes it was a dramatic finish and awesome win, but don't imply we had nothing to worry about for 8 innings and you saw this victory coming. 

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

Yeah I don’t get these guys that are trying to rub peoples noses in it. The team deserved heavy criticism, I’m glad they won but the first 8 innings against a horrible team were utterly trash. 

Baseball is a game of patience it always has been. If I see posts saying we're going to be 3 games back after the 1st inning people deserve there noses rubbed in it. Baseball isn't a game for reactionaries. you win or lose after the game is over not in the 1st, 4th, 5th or 8th especially when you are only a few runs behind.

If you criticize you team's players then you are open to criticism when you make make mistakes in your fandom. Don't like it ? Great, now you understand how athletes feel getting booed.

Why are so many people defending Giolito?  The A’s have a historically bad offense and he gave up 3 Runs and just looks like he has nothing on the mound.

90-91 4 seam fastball that he can’t locate especially well

change up doesn’t get swing and miss anymore and doesn’t throw them for strikes often (for good reason)

slider is very average and unless he throws it in the perfect spot it’s definitely not a put away pitch.

Any above average, playoff type offense would absolutely demolish him so fast.

He cannot be allowed to face the Guardians as those 4 games are critically important, rotation needs to be adjusted so that Cease gets 2 of those 4 games.

HELL of a win! Best of the season!

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

22 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually you did mention hitting. Gio gave a run in the 1st and people were already melting down. Gio sucks, the offense sucks, typical after scoring runs the day before can't score any the next game. Did I miss anything ?

I think most people here from your post, read your comments like we were all panicking for no good reason. The fact is, there isn't one person here who wasn't pissed and worried for 8 innings and not screaming at this team in front of their TV. Yes it was a dramatic finish and awesome win, but don't imply we had nothing to worry about for 8 innings and you saw this victory coming. 

I wasn't. Can't win every game even against shitty teams. Expecting it now after what we've seen the whole season just because they are hot now doesn't make sense to me.

Ok you're right .I did mention the hitting but only in the context that the lead wasn't insurmountable and acting as if it was is silly. Even with how poor the Sox have been once they fall behind by a few runs but they have playing better lately so I don't panic.

I purposely left the game thread because it was too negative and there's no use trying to fight the negative wave against the hordes. Now we have to rely on KC, the shitty team we couldn't beat up on to help us out because expecting a .700 winning percentage to win the division is expecting a miracle.

I want them to play .700 ball the rest of the way but I'm not going to rant and rave if they don't because they aren't that good and expecting them to be that good is senseless.

Like now I see posts saying the Sox have to beat Cleveland the remaining 4 games with them. That's not going to happen.Sorry . When your expectations are unrealistic that's when fans act the most foolish. The Sox are going to have to win the division outright, that's also a bit unrealistic but doable. But even a 2 game losing streak coupled with Cleveland winning 2 games in the same time span will make things extremely difficult. The Sox also can do no worse than 2-2 against Cleveland or that will also make the road nearly impossible.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

14 minutes ago, RJSox_22 said:

Why are so many people defending Giolito?  The A’s have a historically bad offense and he gave up 3 Runs and just looks like he has nothing on the mound.

90-91 4 seam fastball that he can’t locate especially well

change up doesn’t get swing and miss anymore and doesn’t throw them for strikes often (for good reason)

slider is very average and unless he throws it in the perfect spot it’s definitely not a put away pitch.

Any above average, playoff type offense would absolutely demolish him so fast.

He cannot be allowed to face the Guardians as those 4 games are critically important, rotation needs to be adjusted so that Cease gets 2 of those 4 games.

HELL of a win! Best of the season!

If you look at anything but his ERA, you will see that his defense is his biggest enemy.

I am trying to not read to much into this recent surge from TLR's absence to Andrus and Romy. It's September and it was really now or never with this team.

Still, the Sox seems to have found something with Andrus and Romy up the middle, especially Andrus. He has delivered desperately needed veteran leadership and baseball savvy  but I also believe the attitude of this team switched soon after he arrived. Sometimes it just takes that guy to come in, flash a smile, play well,  and show some excitement to loosen up a team because this team has played tight all year. This has been TA until this year. Hope he is taking notes.

Also, Eloy has been huge. This is the bat we have been missing for most of the year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

While that is definitely true, if you also look at his stuff, he doesn’t have much of anything. A good offense would pound him right now with that stuff. 

3 runs in 6 innings is not bad or good. Gio is just not an ace but giving up 3 in 6 is a serviceable Major League pitcher but, you're right, he should not be pitching in a must win game.

Not everyone is Cease.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

3 runs in 6 innings is not bad or good. Gio is just not an ace but giving up 3 in 6 is a serviceable Major League pitcher but, you're right, he should not be pitching in a must win game.

Not everyone is Cease.

The As offense sucks though so that is solid but not good when you consider the bad pitches he threw. Defense and offense has hurt all of our pitchers. No way I re-sign him to a big deal without him turning a major corner. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I wasn't. Can't win every game even against shitty teams. Expecting it now after what we've seen the whole season just because they are hot now doesn't make sense to me.

Ok you're right .I did mention the hitting but only in the context that the lead wasn't insurmountable and acting as if it was is silly. Even with how poor the Sox have been once they fall behind by a few runs but they have playing better lately so I don't panic.

I purposely left the game thread because it was too negative and there's no use trying to fight the negative wave against the hordes. Now we have to rely on KC, the shitty team we couldn't beat up on to help us out because expecting a .700 winning percentage to win the division is expecting a miracle.

I want them to play .700 ball the rest of the way but I'm not going to rant and rave if they don't because they aren't that good and expecting them to be that good is senseless.

Like now I see posts saying the Sox have to beat Cleveland the remaining 4 games with them. That's not going to happen.Sorry . When your expectations are unrealistic that's when fans act the most foolish. The Sox are going to have to win the division outright, that's also a bit unrealistic but doable. But even a 2 game losing streak coupled with Cleveland winning 2 games in the same time span will make things extremely difficult. The Sox also can do no worse than 2-2 against Cleveland or that will also make the road nearly impossible.

Actually on your first point, at this late stage of the season being that we are hot and playing the worst team in the AL and 2nd worst in MLB, I think we can expect to beat the shitty teams like the A's.

Actually on your point you didn't think the lead was insurmountable, the way the Sox were playing, being no hit for 6 innings and having only 3 hits and zero runs for 8 innings, didn't lead anyone other than apparently you to believe they were going to pull it out. Of course everyone was hoping for the miracle 9th inning which we thankfully got, but it didn't look good. 

As far as how well we do in the last four games against Cleveland I am one of them that does believe those 4 games are critical. Yes the Sox have to win the division based on taking care of their own business. However the Sox still remain 3 games back in the loss column. As a result, taking 3 of 4 from Cleveland or sweeping them is extremely important if we are going to win this division. Maybe its unrealistic but that is what is needed. 

Most people outside Chicago feel we have more talent than Cleveland or Minnesota. The only thing that has ever hurt us were injuries, dumb play and a bad manager. Without hopefully the loser manager around anymore and they stay healthy with TA back, why can't we beat Cleveland head on 3 of 4? The fact is, if we can't beat Cleveland 3 of 4, then how in the hell will we be able to compete in the playoffs against the really great teams like the Dodgers, Astros, Braves, Mets and Yankees who are superior teams to the Guardians?

If we plan to win this division and not do another one and done like the last two years and actually go far in the playoffs, then we better be able to take 3 of 4 from the Guardians. The Sox need to stay hot and finish strong like the Braves did last year to build momentum into the playoffs. The bottom line is, the Sox need to play like the team we all thought they were suppose to be and not the one that has underperformed the first 139 games.

4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

WTF

I went to sleep in the 8th. Woke up this morning all pissy because of what I saw for 8 innings yesterday.

Just started checking my phone and saw white sox 5-3 ....could not believe my eyes

The fact of the matter is Tony would have fell asleep far earlier in the game, the hacks he would have started (everyday Leury, Big Energy, Grandal at DH, etc.) would have all gone 0-4, there would have been no pinch hitters, no life in the team, and no comeback, just like the first five months.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually on your first point, at this late stage of the season being that we are hot and playing the worst team in the AL and 2nd worst in MLB, I think we can expect to beat the shitty teams like the A's.

Actually on your point you didn't think the lead was insurmountable, the way the Sox were playing, being no hit for 6 innings and having only 3 hits and zero runs for 8 innings, didn't lead anyone other than apparently you to believe they were going to pull it out. Of course everyone was hoping for the miracle 9th inning which we thankfully got, but it didn't look good. 

As far as how well we do in the last four games against Cleveland I am one of them that does believe those 4 games are critical. Yes the Sox have to win the division based on taking care of their own business. However the Sox still remain 3 games back in the loss column. As a result, taking 3 of 4 from Cleveland or sweeping them is extremely important if we are going to win this division. Maybe its unrealistic but that is what is needed. 

Most people outside Chicago feel we have more talent than Cleveland or Minnesota. The only thing that has ever hurt us were injuries, dumb play and a bad manager. Without hopefully the loser manager around anymore and they stay healthy with TA back, why can't we beat Cleveland head on 3 of 4? The fact is, if we can't beat Cleveland 3 of 4, then how in the hell will we be able to compete in the playoffs against the really great teams like the Dodgers, Astros, Braves, Mets and Yankees who are superior teams to the Guardians?

If we plan to win this division and not do another one and done like the last two years and actually go far in the playoffs, then we better be able to take 3 of 4 from the Guardians. The Sox need to stay hot and finish strong like the Braves did last year to build momentum into the playoffs. The bottom line is, the Sox need to play like the team we all thought they were suppose to be and not the one that has underperformed the first 139 games.

I am not a total optimist by any stretch. With every inning that went by the odds of winning become less . I had more hope in the 3rd and 4th and 5th inning than I did after the 6th, 7th and 8th. And a lose to a crap team like Oakland would sting after the Guards beat Twins . I don't know if the Sox have more talent than the Guardians if you break it down.

In order to get the best bats in the lineup you have to play our worst defensive outfield. Even if Robert were healthy putting Vaughn and Sheets (especially Sheets on the road) kills the OF defense. Guardians have an edge in starting pitcher but maybe not for the stretch run with Plesac and Civale being out. Their BP is way better and that's where a lot of games are won and lost, they are way better defensively, they are faster, they have better balance in the lineup. Francona is considered one of the best Managers. The Sox have a nice edge in hitting but those other factors outweigh the only advantage the Sox have.

They've had guys like Kwan, Gimenez and Oscar Gonzales step up while we had guys like Anderson, Grandal, Pollock and Moncada taking steps back. This is a point often missed but is relevant seeing how well the Sox have played since Andrus Eloy and Romy have stepped up just recently.

I'm not going to set my expectations of the head to head matchups against the Guardians too high. I do think they have to take 3 of 4 to give themselves a much better chance to win the division. That makeup game on the 15th almost has to be a win but they still have 2 left to play with the A's and Rockies before that . Like I said expecting them to play .700 ball is also unrealistic but I'm hoping for 3 of 4 or .750 in those 4 games and maybe get the lead down to a game before the game on the 15th. Can't look too far ahead. Have to take care of the immediately business 1st.

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Baseball is a game of patience it always has been. If I see posts saying we're going to be 3 games back after the 1st inning people deserve there noses rubbed in it. Baseball isn't a game for reactionaries. you win or lose after the game is over not in the 1st, 4th, 5th or 8th especially when you are only a few runs behind.

If you criticize you team's players then you are open to criticism when you make make mistakes in your fandom. Don't like it ? Great, now you understand how athletes feel getting booed.

The white sox were dead for 8 innings and then pulled one out of their ass in the 9th. Just stop it. If someone gives up after one inning sure you can tell them to relax but this was 95% of the game. 

The odds of winning a road game down 3 in the 9th inning has got to be miniscule. They somehow pulled it out, that doesn’t mean they played well. 

Edited by T R U
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

Not everyone is Cease.

I’m not talking about how many runs he gave up. I was simply referring to watching him pitch. His stuff is just bad right now. When your fastball is a straight-as-an-arrow 4-seamer, and you can’t even command it very well, you aren’t going to fool anyone. The change-up isn’t as effective because of that, and the slider isn’t very good. He just doesn’t look good. I think a good offense would light him up at this point. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, T R U said:

The white sox were dead for 8 innings and then pulled one out of their ass in the 9th. Just stop it. If someone gives up after one inning sure you can tell them to relax but this was 95% of the game. 

The odds of winning a road game down 3 in the 9th inning has got to be miniscule. They somehow pulled it out, that doesn’t mean they played well. 

Yeah, you get ‘em!  They should have won differently

• Like 1