9/14 vs. Rockies @ 110CT - Cease v. Freeland: Keep Winning, Please

ChiSox59

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yoan Moncada Contract details:

Guaranteed salary:
2023: $17.8 million
2024: $24.8 million.
2025: $5 million buyout.

Who is taking that on right now under any circumstances? There are only a handful of players in all of MLB who have clearly worse contracts than that given his 2022 performance. 

I agree it’s a bad contract, maybe a bigger deal taking another bad contract back. I don’t think they want him back next year.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Guaranteed salary:

Who is taking that on right now under any circumstances? There are only a handful of players in all of MLB who have clearly worse contracts than that given his 2022 performance. $50 million remaining for 0.7 fWAR this year is Patrick Corbin territory ($59 million remaining for Corbin). 

That buys Moncada plenty of music video production time with lots of chicks. He is probably thinking why should he bust his butt in MLB with all that guaranteed money.  Players professionalism, character and will to win need to be evaluated before you give out these big guaranteed $ contracts.  Moncada is not Jose Abreu.

1 minute ago, reiks12 said:

5 games back of the Guardians with just 3 weeks to go. Not happening.

I got nothing against Cairo, but they need to do a real managerial search this time around. Maybe playing better in the last 2 weeks gives the team some sense of direction, but the FO and managerial staff shouldn't be free from consequences for blowing this season so badly. 

• Like 2

Just now, Soxfest said:

I agree it’s a bad contract, maybe a bigger deal taking another bad contract back. I don’t think they want him back next year.

There aren't many comparable bad contracts. That's the problem - he's actually been that bad. 

Guys who have more money on their really bad looking deals: Strasburg, Rendon, Sale. Are the White Sox taking on an extra $100 million or $50 million just to clear Moncada out? That'd be a really bad move.

Comparable money: Corbin. Would you do Corbin for Moncada? 

Guys who have bad money on their deals but who are owed less than Moncada: Hosmer, Miguel Cabrera, Josh Donaldson, Madison Bumgarner.

The Tigers aren't moving Cabrera, I do guess the Red Sox would do Hosmer for Moncada and take on the extra money and the Yankees would do Donaldson for Moncada and I would be genuinely excited to see the reaction of the board if they did that. Would the D-Backs take on extra money to move Bumgarner? Honestly probably not. 

So I guess Moncada for Hosmer or Moncada for Corbin makes sense if you want to do a bad contract swap. Excited for either of those? 

Just now, fathom said:

How do you make that deal knowing he could force his way to stay another year? Such a panic move by the coward Rick Hahn.

And they keep playing him, when Haseley or Payton would have been as good at bat, and better fielders, and stop giving him $1M for every 50 PAs, or every two weeks.

The Sox pulled the plug on the season in late July when they passed on adding at the deadline.  They should have DFA'd Pollock at that time, who would have likely signed at a pro-rated minimum elsewhere, would have stopped accruing all of these $1M bonuses, and would have taken the $5M plus a new 2023 contract $, vs. coming back to the team who cut him for $5M more. That's $9M or $10M the Sox lost for a few weeks of AAAish Pollock.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There aren't many comparable bad contracts. That's the problem - he's actually been that bad. 

Guys who have more money on their really bad looking deals: Strasburg, Rendon, Sale. Are the White Sox taking on an extra $100 million or $50 million just to clear Moncada out? That'd be a really bad move.

Guys who have bad money on their deals but who are owed less than Moncada: Hosmer, Miguel Cabrera, Josh Donaldson, Madison Bumgarner.

The Tigers aren't moving Cabrera, I do guess the Red Sox would do Hosmer for Moncada and take on the extra money and the Yankees would do Donaldson for Moncada and I would be genuinely excited to see the reaction of the board if they did that. Would the D-Backs take on extra money to move Bumgarner? Honestly probably not. 

So I guess Moncada for Hosmer or Moncada for Corbin makes sense if you want to do a bad contract swap. Excited for either of those? 

Has Corbin been bad because of the sticky stuff ban?  I don't know enough about him.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And they keep playing him, when Haseley or Payton would have been as good at bat, and better fielders, and stop giving him $1M for every 50 PAs, or every two weeks.

The Sox pulled the plug on the season in late July when they passed on adding at the deadline.  They should have DFA'd Pollock at that time, who would have likely signed at a pro-rated minimum elsewhere, would have stopped accruing all of these $1M bonuses, and would have taken the $5M plus a new 2023 contract $, vs. coming back to the team who cut him for $5M more. That's $9M or $10M the Sox lost for a few weeks of AAAish Pollock.

With a player option I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. I think to DFA him at the deadline would have cost his full contract in 2022 and the full $10 million option in 2023. You'd have saved the $1-2 million for the PA bonuses. 

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Has Corbin been bad because of the sticky stuff ban?  I don't know enough about him.

Corbin is bad cause he just sucks now. He was bad before the sticky ban. He basically turned into a BP machine after 2019. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Guaranteed salary:

Who is taking that on right now under any circumstances? There are only a handful of players in all of MLB who have clearly worse contracts than that given his 2022 performance. $50 million remaining for 0.7 fWAR this year is Patrick Corbin territory ($59 million remaining for Corbin). 

You can only dump Hahn's shitty players next year by adding good players.

The Dodgers don't sign Trea Turner, they may take on 1 or 2 contracts (Grandal, Moncada, Pollock) if you give them Tim Anderson and Liam Hendriks.

Then again, if Hahn is still here, wouldn't be surprised if he traded LIam and Tim straight up for Kimbrel and Bellinger.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Yoan is only 27. If he actually gets healthy and trains well this off-season he has a chance to be good again. Almost all those guys you listed are expensive and past their prime. I wouldn't give up on him yet but if he shows up in ST and hits .150 again we're gonna be in for a long next 2 seasons. 

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

He  did have a dropoff but that started in 2020 rather than mid-2021 so more likely something physical or in his mechanics than the ban. His stats have been generally quite bad since they won the title in 2019. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, chw42 said:

Yoan is only 27. If he actually gets healthy and trains well this off-season he has a chance to be good again. Almost all those guys you listed are expensive and past their prime. I wouldn't give up on him yet but if he shows up in ST and hits .150 again we're gonna be in for a long next 2 seasons. 

Maybe he should stop making stupid ass music videos and condition his damn body. Change the game my ass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You can only dump Hahn's shitty players next year by adding good players.

The Dodgers don't sign Trea Turner, they may take on 1 or 2 contracts (Grandal, Moncada, Pollock) if you give them Tim Anderson and Liam Hendriks.

Then again, if Hahn is still here, wouldn't be surprised if he traded LIam and Tim straight up for Kimbrel and Bellinger.

What is the point of getting rid of a Moncada salary if you're also getting rid of good players? Congrats, you've moved Moncada's salary so you have more money to spend on the free agent market, but you also must replace Tim Anderson. You have $29 million extra to spend but you have no starting SS or 3b. That doesn't even pay Correa's salary this year.

All you've done in that case is save Jerry Reinsdorf some money while making the team actually worse and less competitive. What's the point of doing that other than to throw a tantrum over Moncada being bad?