What's so good about Cleveland game thread 9-15 12:10 first pitch

southsider2k5

31 minutes ago, Highland said:

The offense went on a little rampage and things looked better. But against the Rockies, they scored a total of four runs in two games and again showed the inability to get hits with runners on. And they also got shut out in Seattle.  Somehow, I don't think much will change. Don't assume a sweep in Detroit regardless of what happens in Cleveland.

Eh. If Seby hits that ball about 2 more feet for a 3 run bomb, or if the outfielder didn't make the catch, it would be a different story. Slim margins

1 hour ago, flavum said:

9-1 the next 10 or it’s over. Have a nice day. 

8-2 probably keeps you alive.  

Over the same time frame the Guardians play Sox 4x, Twins 5x, and Texas 3 times. Meanwhile Sox get Guardians 4x, and the lowly Tigers who they've owned this year 6x. 

Assume Guardians go: 1-3 vs. Sox, 3-2 vs. Twins, and 2-1 vs Guardians 

Sox would be 81-72 with 9 to play.  Guardians 82-71 with the same to play. 1 game back, but 2 with the tie breaker.  Possible, but would need major help from the Rays, and more specifically, the Royals.  

Definitely possible Guardians do worse than 5-3 against the Twins and Rangers, though.

Ultimately, Sox at a minimum need to win the next 4 and then see where things sit going into the 3 game series vs. Cleveland next week.  If you win the next 4, they still would control their own destiny.  

Edited by ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

8-2 probably keeps you alive.  

Over the same time frame the Guardians play Sox 4x, Twins 5x, and Texas 3 times.

Assume Guardians go: 1-3 vs. Sox, 3-2 vs. Twins, and 2-1 vs Guardians 

Sox would be 81-72 with 9 to play.  Guardians 82-71 with the same to play. 1 game back, but 2 with the tie breaker.  Possible, but would need major help from the Rays, and more specifically, the Royals.  

Definitely possible Guardians do worse than 5-3 against the Twins and Rangers, though.

Ultimately, Sox at a minimum need to win the next 4 and then see where things sit going into the 3 game series vs. Cleveland next week.  If you win the next 4, they still would control their own destiny.  

Dear Lawd

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not saying its gonna happen.  Just legitimate scenarios on a White Sox message board in September.  Seems relevant.  

The fact that Clevelands last games are against Minnesota, Texas and KC is, well, not favorable. Only thing we really have going for us is the series they have against the rays, and at least the Sox can control their destiny with the 4 games they have left against them. 

Edited by ScooterMcGuire

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Guardians play 6 home games in the next 100 hours or so. At that point, the three AL Central contenders will have 15 games left, and the math will be real easy. And chances are, we won’t care by Monday afternoon, ha.

Do or die time. Do you believe in miracles?

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

The fact that Clevelands last games are against Minnesota, Texas and KC is, well, not favorable. 

No, Cleveland ending with 6 against KC is in fact not favorable.  You also conveniently left out the 3 vs. Rays who will be playing for HFA.  

In any event, the Sox are very clearly in an awful situation.  There is no debating that.  They need to be within 1 game a week from Sunday or all hope is lost.  Thankfully we get 4 games against Cleveland and 6 against an awful Tigers team during that span.  we've been saying it for months, but now its really now or never time.   

Edited by ChiSox59
no edit button in lower left takes some getting used to

6 minutes ago, flavum said:

Guardians play 6 home games in the next 100 hours or so. At that point, the three AL Central contenders will have 15 games left, and the math will be real easy. And chances are, we won’t care by Monday afternoon, ha.

That Guardians pen is gonna be pretty damn taxed for that series next week.  In the event that Sox are still within 4 games come Tuesday, there should be some intrigue. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Cleveland has 9 wins over the White Sox this year and 10 wins seals the tiebreaker. The teams have 4 games left. Cleveland has the tiebreaker with 1 win out of those 4 games. 5 games in the loss column is probably too big of a margin to overcome already, but sweeping those 4 might give them a chance. 1 loss to Cleveland makes it dramatically tougher.

Yep, we have to sweep Cleveland to have a chance IMO

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

Guards are throwing RHP Hunter Gaddis on the mound. Dude has had one MLB start this season in which he gave up 8 earned runs in 3 and a third innings. Cleveland must know the Sox are excellent at turning bad minor league pitchers into one-day Cy Young candidates.

Lynn has to bring his A-stuff today. Hopefully the bats explode. Today is a must-win.

Yes it is a must-win! However we all know how our boys play against bad pitchers! We will probably make Gaddis look like a Cy Young candidate today. 

Sometimes you can make up four games in four days, as we did a couple weeks ago.  Sometimes your competitor wins 6 in a row and you can't do anything but lose ground, like this week.  The math is what it is -- you can imagine a thousand hypothetical scenarios, (and can declare that your hypo is definitive if it makes you feel better), but I'm going to take it day by day.  Let's start with cutting the lead to 3 this afternoon.

• Like 3

Actually there is nothing great about the city of Cleveland as Joakim Noah once said.  

Yet what Cleveland does have, is a first place baseball team run by a tremendous owner, front office and field manager.

Check out some of these amazing and yet disgusting facts about the Cleveland team this season:

They have the 27th payroll in MLB baseball with 66 million. 

This team currently has 25 of 28 players on their roster under 30 years old. 

They lead the league in bringing up rookies this season. They brought up 14 rookies from the minors this season.

The Guardians will be the 5th club in MLB history to have a winning record through 120 games while having 14 rookies on their roster. 

Even after taking up the most rookies of any team this year, they haven't depleted their farm system. Before the season started they had a pre-season 12th ranked farm system. Even though they brought up several rookies, they still  kept developing all their young prospects in the minors during the season. With the most recent updated farm system ranking, they now have the #3 ranked farm system. 

Having all this youth and rookies with a such a small payroll is really astounding. The fact they are currently 11 games over 500 and kicking the crap out of the Sox, is a true testament to the fact you need a great owner, front office and manager to be a highly successful winning baseball team. Obviously our arrogant, stubborn and ignorant owner is completely clueless on these facts.

I just don't see this sad state of affairs for the Sox to ever have a chance to be successful like the Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, Mets and Braves, until we get a new owner, or Jerry turns it over to his son like he did with the Bulls. 

I hate the Guardians and as a Sox fan I'm totally pissed and jealous. I can't wait until a new GM and owner run this team. It can't be soon enough!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Ozzie in the post game yesterday was defending Tony as well and saying he did not like how the players seem to be criticizing TLR after he covered for them for 5 months.  It seems like the message has come from on high to talk injuries, injuries, injuries.  Does not bode well for next season imo.

Why should you expect anything different from this organization? I know some fans were saying months ago the Sox were going to use injuries as an excuse.

All teams have injuries, the Dodgers if I remember right, have lost more potential positive WAR to injuries this year to anyone, Tampa had the second most WAR loss in a story I saw last month.

They both are making the playoffs anyway.

The Sox have actually been good at a few things under this ownership...disappoint their fan base, make excuses and blame said fan base (and the media) for their issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually there is nothing great about the city of Cleveland as Joakim Noah once said.  

Yet what Cleveland does have, is a first place baseball team run by a tremendous owner, front office and field manager.

Check out some of these amazing and yet disgusting facts about the Cleveland team this season:

They lead the league in bringing up rookies this season. They brought up 14 rookies from the minors this season.

The Guardians will be the 5th club in MLB history to have a winning record through 120 games while having 14 rookies on their roster. 

Even after taking up the most rookies of any team this year, they haven't depleted their farm system. Before the season started they had a pre-season 12th ranked farm system. Even though they brought up several rookies, they still  kept developing all their young prospects in the minors during the season. With the most recent updated farm system ranking, they now have the #3 ranked farm system. 

Having all this youth and rookies with a such a small payroll is really astounding. The fact they are currently 11 games over 500 and kicking the crap out of the Sox, is a true testament to the fact you need a great owner, front office and manager to be a highly successful winning baseball team. Obviously our arrogant, stubborn and ignorant owner is completely clueless on these facts.

I just don't see this sad state of affairs for the Sox to ever have a chance to be successful like the Dodgers, Yankees, Astros, Mets and Braves, until we get a new owner, or Jerry turns it over to his son like he did with the Bulls. 

I hate the Guardians and as a Sox fan I'm totally pissed and jealous. I can't wait until a new GM and owner run this team. It can't be soon enough!

Yup. 

2 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

As has been widely reported and JR has said himself, he's not selling and has told his family when he dies to sell the Sox and keep the Bulls.

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Yes, bolded facts are true.  Also true:  if the Sox were run like the Guardians Soxtalk would be even more miserable than it is now.  

• Like 1