Luis Robert to the IL

southsider2k5

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This injury was suffered on August 12. The strategy of not putting him on the IL has allowed him to play in 12 of the team's 28 games since then, with a .194 average and a .515 OPS in 38 plate appearances. 

...and for comparison, Leury's had a slash line of .212 / .212 / .212 / .424 over that same timeframe.

(Yes - BA = OBP = SLG. All singles. No walks, no XBH).

Just putting it out there for reference.

30 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This injury was suffered on August 12. The strategy of not putting him on the IL has allowed him to play in 12 of the team's 28 games since then, with a .194 average and a .515 OPS in 38 plate appearances. 

Leury’s like “that guy’s pretty good.”

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

...and for comparison, Leury's had a slash line of .212 / .212 / .212 / .424 over that same timeframe.

(Yes - BA = OBP = SLG. All singles. No walks, no XBH).

Just putting it out there for reference.

Luis had 4 games that were quite good when he first came back, then reaggravated the wrist injury on a swing late in that 4th game. They rushed him back before it was fully healed, got a few good games out of him, then extended the injury for >3 more weeks in order to get those 4 games. 

But we haven't had to put him on the IL. That's super positive. 

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Luis had 4 games that were quite good when he first came back, then reaggravated the wrist injury on a swing late in that 4th game. They rushed him back before it was fully healed, got a few good games out of him, then extended the injury for >3 more weeks in order to get those 4 games. 

But we haven't had to put him on the IL. That's super positive. 

I hate knowing that there's a decent chance someone proposed calling up Oscar Colas, who can play center field, and it likely went something like this.

"Luis' wrist is bugging him. Let's just let him sit and call up our number two prospect who can play defense and provided left handed power."

"Unnecessary."

"Why...?"

"We have Gavin Sheets for left handed power, Leury Garcia for outfield defense, and most importantly, it would start Colas' free agency clock."

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I hate knowing that there's a decent chance someone proposed calling up Oscar Colas, who can play center field, and it likely went something like this.

"Luis' wrist is bugging him. Let's just let him sit and call up our number two prospect who can play defense and provided left handed power."

"Unnecessary."

"Why...?"

"We have Gavin Sheets for left handed power, Leury Garcia for outfield defense, and most importantly, it would start Colas' free agency clock."

Gavin must have fucking heard me type this because he hit his first home run outside of Chicago this year minutes after I posted this.

1 hour ago, reiks12 said:

Its amazing how well the team can elevate the ball when you know who isnt around 

This is the biggest mystery to me.  It's so obvious that the team has been playing with more intensity and fire, and has been having much more fun since TLR left.  No rational person can possibly want TLR back.  But what I don't understand is the home run boost.  Why are we all of a sudden lifting the ball and hitting it out of the park more frequently now?  Does playing loose somehow correlate to getting lift?  I can't figure that one out.

EDIT:  I should add that I know people are saying the contact approach was TLR, but that still doesn't make sense. What was going to happen if they tried to hit more home runs? Would they be benched for not following the orders of hitting for contact?  No chance.  If they were capable of hitting the ball out of the park, why didn't they try it sooner?

Edited by SoxBlanco

23 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is the biggest mystery to me.  It's so obvious that the team has been playing with more intensity and fire, and has been having much more fun since TLR left.  No rational person can possibly want TLR back.  But what I don't understand is the home run boost.  Why are we all of a sudden lifting the ball and hitting it out of the park more frequently now?  Does playing loose somehow correlate to getting lift?  I can't figure that one out.

EDIT:  I should add that I know people are saying the contact approach was TLR, but that still doesn't make sense. What was going to happen if they tried to hit more home runs? Would they be benched for not following the orders of hitting for contact?  No chance.  If they were capable of hitting the ball out of the park, why didn't they try it sooner?

This goes back all the way to last season. The Sox hit 4 homers against the Yankees in the FoD game with Cairo as manager. Tony wasn't there against the Rangers and the Sox scored 8 runs. Before that game they had scored 5 runs in 3 games. Tony's mere presence sucks the life out of the offense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Quin said:

"Unnecessary."

"Why...?"

I get that. Let's not forget he is rakin it in AA not AAA.  How long would it be before we say he's not ready?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Based upon the piece in the Atlantic - some of this would appear was driven by an approach led from the top that minimized the focus on this.  In all fairness - with a more juiced ball the Sox might be crushing homers at a high clip and hitting at a high average, so it might have worked - but they never adjusted this season under TLR (if he really was setting the tone) - but it seems like at this point something different is happening in terms of approach.  

It also is very clear that a different tone has been set.  Really unfortunate this tweak wasn't made at the same time the Phils did it with Girardi - cause it was pretty evident at that point things weren't working - whether it was the Mgr or not - you knew the Mgr certainly wasn't helping. This is not revisitionist history either - as I said the same thing back than.  

• Like 1

• Balta1701 changed the title to Luis Robert to the IL