Luis Robert to the IL

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, Highland said:

Probably hasn't. This whole situation makes me nervous. I remember Carlos Quentin hurting his wrist, sitting out September and not ever being the same again. Robert is too valuable to be messed with.

What Carlos did was far worse than what Luis did.  He was never the same again because he broke his own wrist

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is the biggest mystery to me.  It's so obvious that the team has been playing with more intensity and fire, and has been having much more fun since TLR left.  No rational person can possibly want TLR back.  But what I don't understand is the home run boost.  Why are we all of a sudden lifting the ball and hitting it out of the park more frequently now?  Does playing loose somehow correlate to getting lift?  I can't figure that one out.

EDIT:  I should add that I know people are saying the contact approach was TLR, but that still doesn't make sense. What was going to happen if they tried to hit more home runs? Would they be benched for not following the orders of hitting for contact?  No chance.  If they were capable of hitting the ball out of the park, why didn't they try it sooner?

Yermin Mercedes enters the chat.

Tony approved of this bean ball attempt. Tim Anderson's like "Child Please".

This is the game Tony La Russa lost the clubhouse, and it never recovered until Miguel Cairo took over the ballclub.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is the biggest mystery to me.  It's so obvious that the team has been playing with more intensity and fire, and has been having much more fun since TLR left.  No rational person can possibly want TLR back.  But what I don't understand is the home run boost.  Why are we all of a sudden lifting the ball and hitting it out of the park more frequently now?  Does playing loose somehow correlate to getting lift?  I can't figure that one out.

EDIT:  I should add that I know people are saying the contact approach was TLR, but that still doesn't make sense. What was going to happen if they tried to hit more home runs? Would they be benched for not following the orders of hitting for contact?  No chance.  If they were capable of hitting the ball out of the park, why didn't they try it sooner?

You ever seen the movie Major League, where coach Lou has Willie Mays Hays doing 40 pushups every time he hits a ball in the air?

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Hard to say since we haven’t really been told what he’s been dealing with.

While this is true, he also did come back healthy enough to have 4 strong games before reaggravating the injury, and he hasn't been the same since the 2nd time it happened. Whatever the injury is, it sure seems like an extra few days of rest rather than rushing him back could have potentially had far more positive impacts than those couple of solid performances did, if it eliminated the swing where he re-injured things.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While this is true, he also did come back healthy enough to have 4 strong games before reaggravating the injury, and he hasn't been the same since the 2nd time it happened. Whatever the injury is, it sure seems like an extra few days of rest rather than rushing him back could have potentially had far more positive impacts than those couple of solid performances did, if it eliminated the swing where he re-injured things.

Oh I totally agree he should have been on an IL vacation but also just wanted to point out that our wonderful organization won’t even tell us what’s going on with him.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yermin Mercedes enters the chat.

Tony approved of this bean ball attempt. Tim Anderson's like "Child Please".

This is the game Tony La Russa lost the clubhouse, and it never recovered until Miguel Cairo took over the ballclub.

I am a TLR fan. I like TLR.

I am NOT a TLR defender.

I think you got a bull's eye here, South. Everything went to s%*# after that.

It's been rough ever since then on the TLR haters, but understand, it's been tough on TLR fans, too.

Two words that will make me immediately hang my head in shame from now on: Leury Garcia.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Oh I totally agree he should have been on an IL vacation but also just wanted to point out that our wonderful organization won’t even tell us what’s going on with him.

They were the same way with his "lightheadedness' For weeks they were as confused it seems as the fan base. 

Just now, Lip Man 1 said:

They were the same way with his "lightheadedness' For weeks they were as confused it seems as the fan base. 

At least they put him on the IL for that rather than this ludicrous "active but unable to play most days and clearly not able to perform on the days where he does play".

There is some value in keeping a player with the team and allowing the rehab to take p;lace under the trainers and staff traveling with the team. The IL does not always make sense for a minor injury  like a sprained wrist.  There are good points to be made on both sides but at teh sned of the season, I want Luis on the field for every game possible.

5 minutes ago, tray said:

There is some value in keeping a player with the team and allowing the rehab to take p;lace under the trainers and staff traveling with the team. The IL does not always make sense for a minor injury  like a sprained wrist.  There are good points to be made on both sides but at teh sned of the season, I want Luis on the field for every game possible.

You can stay with the team when you’re on the IL.  TA has been in the dugout for weeks. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tray said:

I have zero interest in Luis Robert being on the field right now, not until this injury is 100% healed. Since he reaggravated that injury he has been physically unable to contribute offensively, and I would believe there is some nonzero risk of making his injury worse given that he already re-injured it once. Engel has not been good offensively either, but he has still been better than Robert over that stretch, and when he swings he has no chance of injuring Robert's wrist.

Regardless of whether Luis Robert can play or not, is active or not, in the next few days this team needs to shut down Pollock for the season before he accumulates another 31 plate appearances and White Sox Ed McMahon (Rick Hahn) hands him another $1M check. Pollock has played the second most games on the team, and as a result will collect $12M - $13M ($14M if he squeezes in 81 more plate appearances). The bench of Leury, Grandal and Pollock will cost the Sox over $37M in 2023, more if the other two players make over the minimum. And you thought Hahn's bullpen budget was ridiculous.

After the acquisition, Parade Boy crowed "Obviously, AJ has the ability to help us in right field." Obvious to who exactly? Pollock entered this season as a 34 year old with exactly one start in RF over his major league career. AJ has a terrible arm and not much range, and as a result started nearly exclusively in LF last season (92 games in LF, 5 in CF) because a competent organization deemed LF as AJ's one acceptable defensive position. LF, the position the Sox already had multiple pretend outfielders lined up to play, and not enough slots to play them. So it wasn't until after AJ's Opening Day 2022 fiasco, a few days after Hahn acquired him after doubling down on the Kimbrel fiasco to kick off "The Offseason of George", the brain trust realized "Hey, AJ has no business in RF. He is barely adequate in LF." This is the norm, not the exception, as to how the Chicago White Sox have been managed the past decade. It is Exhibit 179 of why Hahn also needs to be purged on October 6, 2022.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 3

April: “why are you messing around with Pollock being on the paternity list? He pulled a muscle, put him on the IL, this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.

May: “Vaughn hasn’t played in a week why won’t you put him on the IL, this is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.”

June: “you just gave away a game with only like 2 available pitchers in your bullpen because Hendriks is actually hurt and you tried to deny it. That’s not how elbows work! This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen.”

September: cries.

On 9/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, Balta1701 said:

Seriously, biggest series of the year, Robert isn’t on the IL, but plays 1 game and is 0/5.

Is there something important that happens if he reaches 3 years of service time? Some other reason why they wouldn’t IL him? This is insane he’s useless.

You don't lose service time on  the IL. The only thing that seems logical if you want to stretch the definition of logical, is the team with multiple championship goals is looking to save money by not having to pay minimum guys to take his or the countless others who had this team play short roster spot.

It's been very weird. Even if your system is so bad, someone should be able to come up to pinch run or go into the field if necessary. Maybe even a 3rd catcher just in case. But time after time, the same thing. I think they are trying to save a few bucks.

They use Robert to pinch run which running the bases is how he injured his wrist in the first place.

Edited by Dick Allen

22 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

You don't lose service time on  the IL. The only thing that seems logical if you want to stretch the definition of logical, is the team with multiple championship goals is looking to save money by not having to pay minimum guys to take his or the countless others who had this team play short roster spot.

It's been very weird. Even if your system is so bad, someone should be able to come up to pinch run or go into the field if necessary. Maybe even a 3rd catcher just in case. But time after time, the same thing. I think they are trying to save a few bucks.

They use Robert to pinch run which running the bases is how he injured his wrist in the first place.

Yeah, but all he should have to do is run slowly and slide carefully. Maybe give 60% effort so he doesn’t get more injured.

after all, a fast guy running slowly is still faster than a slow guy running slowly.

simple Sox logic.

• Balta1701 changed the title to Luis Robert to the IL