Twins @ Guardians series 9/16-9/19

DoUEvenShift

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I wonder what Tony's career pct. is managing the Sox.

"Players and coaches alone don't win championships; organizations win championships."

- Jerry Krause

Tony! Toni! Tone!

1. .544 Saint Louis 1408-1182
  2. .542 Oakland 673-542
  3. .515 * Chicago A. L. 691-650 (* 677-643 .513 excluding Miguel Cairo's 2021 (1-1) and 2022 (13-6) managed games).

White Sox (World Series Championships and Pennants)

1. .667 Miguel Cairo
  2. .592 Fielder Jones (1906 World Series)
  3. .581 Clark Griffith (1901 AL Pennant - Pre World Series)
  4. .578 Pants Rowland (1917 World Series)
  5. .565 Marty Marion
  6. .564 Al Lopez (1959 AL Pennant)
  7. .551 Gene Lamont
  8. .529 Paul Richards
  9. .525 Bob Lemon
  10. .524 Ozzie Guillen (2005 World Series)
  11. .521 Eddie Collins
  12. .519 Kid Gleason (1919 World Series)
  13. .515 Jerry Manuel
  14. .515 Jeff Torborg
  15. .513 Billy Sullivan
  16. .513 Tony La Russa (sans Miguel Cairo managed games)

looking for the silver linings ...

5 games in 4 days, no off days. A 15 inning game. The twins for intents and purposes are completely done and maybe we get a half version of them coming up?

Next 9 games we need to go 7-2 with a sweep of cleveland

They need to go 4-5. That puts us 1 back with 6 to go and the tiebreaker. 

If we don't sweep but still go 7-2 against Cle, Det, Min and they go 4-5 against CWS, TB, Tex? (i forgot who they play, think its TX) .... then we are still 1 back, but would need to jump them 2 games in the final 6.... aka in a miracle situation the Royals go 3-3 and we need to go 5-1 against the Padres and Twins. 

• Haha 1

It's possible that the Sox can sweep the Guardians, but I don't see it. The Guardians are playing well, and I don't see them losing three in a row here. Also, the Sox offense tends to shut down at least once during a series. But at least there is meaningful baseball for the Sox in September. Many years that is not the case.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Highland said:

It's possible that the Sox can sweep the Guardians, but I don't see it. The Guardians are playing well, and I don't see them losing three in a row here. Also, the Sox offense tends to shut down at least once during a series. But at least there is meaningful baseball for the Sox in September. Many years that is not the case.

Yep.  Take what you can get.  Odds are still long.  Sox probably have to go 12-3 at worst, including a sweep against Cleveland.  

Sox are gonna take this thing one at a time, as they should.  Let's start with a W tomorrow what is easily the best matchup on paper for us.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wegner said:

I can pretty much guarantee the Twins will play us tough for the 6 games we have left with them.

Of course, that will mean nothing if the Sox do not sweep Cleveland Tuesday through Thursday.

It seems to happen all the time, but maybe it's just because the Sox actually suck, and legitimately can't beat bad teams while Cleveland can, so it appears like bad teams lay down for the Guardians and play hard against the Sox.  Either way, I agree that the Sox won't handle the Twins like the Guardians just did. 

2 hours ago, HoosierSox said:

That Naylor blown game 6 run lead game is now looming large.  Win that game and 2 out of 3 would win the tiebreaker. I shut that game off thinking there was no way they could lose.

And the Engel game. And the Gonzalez dropping Kopech's pickoff throw game.  And the Hendriks can't make a 50 foot throw to first base game.  All in the last few weeks.  A litany of woe.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, Stinky Stanky said:

And the Engel game. And the Gonzalez dropping Kopech's pickoff throw game.  And the Hendriks can't make a 50 foot throw to first base game.  All in the last few weeks.  A litany of woe.

The Naylor game was the first one that I felt like this team was in trouble.

The team had just clawed back above .500, and I thought it was "OK - the team hit some April slumps, but we're back where we need to be now."

...then Naylor came up with the bases loaded.

• Like 1