9/17: Sox at DET, game 2 (5:10c/6:10e)

Eminor3rd

4 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Do you really think starting pitching has been the issue this season? Come on man

There are multiple issues affecting this team.  SP may have not been THE issue, but let’s not pretend we’re loaded with pitching depth.  Imagine if Johnny Cueto wasn’t magically available a week before spring training and didn’t pull off a miracle season.  We’d be fucking toast weeks ago bro.  Stop building rosters that need everything to go right to win.  If a $200M payroll isn’t enough address all major needs and to build a high probability winner in this s%*# division then blow things up and start from scratch.  No more fucking excuses.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There are multiple issues affecting this team.  SP may have not been THE issue, but let’s not pretend we’re loaded with pitching depth.  Imagine if Johnny Cueto wasn’t magically available a week before spring training and didn’t pull off a miracle season.  We’d be fucking toast weeks ago bro.  Stop building rosters that need everything to go right to win.  If a $200M payroll isn’t enough address all major needs and to build a high probability winner in this s%*# division then blow things up and start from scratch.  No more fucking excuses.

Exactly. And I hate to break it to you, a $200M payroll isn't enough to fix this team. I don't think Jerry's budget will be anywhere close to that for next year. 

I'm thinking $175M. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

3/5 of the rotation was injured, bad or both the majority of the season. 

Kopech was blessed by the BABIP/HR gods in April and May. 

Despite all of that they are #6 in the AL (#12 overall) in fWAR for starting pitchers. The rotation hasn’t been the issue this season imo.

• Thanks 1

My thoughts on where they should go from here is the following: 

Let Abreu walk, sign a 5th starter, bring back Andrus, Call up Colas asap. 

Give them until the ASB to get their s%*# together. If they can't stay healthy or do that, start blowing up the team in July by trading Lynn/Anderson/Giolito and then continue dismantling in winter 2023. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Despite injuries, their starting rotation has been above average. That’s not an area I’m looking to add to this offseason outside of cheap depth pieces similar to Cueto and Velazquez like this season.

And this is why Rick Hahn sucks as a GM.  Use current year results as the basis for future performance.  Guys will get older, guys will get hurt, guys will have bad seasons come out of nowhere.  If we enter next year with Martin as our #5 starter and god knows who as our #6 starter then SP will certainly be an issue.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

We can play the what if game all day. What if Kopech and Lynn never got hurt? The bottom line is the starting rotation has been above average (it’s better than Cleveland’s in fact).

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

My thoughts on where they should go from here is the following: 

Let Abreu walk, sign a 5th starter, bring back Andrus, Call up Colas asap. 

Give them until the ASB to get their s%*# together. If they can't stay healthy or do that, start blowing up the team. 

Elvis was a great breath of fresh air for this season and he resurrected his career a bit to get another contract but it shouldn't be here.  He was released by Oakland for a reason, you cannot use your money signing him imo.

• Like 1

Just now, wegner said:

I wonder if they will announce after the game that the offense is done for the season?

Trying to find a way to draw a metaphor to the mishandling of various players' injuries (and the insistence on NOT ILing players until they've played shorthanded a handful of games), but I can't think that fast right now.

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Elvis was a great breath of fresh air for this season and he resurrected his career a bit to get another contract but it shouldn't be here.  He was released by Oakland for a reason, you cannot use your money signing him imo.

They really don't have room in the budget for anything better and there aren't really any decent MI options outside of Correa/Turner and those aren't happening. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, JoeC said:

Trying to find a way to draw a metaphor to the mishandling of various players' injuries (and the insistence on NOT ILing players until they've played shorthanded a handful of games), but I can't think that fast right now.

Take your time... I'll be here til the end of the game....or 8:00 whatever is sooner.