Where these players should start the season in 2023

CentralChamps21

Eloy Jimenez - at DH for the Sox - I've been banging the drum for Eloy to be traded, but he's been on an absolute tear while being almost entirely a DH. He needs to accept the fact that this is what he is and be the best one the AL has seen since a guy wore #35 for the same team.

Jose Abreu/Andrew Vaughn - One of them needs to be the starting 1B for the Sox, the other needs to be playing for some other team. IF the Sox can get a good return for Vaughn AND get someone to take a bad contract with him (I'm looking at Yaz, Kelly and Leury the hardest, but also at Pollock and maybe even Lynn), then make that deal and re-sign Abreu. If not, then keep Vaughn and let Abreu finish his career somewhere else, ideally in the NL.

Yoan Moncada - I really think the combination of COVID, injuries, and a very demotivating manager have held Yoan back. I think in 2023 he's back to at least the Yoan of 2021 if not better. Even if you don't think this his contract makes it impossible to get any value back in a trade, so he needs to be the starting 3B in 2023

Yasmani Grandal - Barring some real weird twist of fate, he's untradeable and is still a serviceable catcher who takes walks and gets some singles, so consider him a sunk cost and make him a platoon with Zavala in 2023.

Tim Anderson - Unless he volunteers to move to 2B, he's the starting SS in 2023 and either way, his option is getting picked up and unless some team is willing to vastly overpay, he shouldn't be traded.

Elvis Andrus - A lot of IFs here. IF the Sox can't acquire a good LH 2B and IF he's willing to learn 2B and IF he's willing to sign a team-friendly contract, then he can be the starting 2B next year. Otherwise, find a new team and thanks for six weeks of fun.

Gavin Sheets/Romy Gonzalez/Jake Burger/Davis Martin - They should be starting at 1B/2B/3B/SP, respectively, for Charlotte. Guys who have had some amount of ML success and have options are at a premium. Don't rush to trade them or put them on the ML roster. You know there will be injures. Better to have these guys to bring up than to have to rely on. If you get an amazing trade offer then of course pull the trigger, but that's not likely.

Oscar Colas - Staring the year in CF for Charlotte, but the first guy up when there's an OF injury. Ideally he gets a year at AAA, a September call-up, and is the OD starter in 2024. That means the Sox made some A+ OF moves in this off-season.

Danny Mendick - Taking over the Leury Garcia role in 2023. Have him playing OF every day in ST to get the reps in. Was hitting really well until Haseley almost killed him.

Leury Garcia - As fucking far away from the Sox as possible. Ideally some team trades for him and pays some of his salary, but if not then DFA his ass. With Danny Mendick, Romy Gonzalez, and Lenyn Sosa in the organization, there is zero excuse for Leury to appear in even one game for the Sox in 2023.

AJ Pollock - if you can't unload his salary, then he's the 4th OF. Very weird that he's better in CF than RF, but whatever. Should not be a starter or really even a platoon starter.

Adam Engel - Non-tender. Thought he had really turned a corner last year but he hit rock bottom this year. Can't justify keeping him on an Arb3 salary

Lucas Giolito - 100% have to tender him. You listen on trade offers but probably aren't going to get any serious ones

Carlos Rodon - do whatever it takes to sign this guy short of giving him an opt out before 3 years. He's been an absolute stud this year. I know this has like a 0.1% chance of happening, but it should. This is the kind of move that can put you over the top.

Michael Kopech - #2 starter. Not trading him for anything less than an absolute haul. He's gonna be an absolute beast the next few years

Joc Pederson/Brandon Nimmo/Andrew Benintendi/Ian Happ - have to sign/trade for at least one of these guys and ideally two. No more playing DH in the OF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Agreed on most all except using AV to dump a bad contract. That would be very bad. Also highly doubt Leury is gone but a new manager would hopefully use him properly. Cairo has. And Gio isn’t getting traded. The rest is spot on. 

edit - Sox aren’t signing Rodon. Time to move on from that one. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Agreed on most all except using AV to dump a bad contract. That would be very bad. Also highly doubt Leury is gone but a new manager would hopefully use him properly. Cairo has. And Gio isn’t getting traded. The rest is spot on. 

edit - Sox aren’t signing Rodon. Time to move on from that one. 

Way, way better shot Rodon signs with the Cubs than the Sox

A few things:  No way they're signing Carlos although surrendering a 1st rd pick to sign a guy they refused to give a QO to would be vintage Sox.

Oscar Colas gets a full year at AAA in his 24 year-old season? Um, no.

Personally, I'm not so sure they keep Mendick.  He turns 29 in like a week.  But otherwise, I agree with most of it. Well thought out.

Good post. When I read something like this I realize Sox pitching kind of blows. ... I think Moncada unfortunately is a bust. I'd do whatever I can to dump him first. Ditto Grandal and Pollock. I think addition by subtraction if team could get rid of Grandal, Pollock and Moncada and start rebuilding from there.

Edited by greg775

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Good post. When I read something like this I realize Sox pitching kind of blows. ... I think Moncada unfortunately is a bust. I'd do whatever I can to dump him first. Ditto Grandal and Pollock. I think addition by subtraction if team could get rid of Grandal, Pollock and Moncada and start rebuilding from there.

I would agree with you but there is a nagging doubt that he could get it together, a bit like many people were saying Eloy was a bust before his strong finish to the season when DHing. As any return for Moncada would be negligible, give him a go at the start of next season because Burger is not really much of an upgrade with the bat and is not an upgrade in the field and there are other glaring holes that need filling before 3B, like OF and 2B.

In general I agree with most of this.

It think the focus needs to be to stop playing guys out of position or in positions they do not field adequately. And I'm looking at Tim Anderson as well. The Sox needs to stop caring what position these guys want to play. That goes for Eloy and for Timmy. Timmy makes too many backbreaking errors at shortstop and it's gone on for far too long. He needs to be moved. 2nd base or maybe even right field.

• Like 1

Bring Elvis back for insurance, but Sosa should really start at 2B. Give him 40-50 games to adjust, and he'll rake the rest of the year.

Sosa is also a solid fielder. One guy who is being sold short is Burger. He really was our best hitter for quite a while even though he

has less than 2 months in the majors. He did fine in the field as well, until that one horrendous game. He's a solid athlete with decent

speed. I'd much rather see him play than Sheets or Pollock. It is also time for Andrew Vaughn at 1B. Jose has been great, but time catches

up to every one.

All this talk of Eloy at DH so reminds me of talk surrounding Frank Thomas circa 30 years ago because, well, Frank wasn't exactly Mark Teixeira over at 1B. The problem is the same because you need the bat and the team needs a happy, productive player. And, yes, we need the bat because Eloy's second half here has been, um, very Frank Thomas-like (except for the walks and eye-popping OBP but Frank is a HOFer for a reason). Like I have stated in other posts... if Eloy wants to play LF, tell him to come to camp in shape and ready to have an MVP season.

The key to this team has always been him and Robert. If they can do what they have done even this year over a 130-140 game span with TA returning to his normal production, the offense is fine regardless of whatever decision you make on Abreu/Vaughn. Move the one that presents the best opportunity to fill a need be it a starting pitcher or a LH bat.

The Sox are stuck with Yoan and AJ. So, just hope for the best and, hopefully, it won't matter as much because the above 3-4 are doing their thing.

Pitching will be the issue but look around... it is everywhere. The Sox have Cease, Lynn, Kopech, and Gio (depending on arbitration). Gio will be playing for a contract so there is that and hoping he will be better but that staff is not horrible. Crochet should be back but probably a lefty out of the bullpen. Still. the bullpen should be solid as long as Lopez and Lambert continue their emergence. Probably need a starter.

The pieces are here. Less drama out of the dugout (read new manager) and a healthier team next year with a couple of shrewd moves should put this team back on track. If not, God help us fans...

7 hours ago, greg775 said:

He has potential to be the most improved player om 2023.

1 hour ago, zisk said:

Bring Elvis back for insurance, but Sosa should really start at 2B. Give him 40-50 games to adjust, and he'll rake the rest of the year.

Sosa is also a solid fielder. One guy who is being sold short is Burger. He really was our best hitter for quite a while even though he

has less than 2 months in the majors. He did fine in the field as well, until that one horrendous game. He's a solid athlete with decent

speed. I'd much rather see him play than Sheets or Pollock. It is also time for Andrew Vaughn at 1B. Jose has been great, but time catches

up to every one.

You realize that if they bring Andrus back he plays 140+ games and probably puts up The low .600s OPS he put up over 20-21, right?

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You realize that if they bring Andrus back he plays 140+ games and probably puts up The low .600s OPS he put up over 20-21, right?

Yeah, but he's a better defender than Leury on the infield. I also said he's an insurance policy. He only plays 140 games if Sosa gets hurt

and Rodriguez isn't ready. Leury is the guy who gets launched into the sun no matter what

10 minutes ago, zisk said:

Yeah, but he's a better defender than Leury on the infield. I also said he's an insurance policy. He only plays 140 games if Sosa gets hurt

and Rodriguez isn't ready. Leury is the guy who gets launched into the sun no matter what

Yeah, because after all the White Sox would never turn their "insurance policy" into an everyday player just because the manager liked his veterany grindyness. 

I still think you gotta look into trading Eloy. We all know he's uncoordinated and injury prone. It's well beyond the bad luck/freak incidences. With being hot this second half, it's probably the highest his trade value has been in the past 2 years. At least 2 of the 4 in Abreu, Vaughn, Sheets, and Jimenez need to be gone. We can't keep playing 3 or 4 1B/DH in the lineup.

• Fire 1

40 minutes ago, zisk said:

Leury isn't going to get launched into the sun, though.  Hopefully he's just the 26th man used for pinch running and 1 start a week around the diamond.  He is fine in that role.  If Tony is gone, he'll be used properly.

Elvis is a dude.  Love him.  But there is no good reason for the Sox to invest $6-8M or whatever it will cost to sign him.  We have several internal options at 2B.  Sox need to be savvy around the edges this offseason because we don't have a ton of $ to spend, but do need an impact LH OF and a 5th starter.  So spending money on a 2B and more relievers shouldn't be happening this offseason.  

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WilliamTell said:

I still think you gotta look into trading Eloy. We all know he's uncoordinated and injury prone. It's well beyond the bad luck/freak incidences. With being hot this second half, it's probably the highest his trade value has been in the past 2 years. At least 2 of the 4 in Abreu, Vaughn, Sheets, and Jimenez need to be gone. We can't keep playing 3 or 4 1B/DH in the lineup.

People gotta stop factoring Sheets into this mix.  He's got an option.  Use it.  Sheets should be nothing more than an insurance policy for 2023, and he has very little to no trade value so you just stash him in AAA until Eloy gets hurt.  Its really just not that hard.

AV is the 1B.  Eloy is the DH.  OF is Pollock-Robert-FA in April, and then Colas-Robert-FA thereafter with Pollock 4th OF.  If the Sox rely on Sheets to be an everyday guy like they did in 22, they're going to be bad again.  

Abreu has to go though. Love him.  Build him a statue.  Retire the number.  But you cannot resign him ---- unless ---- you get a trade offer you cannot refuse on AV.  But I don't think that is happening.  

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Leury isn't going to get launched into the sun, though.  Hopefully he's just the 26th man used for pinch running and 1 start a week around the diamond.  He is fine in that role.  If Tony is gone, he'll be used properly.

Elvis is a dude.  Love him.  But there is no good reason for the Sox to invest $6-8M or whatever it will cost to sign him.  We have several internal options at 2B.  Sox need to be savvy around the edges this offseason because we don't have a ton of $ to spend, but do need an impact LH OF and a 5th starter.  So spending money on a 2B and more relievers shouldn't be happening this offseason.  

Leury is fine in moderation.  If you run him out a couple of times a week in a sub role, and as needed around injuries to MI players, that's fine.  He can't get 500 ABs a year.  200-300?  Fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

People gotta stop factoring Sheets into this mix.  He's got an option.  Use it.  Sheets should be nothing more than an insurance policy for 2023, and he has very little to no trade value so you just stash him in AAA until Eloy gets hurt.  Its really just not that hard.

AV is the 1B.  Eloy is the DH.  OF is Pollock-Robert-FA in April, and then Colas-Robert-FA thereafter with Pollock 4th OF.  If the Sox rely on Sheets to be an everyday guy like they did in 22, they're going to be bad again.  

Abreu has to go though. Love him.  Build him a statue.  Retire the number.  But you cannot resign him ---- unless ---- you get a trade offer you cannot refuse on AV.  But I don't think that is happening.  

Until Gavin Sheets forces himself into the mix, he isn't in the mix.  There are too many already good hitters in front of him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is 100% where I am as well. Sheets could just be Palka 2.0. They HAVE to improve the outfield defense and Robert being healthy is a huge part of that. Pollock should be LF only moving forward even as a 4th outfielder, which kind of limits his usage. LF FA is key to this offseason. 

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is 100% where I am as well. Sheets could just be Palka 2.0. They HAVE to improve the outfield defense and Robert being healthy is a huge part of that. Pollock should be LF only moving forward even as a 4th outfielder, which kind of limits his usage. LF FA is key to this offseason. 

I actually have been sort of impressed with Pollock in CF.  He's at worst serviceable out there.  But yes, we need an everyday OF that hits left handed.  I will repeat it about 500 times until he signs elsewhere, but Nimmo needs to be that guy.  He can play all 3 OF positions and is a perfect addition.  Conforto would be a fine fallback option - he solves alot of issues offensively and will be cheaper - but isn't close to the defender Nimmo is.  

• Like 2