9/21 Sox vs Cleveland

Bob Sacamano

19 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Andrus has been great, but him doing this will make it easy to bring him back and not find a meaningful upgrade (again) at 2B next season.

I'm thinking of 3rd so Yoan can be benched when he starts his Randy Moss mode.

I also think it's cautionary that Andrus could be one of those lightning in a bottle guys spending too much time with the Sox.

21 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think Jerry of all people would know banking playoff revenue, winning the division, etc is *never* a certainty.

You know what? I realized we actually have one more bit of relevant info on this. We have heard a bunch this year from our season ticket holders that this is easily the least they’ve gotten from the team. Fewest activities, fewest special events, fewest contacts from ticket reps. In other words, it seems like the Sox cut their marketing budget.

For this team, that is telling you that they really believed their ticket packages were already sold.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You know what? I realized we actually have one more bit of relevant info on this. We have heard a bunch this year from our season ticket holders that this is easily the least they’ve gotten from the team. Fewest activities, fewest special events, fewest contacts from ticket reps. In other words, it seems like the Sox cut their marketing budget.

For this team, that is telling you that they really believed their ticket packages were already sold.

Nah, it’s just staffing issues.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

They'll blame COVID and "staffing issues" like most large gouging corporations have sold the public over the past three years.

The Sox have the internal numbers in terms of the percentage of fans like @Dick Allen who passed on playoff ticket / 2023 deposits yesterday (the deadline). Not sure when the first 2023 ST installment is due, but the Sox will have a good guestimate at this point based on the percentage participation of the 2022 playoff tickets.

A substantial number of the most expensive tickets and suites are held directly by team sponsors or other businesses which use them for marketing purposes. Those seats aren't at risk. The bulk of the tickets in the lower priced seats are at risk. 

The Sox have also historically relied on substantial walkup game day sales. They also killed a good portion of this revenue by banning cash at ticket booths. Many fans do not have credit cards (28%) and/or smartphones (18%). The team also continues to drift out of sight and mind for the growing number of fans who have cut the cord, with their elimination of over the air games on WGN. 

Jerry and Michael finally took notice after the Bulls ticket sales took a plunge. Perhaps this is the year Jerry takes action, but I have to agree with most reports he is going with Tony one more year (with I believe Kenny and Rick's deals gone) and perhaps making changes after that plays out.

Perhaps one day the Sox will have an OFer as good as rookie Kwan (4.7 bWAR).

Last White Sox outfielder to have a 4.7 + bWAR? Adam Eaton (6.6)

Something to think about next year when fans begin to b**** PECOTA and other projection systems are shortchanging the White Sox, because Robert, Eloy and others are "really 5-6 WAR players".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I put this in another thread.

Does he mean taking a step back and looking at who they are as a team, front office and ownership or does he mean another rebuild? Because I can’t see a rebuild happening.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They'll blame COVID and "staffing issues" like most large gouging corporations have sold the public over the past three years.

The Sox have the internal numbers in terms of the percentage of fans like @Dick Allen who passed on playoff ticket / 2023 deposits yesterday (the deadline). Not sure when the first 2023 ST installment is due, but the Sox will have a good guestimate at this point based on the percentage participation of the 2022 playoff tickets.

A substantial number of the most expensive tickets and suites are held directly by team sponsors or other businesses which use them for marketing purposes. Those seats aren't at risk. The bulk of the tickets in the lower priced seats are at risk. 

The Sox have also historically relied on substantial walkup game day sales. They also killed a good portion of this revenue by banning cash at ticket booths. Many fans do not have credit cards (28%) and/or smartphones (18%). The team also continues to drift out of sight and mind for the growing number of fans who have cut the cord, with their elimination of over the air games on WGN. 

Jerry and Michael finally took notice after the Bulls ticket sales took a plunge. Perhaps this is the year Jerry takes action, but I have to agree with most reports he is going with Tony one more year (with I believe Kenny and Rick's deals gone) and perhaps making changes after that plays out.

If Tony is back, what happens to this team to try and get them to the next level? Now I’m wondering if Abreu walking, targeting the right free agents for the rotation and outfield and a trade with some pieces on the roster to make changes will be enough.

Off topic: Will Benetti be back next year? I think his contract allows him to work for other networks, but I wonder if he likes his Sox gig enough to stay. And I wonder if it ticks Len off at all that he has to do TV when he wants to do radio.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Off topic: Will Benetti be back next year? I think his contract allows him to work for other networks, but I wonder if he likes his Sox gig enough to stay. And I wonder if it ticks Len off at all that he has to do TV when he wants to do radio.

I think Benetti will be back if the white Sox want him to be. Hometown team, helping him make his career start. But the White Sox have let guys like him go before.