DVS drops the hammer...

Lip Man 1

Is anyone even enjoying or really getting satisfaction out of these articles? I guess it’s nice to see different media types on different platforms going in on the Sox, but it’s the same point over and over again, and the same point most of us have been saying forever. 

Nothing changes until new ownership arrives. Until then, we’ll be stuck in the same loop. I know that doesn’t give us much else to talk about, but it’s just the reality of the situation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

The Sox tried to win by constructing a line-up with a lot of power hitters. The offense failed , not because of that strategy, but rather, because the players that were signed up to hit home runs didn't hit enough of them or were out on the IL for numerous games.   You can't blame the Manager or coaches for not having players like Grandal, Pito, Zavala, Eloy, Sheets and Vaughn beat out grounders for singles or go from first to third on a hit. 

That does not necessarily mean that the South Side Hitmen 2.0  strategy was wrong.  If you have 5-6 decent power hitters in a line-up and a few contact hitters,  you can score enough runs to beat teams like Cleveland. I'd try to double down on it next year by adding some bats like Colas and improving the pitching staff with a few arms.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • TLR 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

The Sox tried to win by constructing a line-up with a lot of power hitters. The offense failed , not because of that strategy, but rather, because the players that were signed up to hit home runs didn't hit enough of them or were out on the IL for numerous games.   You can't blame the Manager or coaches for not having players like Grandal, Pito, Zavala, Eloy, Sheets and Vaughn beat out grounders for singles or go from first to third on a hit. 

That does not necessarily mean that the South Side Hitmen 2.0  strategy was wrong.  If you have 5-6 decent power hitters in a line-up and a few contact hitters,  you can score enough runs to beat teams like Cleveland. I'd try to double down on it next year by adding some bats like Colas and improving the pitching staff with a few arms.

They may have had a line-up with power hitters but the tactics and strategy was to not hit for power, and that is where they screwed up. So you can blame the manager and coaches for not using tactics that best suit the players you have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tray said:

Colas is a rookie. Enough said. If that’s their idea of fixing the problem, we got a problem. That said, Andrus and Colas, maybe another pitcher, that’s going to be their plan. Because they are now stuck paying a bunch of dysfunction 

5 hours ago, Tony said:

Is anyone even enjoying or really getting satisfaction out of these articles? I guess it’s nice to see different media types on different platforms going in on the Sox, but it’s the same point over and over again, and the same point most of us have been saying forever. 

Nothing changes until new ownership arrives. Until then, we’ll be stuck in the same loop. I know that doesn’t give us much else to talk about, but it’s just the reality of the situation. 

Yeah, I mean especially stuff like Ryan McGuffey now going off. That's cool, but you also were calling out fans for being too negative as they were bringing up the problems in real time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

They may have had a line-up with power hitters but the tactics and strategy was to not hit for power, and that is where they screwed up. So you can blame the manager and coaches for not using tactics that best suit the players you have.

We lost because Grandal, Moncada, Robert, Gio, and Kelly underperformed expectations.  The numerous IL visits by the entire team was a major factor as well.  I can't think of another team having so many key players underperform.  The coaches, trainers, and manager should be held accountable IMO.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We lost because Grandal, Moncada, Robert, Gio, and Kelly underperformed expectations.  The numerous IL visits by the entire team was a major factor as well.  I can't think of another team having so many key players underperform.  The coaches, trainers, and manager should be held accountable IMO.

Keywords here. We all know what (who) we're dealing with so we all expect minimal change to happen based off previous history. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Yeah, I mean especially stuff like Ryan McGuffey now going off. That's cool, but you also were calling out fans for being too negative as they were bringing up the problems in real time.

Vinnie Duber has sounded so free since going over to CHGO vs. the NBC podcast.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

And another thing I've noticed with how everyone is now coming out with all of these articles blasting the Sox for things we've all seen all year, but where were they to ask these questions or raise these issues when they had the chance all year? 

They've lobbed softball questions all year and just gobbled up the party line, then turn around with this crap at the end of the year when it didn't work out. 

It's so disingenuous and they don't deserve credit for raising the issues now when it's too late.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Excellent point. It was also compounded by the fact that they focused on getting the lumber without worrying about whether they could find a spot for them all in the field. That's what happens when you try to reconstruct a team with a handful of deadline trades rather than commit to a coherent organizational development strategy.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

And another thing I've noticed with how everyone is now coming out with all of these articles blasting the Sox for things we've all seen all year, but where were they to ask these questions or raise these issues when they had the chance all year? 

They've lobbed softball questions all year and just gobbled up the party line, then turn around with this crap at the end of the year when it didn't work out. 

It's so disingenuous and they don't deserve credit for raising the issues now when it's too late.

I feel like it's even worse than that, it's when fans were losing their minds, they'd turn on the fans for being irrationally angry and not capable of seeing it objectively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like it's even worse than that, it's when fans were losing their minds, they'd turn on the fans for being irrationally angry and not capable of seeing it objectively.

Exactly. Speaking of turning on fans, haven't seen Steve Stone's Twitter recently, wonder if he's walked back rhetoric. Doubtful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

54 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

stunning and brave to print these articles now and not you know, in June when it was apparent that the team was basically a .500 outfit.

There it is.  People have been saying these things for quite a while and the silence from the press was deafening.  Excuse me if I am not quite ready to celebrate these guys doing what they should have been doing for the past two years.  Cowards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Again, I say the Sox should double down with the core of power hitters they have and add to it. Remember that the shift will not be permitted next year which will seriously help Grandal, Moncada, and Sheets. Get a RFer and see  if Colas is ready in Spring Training.

Add a starting pitcher or two and rework the bullpen. Not sure I would want to see Hendriks back..

We are not that far off from having a winning team even though it seems like it now.   No need to panic or jump into  the circular firing squad.

Pretend it's 2004 and we are only a few moves away.

I'm fine with the articles, make sure it's repeated over and over, even if they were too chicken s%*# to call it out during the season and turn on fans. 

Shift or no shift makes no difference with WTP. They need to change their approach to hitting, because what they preached this year did not work.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

This organization felt leury Garcia was a must need and Tony played him daily.

Sox record overall: 76-74: .507 (82-win pace)

Sox record with Leury in the starting lineup: 34-42: .447 (72-win pace)

Sox record without Leury in the starting lineup: 42-32: .568 (92-win pace)

Obviously it's "too easy to look at results."

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Lots of players get hurt, all the time. Good teams figured out you have to invest in dealing with that issue about 15 years ago. It’s part free agency, part player development, but it’s an investment that must be made and maintained.

The past three years has been a case study on how to waste money gambling. Every significant move they made, big or small, was a risky proposition — and that’s why they were able to make the moves. Signing famous players as they reached the end of their primes, yes does technically add talent to the team, but when you are unwilling or unable to deal with the downside, you’re just torpedoing yourself.

I've been among many who have been lambasted for being a doomsayer and too negative on this board for the past few offseasons, but I’m telling you, this s%*# looked bad AS it was happening. This does not require the benefit of hindsight. This roster has every appearance of having been assembled by someone who does not understand what they’re doing; it has some measure of flash, no substance. And it happened in an organizations that has built the most impressively nuclear-fallout proof echo chamber of coaching and player development anyone has ever seen.

It’s just, it’s a train wreck. There no other company in America with so much money on the line, that would allow this to continue for so long. It’s total incompetence. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1