Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

David Haugh tweeted that they interviewed Andrus this morning on the radio show and he said he wants to return to the Sox and is willing to play any position.

Even if the Sox wanted to I can't see it happening because the GM felt Garcia was worth a three-year contract for some bizarre reason.

The bizarre reason isn't that bizarre.  It's because Rick Hahn is the worst GM in all of sports.

• Fire 1

I would sign Nimmo to play RF (and also a capable backup in CF)

I would re-sign Andrus if a 1 year deal works with him (play him mostly at 2B, but nice to have a capable backup at SS too, which they did not have before).

Would Conforto be getting a 1 year “prove it” type deal?  He’d be good in LF,  but not sure I’d go multi year at this point.  Backup option could be Joc Pederson.

Nimmo RF

Anderson SS

Robert CF

Jimenez DH

Vaughn 1B

Conforto/Pederson LF

Moncada 3B

Grandal / Zavala (or FA defense first C)

Andrus 2B

Bench: Pollock OF, Romy Gonzalez, Leury, 

Try and trade Sheets in a package with other prospects for a decent 4-5th starter:

Cease, Kopech, Lynn, Giolito, above trade or Davis Martin (could add more impact at deadline if team is good)

Bullpen;  no changes except Crochet returns.

5 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

David Haugh tweeted that they interviewed Andrus this morning on the radio show and he said he wants to return to the Sox and is willing to play any position.

Even if the Sox wanted to I can't see it happening because the GM felt Garcia was worth a three-year contract for some bizarre reason.

Not sure his bat will hold up over a full season, but he is by far the most capable fielding shortstop on the roster. Bounce Tim out to CF, where he's better suited to play in his 30s and your defense would be strong next season (Colas, Anderson, Robert from left to right). Moncada, Andrus, Free Agent, Vaughn/Eloy/ Abreu @ 1B.

Still would work Eloy at first to see if that is something he can do. Not sure Vaughn will work out defensively there. Both are going to need to work hard at it to be at least capable 1B.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure his bat will hold up over a full season, but he is by far the most capable fielding shortstop on the roster. Bounce Tim out to CF, where he's better suited to play in his 30s and your defense would be strong next season (Colas, Anderson, Robert from left to right). Moncada, Andrus, Free Agent, Vaughn/Eloy/ Abreu @ 1B.

Still would work Eloy at first to see if that is something he can do. Not sure Vaughn will work out defensively there. Both are going to need to work hard at it to be at least capable 1B.

I’m not sure how Vaughn will be there, but Eloy would legit die on his first dive at 1B.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure how Vaughn will be there, but Eloy would legit die on his first dive at 1B.

Yes, it's a pipedream, but it would make sense if Eloy had any athletic abilities beyond hitting a baseball.

I guess they will spend 2023 (or 2024/2025) developing Vaughn at 1B depending on Abreu's status.

16 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes, it's a pipedream, but it would make sense if Eloy had any athletic abilities beyond hitting a baseball.

I guess they will spend 2023 (or 2024/2025) developing Vaughn at 1B depending on Abreu's status.

I think we have to accept the fact that Eloy is a DH, but at least a damn good one if healthy.  Obviously he’d far more valuable at a position, but it is what it is at this point.  Just got to hope Vaughn can be solid average there if they decide to part with Abreu.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Question for the board, but who would you pick out of the following:

• OF: Conforto, Gallo, Joc, or Bellinger
  • SP: Clevinger, Manaea, Thor, or Eovaldi

Clevinger and I guess Bellinger. Don't like any of those OF options, though. And they need a catcher too.

• Like 1

In November I’ll probably be remodeling two bathrooms and a bedroom getting my house ready to sell. Turkey is also in the cards.

December I’m sure it’ll be the whole Christmas tree present wrapping family shindig.

January I’ll have a bunch of people celebrating my 40th birthday while I will, surely, be trying to forget how fucking old I’m getting.

February will probably be around the time I start looking forward to warmer weather. Maybe the economic uncertainty of our world will have unraveled more and I will have sold the house.

March I may venture to Arizona for my first spring training since 2005. My son will turn 9. Hopefully his c*** of a mother will actually allow me to be with him this year… and I’m sure by this time I’ll have represented myself in a family law hearing or three.

April will come around and the White Sox will have done some s%*#… and I’ll be happy baseball is starting again.

So there… my 2023 off-season plans. Joy.

• Hawk 1

A couple of days ago I posted the stats for Vaughn and Sheets thru approximately their last 500 ABs. While I realize the comparison is a little unfair to Andrew (he sees a lot of righties and Sheets doesn't face many lefties), the reason I find the stats compelling is not to elevate Gavin but rather to have some basis for evaluating Andrew before we jettison one of the most productive hitters in Sox history.

Now, I really like Andrew but I would also like to see us put the best team out there for 2023 and, to me, what one thinks of this team's chances next year is the challenge to the offseason. If you want to contend in '23, then you keep Abreu and look to offer Andrew up for a piece we need. If you feel '24 is the better option to truly contend and you're willing to risk '23, then you keep Andrew. Either way, bring up Colas, and develop a true plan to compete with pieces that fit and not just acquire bodies. This whole team is dependent on the health of Eloy, Robert, and TA anyway regardless if Yoan bounces back or not. Too far into this plan to think we could get anything better than those three healthy. Honestly, we need some grinders on this team and much fewer free swingers.

Also, don't be so quick to think we should emulate the Guardians. It's funny to me to read all the hand-wringing here about Cleveland and all their rookies, all their team development, while ignoring one big fact - Cleveland has the best position player in the division. Take him out of their lineup for any reason and the wheels could come off Cleveland pretty fast. Cleveland does what it does because it has to. I tip my hat, honestly, but I also feel this team is built around Jose Ramirez. If the Sox want to emulate anything, it should be this. The Sox have the pieces. The Sox needed to do a better job building around those pieces and, yes, put somebody else in charge.

• Thanks 1