Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

56 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I really love this idea! I was never a fan of him moving from 2B to 3B. He should have been forced to work harder at improving his weaknesses at 2B, instead of moving him to 3B and accepting his failures at 2B. We traded one of the best pitchers in baseball in 2016 for Moncada who was the #1 2B prospect.

The only reason he cant play 2B right now is he is too big and slow. He needs to lose some weight and work on increasing his flexibility and quickness which he has never worked on improving. There is no reason Moncada can't play 2B if he loses some weight, and works at it hard in the offseason to master 2B. 

Btw, your comment about whether or not he will be able to handle hard coaching. The fact is, if he can't handle a hard coaching approach, then even more reason to move on and trade him. I pray we get a manager next year who is going to have tough love, demand hard work and effort and make them work on their fundamentals and defense. This what the Sox were missing the last several years and so desperately need in a manager going forward. 

a plus 3B defensively is worth a lot more than a plus 2B.  Not to mention if you look at the White Sox organization, we have potential at 2b,  We don't have a thing at 3B for at least years, if ever.  Yoan is the best 3B we have had in a long time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Orlando making s%*# up again

The F***? 

I would actually believe that "oh they don't want to deal with Giolito" is an internal thing right now, but when did we start talking about "a potential Andrew Vaughn deal" as a thing? 

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't get this logic at all.  In order to get a pitcher with the upside of Gio, you're paying way more than $1/10-11M.  It continues to make zero sense.  Not to mention it just creates 2 holes in the rotation instead of 1.  

If the Sox trade Gio, I have little doubt they'll regret it in short order.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, thankfully this dude doesn't actually know anything.  They better get a haul for that, and their ability to find pitching elsewhere is pretty laughable.

Edited by Tnetennba

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

How is Max Muncy's defense at 2b?  He'd be an ideal offensive fit

He signed an extension with the Dodgers, who also have Trea Turner going to free agency and a large option on Justin Turner I'd expect them to buyout after this year.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

7 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

a plus 3B defensively is worth a lot more than a plus 2B.  Not to mention if you look at the White Sox organization, we have potential at 2b,  We don't have a thing at 3B for at least years, if ever.  Yoan is the best 3B we have had in a long time.

I get he is a good defensive 3B and I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. However he doesn't hit well for a third baseman. Third basemen are usually much better hitters than second baseman and usually hit for more power. We might be able to go after a free agent 3B with power, a lot more easily than finding one at 2B. If Moncada can get his hitting back like in 2019, then finding a strong 3B hitter will make the Sox an even a stronger lineup with Moncada at 2B.

Regardless of whether Yoan stays at 3rd base and he even if he is one of the better third baseman the Sox have had in many years, the fact is, if he can't get into better shape and be more flexible to avoid getting injured so often, then he really isn't helping the Sox.

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I get he is a good defensive 3B and I'm not disagreeing with you on that point. However he doesn't hit well for a third baseman. Third basemen are usually much better hitters than second baseman and usually hit for more power. We might be able to go after a free agent 3B with power, a lot more easily than finding one at 2B. If Moncada can get his hitting back like in 2019, then finding a strong 3B hitter will make the Sox an even a stronger lineup with Moncada at 2B.

Regardless of whether Yoan stays at 3rd base and he even if he is one of the better third baseman the Sox have had in many years, the fact is, if he can't get into better shape and be more flexible to avoid getting injured so often, then he really isn't helping the Sox.

I don’t think “getting into better shape” is Yoan’s issue. 

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Burger already proved that he is not a good defensive 3rd baseman.  I would stick with Yoan next season and hope for an offensive improvement.

16 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

Burger already proved that he is not a good defensive 3rd baseman.  I would stick with Yoan next season and hope for an offensive improvement.

Yea I’d put Yoan around number 6 or 7 on our list of horseshit that needs fixing.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, I’d put him up near the top of the list of things that need fixing. 

1.) Manager

2.) Analytics and Game Prep

3.) Offensive Approach

4.) Player Scouting

5.) Left Field

6.) Right Field

7.) Rotation

8.) Moncada

9.) Second Base

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hi8is said:

1.) Manager

2.) Analytics and Game Prep

3.) Offensive Approach

4.) Player Scouting

5.) Left Field

6.) Right Field

7.) Rotation

8.) Moncada

9.) Second Base

How many of the top 4 also involve Moncada though? Analytics and game prep - why is that on there - because guys like Moncada go to the plate with no approach, so some days they go 5/5 and then the next week they go 0/23. Why is the manager up there? Because guys like Moncada aren't acting like they're motivated and they're clearly not being put in positions to succeed. Why is Offensive Approach up there? If you had to name 2 players to highlight under that as problems, wouldn't they be Moncada and Vaughn? You're calling him out separately, but then he's a top problem for several of the other spots. 

If it matters, I don't believe the rotation being a problem has much to do with him. Although if he was moved and Burger took his spot, that could be a problem for the rotation too.

I keep honing in on the Diamondbacks and if we can pry Marte from them given his large extension and down year.  A buy-lower guy.  I created a WILD trade that sounds fun, and could help fill some holes that works via "trade simulator" but even gives the Sox 13 more points to spend which is a good prospect (though that seems unlikely).

White Sox Trade: Tim Anderson and Leury 29 trade value

Diamondbacks Trade: Ketel Marte, Alek Thomas and Brandon Pfaadt.  16.10 trade value

This frees the sox of Leurys salary, and provides us with 2 starting left handed bats from game 1 and a top SP prospect that could also be ready early in the year.  I love Tim, but his poor defense, injury issues and potential clubs house headache? would make him a potential trade candidate if I were GM.  Plus SS is insanely stacked around the league and we can find someone serviceable elsewhere.  Both D-Backs guys on buy-lower deals and includes a top of the line starting pitching prospect who is already ready for 200 innings. Sounds like a fun idea and seems like a haul despite the trade value tracker not agreeing so (they have Marte has a huge negative value, salary dump guy).

4 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I keep honing in on the Diamondbacks and if we can pry Marte from them given his large extension and down year.  A buy-lower guy.  I created a WILD trade that sounds fun, and could help fill some holes that works via "trade simulator" but even gives the Sox 13 more points to spend which is a good prospect (though that seems unlikely).

Diamondbacks Trade: Ketel Marte, Alek Thomas and Brandon Pfaadt.  16.10 trade value

This frees the sox of Leurys salary, and provides us with 2 starting left handed bats from game 1 and a top SP prospect that could also be ready early in the year.  I love Tim, but his poor defense, injury issues and potential clubs house headache? would make him a potential trade candidate if I were GM.  Plus SS is insanely stacked around the league and we can find someone serviceable elsewhere.  Both D-Backs guys on buy-lower deals and includes a top of the line starting pitching prospect who is already ready for 200 innings. Sounds like a fun idea and seems like a haul despite the trade value tracker not agreeing so (they have Marte has a huge negative value, salary dump guy).

Yeah...this is a trade that isn't going to happen haha

• Hawk 1

31 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I'd love this is the Sox turned around actually signed one of the legit FA SS.  But they won't.  

Struggle to see why Dbacks make this deal tho.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd love this is the Sox turned around actually signed one of the legit FA SS.  But they won't.  

Struggle to see why Dbacks make this deal tho.  

Yeah. Like if they actually made TA available and dealt him for prospects or other MLB ready players in an area of need and then signed Correa, Xander, Dansby, or Turner?