Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

33 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm skeptical but I think it's possible he has a source. 

I give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Why are you listening if you think he's such a fraud? 

I don't put much stock in what he says but I think it's worth sharing with the TIFWIW caveat. 

To be honest, I assume it’s someone from Soxtalk, with you and Mahoney as the primary suspects.  As such, I listened for a few minutes to see if he gave any clues (I can confirm it’s not you by his voice).  Unfortunately, all he did was provide bad opinions and get made fun of for being Orlando.  It was a very painful listen.  His podcast should be riveting though.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be honest, I assume it’s someone from Soxtalk, with you and Mahoney as the primary suspects.  As such, I listened for a few minutes to see if he gave any clues (I can confirm it’s not you by his voice).  Unfortunately, all he did was provide bad opinions and get made fun of for being Orlando.  It was a very painful listen.  His podcast should be riveting though.

I feel like if that guy did have real sources and decided to start a podcast talking about behind the scenes rumors...he's gonna lose those sources real fast. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

51pxzzSiJ7L._AC_SY780_.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't put much stock in what he says but I think it's worth sharing with the TIFWIW caveat. 

200 mil is mostly holding serve, right? They were at 192 last year. They will drop Keuchel and Abreu's salary's, but other salaries will go up, plus a hole or two will need to be filled (from the dollar store as usual I'm sure). That should keep them in the 200 mil neighborhood.

I definitely could see Conforto on a 'prove it' deal. The Sox love deals like that where they gamble on a player who's value is down and hope he performs like his old self.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Why in the world do you believe anything that fraud says?

Probably because they were close to $200 mill in 2021 and Hahn implied they didn’t have much spending room at the end of season presser. Pretty easy information to pretend you have sources on.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hi8is said:

It wouldn’t shock me.

I don't know the person sharing this rumor that has everyone upset, but an $8M increase in payroll after attendance went up doesnt seem like a major stretch. I really hope the manager candidates are clarifying what the front office will be able to spend though. It really is depressing to see the White Sox settling for backups at 2B and RF the last few seasons. They are spending more than enough to win, but the bullpen spending is a disease and Hahn should really be in trouble here.

14 minutes ago, spiderman said:

I don't know the person sharing this rumor that has everyone upset, but an $8M increase in payroll after attendance went up doesnt seem like a major stretch. I really hope the manager candidates are clarifying what the front office will be able to spend though. It really is depressing to see the White Sox settling for backups at 2B and RF the last few seasons. They are spending more than enough to win, but the bullpen spending is a disease and Hahn should really be in trouble here.

I think the really "hot"( 1-2) manager prospects will move on if the FO seems to be "restricted planning /upgrading the roster holes.  But after that, guys will take a job in order to get a seat before all the manager jobs are taken. 

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because no one wants Soxtalk to turn into an echo chamber for frauds and idiots. 

What am I missing on this offseason;

The bullpen is what it is

Colas is the RF 

2B will be filled internally 

Spend some money to replace Cueto 

Hire a manager 

As has been stated previously if there is no improvement with Anderson, Moncada, Vaughan, Grandal and Robert there is nothing that can be done fix the mistakes for those contracts.  

4 hours ago, Sarava said:

200 mil is mostly holding serve, right? They were at 192 last year. They will drop Keuchel and Abreu's salary's, but other salaries will go up, plus a hole or two will need to be filled (from the dollar store as usual I'm sure). That should keep them in the 200 mil neighborhood.

I definitely could see Conforto on a 'prove it' deal. The Sox love deals like that where they gamble on a player who's value is down and hope he performs like his old self.

As of right now, the White Sox have $145.1 million Guaranteed. Using the arbitration projections that just came out, I wound up with them at $168.7 million counting arbitration guys - they can get that down a tiny bit by declining Ruiz and Mendick, but only $300k for each one they decline. Then, to fill out a 26 man roster, there's an extra $5 million to cover the rest of the roster. So, as a starting point, they're probably close to $173.8 million, give or take an arb guy. 

If their number is $200 million, they have $26 million to spend total this offseason. 

6 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Colas is the RF 

Hire a manager 

As has been stated previously if there is no improvement with Anderson, Moncada, Vaughan, Grandal and Robert there is nothing that can be done fix the mistakes for those contracts.  

They need to get another left-handed hitting OF. If you sign a strong defender, I think Colas is your LF and other guy is in RF. Either way works.

Who I want and probably not at all likely: Nimmo

Who I would settle for:  Benintendi

Probable cheap 1 year rebuild value value types the Sox love: Gallo, Conforto

Who they probably end up signing knowing this franchise: Dickerson, Grossman, Gamel, Bradley Jr, Kiermaier, Naquin

Edited by Bob Sacamano

21 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Colas is the RF 

Hire a manager 

I am fine leaving the bullpen as is and just signing some minor league deals.  We have to much money invested and maybe we get a bounce back from one of Kelly or Diekman PLUS we get Crochet back and Bummer more healthy (maybe).   Could be a strong group still

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I am fine leaving the bullpen as is and just signing some minor league deals.  We have to much money invested and maybe we get a bounce back from one of Kelly or Diekman PLUS we get Crochet back and Bummer more healthy (maybe).   Could be a strong group still

I think you sign a strong LH outfield, SP and then roll with the rest and hope for bouncebacks and better health from the core. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I think you sign a strong LH outfield, SP and then roll with the rest and hope for bouncebacks and better health from the core. 

If they have only $25 million to spend, how do you solve the riddle of needing 2 positions but having money for 1?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

If they have only $25 million to spend, how do you solve the riddle of needing 2 positions but having money for 1?

Conforto for 12 million and a backend starter for the rest.  Many names fit here. Clevinger? I am not in the camp of needing to spend 20 million on a SP.  IF we don't get a Giolito/Lynn bounce back, it doesn't matter anyways.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Conforto for 12 million and a backend starter for the rest.  Many names fit here. Clevinger? I am not in the camp of needing to spend 20 million on a SP.  IF we don't get a Giolito/Lynn bounce back, it doesn't matter anyways.

That's one way to do it, just interesting that you first said we need a "strong LH OF" and then allowed Conforto to fit that description. 

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's one way to do it, just interesting that you first said we need a "strong LH OF" and then allowed Conforto to fit that description. 

absolutely. A career .824 OPS and 124 OPS+ which includes his bad 2021.  I get the risk since he missed 2022.  But he was a top 10 RF before the injury.

• Thanks 1