Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

18 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be fair, Leury was more like 50% above market.

Leury's deal definitely felt like the club was looking to spend some good faith money prior to CBA negotiations.  Kind of a shame it wasn't in the form of an Abreu extension.

Teams seemed eager to put a little jingle in some vet's pockets.  A few million burned when billions were at stake seemed more like an investment.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Leury's deal definitely felt like the club was looking to spend some good faith money prior to CBA negotiations.  Kind of a shame it wasn't in the form of an Abreu extension.

Teams seemed eager to put a little jingle in some vet's pockets.  A few million burned when billions were at stake seemed more like an investment.  

How is this even something anyone can type? Honestly?

The White Sox clearly paid way more in 2019 for Abreu than any other team would have, with a 3 year deal. He was worth it, but they paid a ton for him.

This last offseason, they clearly asked him if he was interested in an extension, and he said he wasn't at the time. 

People are on the record about this including one relevant person named Jose Abreu.

“Well, we haven't even started the season,” Abreu said through interpreter Billy Russo during his first Spring Training interview session Wednesday at Camelback Ranch. “Let's see how the season goes, and let's see if we accomplish all the things we want to accomplish.

“I'm pretty sure I'm going to consult with my family, see how I'm feeling, see how they're feeling, and we are going to make a decision afterward. Right now, the focus is just to enjoy this season and have fun.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-focused-on-2022-entering-last-year-of-contract

What should they have done, kidnap his family and threaten to harm them if he didn't sign on for another year?

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

How is this even something anyone can type? Honestly?

The White Sox clearly paid way more in 2019 for Abreu than any other team would have, with a 3 year deal. He was worth it, but they paid a ton for him.

This last offseason, they clearly asked him if he was interested in an extension, and he said he wasn't at the time. 

People are on the record about this including one relevant person named Jose Abreu.

https://www.mlb.com/news/jose-abreu-focused-on-2022-entering-last-year-of-contract

What should they have done, kidnap his family and threaten to harm them if he didn't sign on for another year?

50% of your posts are you trying to dunk on someone when you don't understand their original post.

I'm saying that in the event the Sox were wasting money in good faith prior to the lockout, I wish they would have tried to give it to Abreu.  Not exactly a controversial take.  Is it possible he didn't want to sign an extension?  Yes.  Obviously.  

I also agree Abreu was overpaid in '19.  I was strongly against that signing.  Turns out I was very wrong but this was definitely not a pro-Abreu post.  It was a "if we were going to burn money on a veteran, I wouldn't have chosen Leury".  

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Some Benintendi talk happening in the manager thread right now, so I figured we should bring it over here.

How would everyone feel if he was our outfield acquisition this offseason?

I would obviously prefer Nimmo, but he seems more of a long shot.  Given our recent history of doing nothing, I think I would be satisfied with Benintendi.

Would you guys prefer Benintendi or Conforto, if you had a choice between those two? 

6 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Some Benintendi talk happening in the manager thread right now, so I figured we should bring it over here.

I would obviously prefer Nimmo, but he seems more of a long shot.  Given our recent history of doing nothing, I think I would be satisfied with Benintendi.

Would you guys prefer Benintendi or Conforto, if you had a choice between those two? 

I'd prefer Conforto on a rebound deal.  Benintendi might be cheaper and wouldn't be a bad get, but he's really not a RF.

36 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Conforto. If we're adding to the outfield, we need a guy that can go to right field.

• Like 1

Has anyone seen a contract projection for Benintendi? Or for that matter for Conforto? I haven't even seen a confirmed statement that "yes Michael Conforto will play baseball again", let alone that he has an arm capable of throwing from RF after that shoulder injury.

I am now thinking that OF prices may jump a lot more than we think this year, given the teams that need outfield help.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

Conforto by quite a bit.  Far far higher ceiling 

37 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Has anyone seen a contract projection for Benintendi? Or for that matter for Conforto? I haven't even seen a confirmed statement that "yes Michael Conforto will play baseball again", let alone that he has an arm capable of throwing from RF after that shoulder injury.

I am now thinking that OF prices may jump a lot more than we think this year, given the teams that need outfield help.

One of the guys in an MLBTR chat predicted 4/$54 or 56 mill for Benintendi. Can't remember the exact amount but also not worth much as it's just a guess.

17 minutes ago, Saufley said:

Can he be optioned to the minors? Maybe that would change his attitude.

My brother has a coworker who used to "date" Moncada, and Moncada is apparently almost always drunk at home and incredibly lazy (no the shocking part) according to her.. 

It just seems like he doesn't care.. cashing in the checks.

I look at Nimmo and I see that gaudy 5.4 WAR, but then the raw numbers suggest he's basically an OBP guy.  $25 is quite the price for an OBP type hitter.  Now, I realize that OBP guys are in short supply (nonexistent) on the South Side,  so maybe we should just pay-up for one.  But we're also a place where OBP goes to die.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I look at Nimmo and I see that gaudy 5.4 WAR, but then the raw numbers suggest he's basically an OBP guy.  $25 is quite the price for an OBP type hitter.  Now, I realize that OBP guys are in short supply (nonexistent) on the South Side,  so maybe we should just pay-up for one.  But we're also a place where OBP goes to die.

If the White Sox had the funds available I would totally get that price, we need that production desperately. But yeah, we're in such obviously tight straits that it's hard to see it being worth it to outbid the Yankees, Dodgers, Giants, Mets for that guy, not when we also need pitching and have so little depth around the roster. 

4 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Conforto by quite a bit.  Far far higher ceiling 

Why not both?(if money is no object)  they need more left handed bats and Pollock is the short side of a platoon these days. Pollock can spell both players in bad matchups.  Would also give them the luxury of letting Colas prove he's absolutely ready. Colas can also play all 3 OF positions. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why not both?(if money is no object)  they need more left handed bats and Pollock is the short side of a platoon these days. Pollock can spell both players in bad matchups.  Would also give them the luxury of letting Colas prove he's absolutely ready. Colas can also play all 3 OF positions. 

Money is clearly going to be an object for this team. What they are able to get in under their limit I don't know, but they have only $20 million or so beneath last year's total payroll.