Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think there's a realistic 2B option. They need a SP though. 

I think quite clearly they have to go with Romy and Lenyn as their main 2b options, and if it were me I would be also giving Mendick an arb-1 offer if he's expected to be healthy enough to play as he was a decent enough option last year. It may not work, it would be nice to find someone better there, but they have warm bodies in their middle IF already and if they want to compete without going over the luxury tax they're going to have to rely on them.

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I think quite clearly they have to go with Romy and Lenyn as their main 2b options, and if it were me I would be also giving Mendick an arb-1 offer if he's expected to be healthy enough to play as he was a decent enough option last year. It may not work, it would be nice to find someone better there, but they have warm bodies in their middle IF already and if they want to compete without going over the luxury tax they're going to have to rely on them.

I’d have no issues giving Lenyn first shot at it. I think he’s definitely capable of holding it down  versus bringing in yet again another washed up veteran 

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't think there's a realistic 2B option. They need a SP though. 

They've got 4 minimum salary guys they can play at 2b. All are reasonably well regarded in the minors.  Plenty of good teams let young players play even if they struggle some.  The Astros do it, the Phillies do it, and the Sox...sign Josh Harrison to get that proven production.
2B is really down on the list of trouble spots (catcher, OF, SP, e.g.)

Edited by GreenSox
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

They've got 4 minimum salary guys they can play at 2b. All are reasonably well regarded in the minors.  Plenty of good teams let young players play even if they struggle some.  The Astros do it, the Phillies do it, and the Sox...sign Josh Harrison to get that proven production.
2B is really down on the list of trouble spots (catcher, OF, SP, e.g.)

They got .256/.317/.370 with 7 HR's and 27 RBI's out of Harrison through 119 games. If they can't get that level of production our of some combo of Mendick/Sosa/Gonzalez - I'd be shocked. Especially if they are going to use a more analytical approach, realistically they should be able to match that production with those guys out of the bottom of the order.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

They got .256/.317/.370 with 7 HR's and 27 RBI's out of Harrison through 119 games. If they can't get that level of production our of some combo of Mendick/Sosa/Gonzalez - I'd be shocked. Especially if they are going to use a more analytical approach, realistically they should be able to match that production with those guys out of the bottom of the order.

Yeah and for league minimum at that. 

19 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Then they have to trade Vaughn. It makes zero sense to have both on this roster. Utilize his value to fill another hole.

Only thing you could do is try to unload Grandal (which requires eating cash or taking on ...probably a trash pitcher I'd guess) 

That really opens up the C position for Omar Narvaez! Now a good defensive catcher, his offense has fallen off.

It looks like he may have hit a real wall as he ages into year 30, making him attractive to Hahn.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bmags said:

Only thing you could do is try to unload Grandal (which requires eating cash or taking on ...probably a trash pitcher I'd guess) 

That really opens up the C position for Omar Narvaez! Now a good defensive catcher, his offense has fallen off.

It looks like he may have hit a real wall as he ages into year 30, making him attractive to Hahn.

He had the Sox attached to Contreras and Rodon (as well as Conforto) in his article yesterday 

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

He had the Sox attached to Contreras and Rodon (as well as Conforto) in his article yesterday 

LOL. I love how different the white sox is in national writers heads vs. fans. We are more correct with zero info.

• Like 2

It's gonna be Colas in RF and Romy/Lenyn at 2B and I'm kind of fine with that because it's better than what we had and has a chance to be legit good. I also wouldn't mind a flyer on Conforto. Would love Contreras or Rodon, but I highly doubt both of them. You'd need to offload Yaz somehow for sure for Contreras.

8 minutes ago, almagest said:

It's gonna be Colas in RF and Romy/Lenyn at 2B and I'm kind of fine with that because it's better than what we had and has a chance to be legit good. I also wouldn't mind a flyer on Conforto. Would love Contreras or Rodon, but I highly doubt both of them. You'd need to offload Yaz somehow for sure for Contreras.

Yaz may be cooked physically, but offers one of the few potential high obp, lhp potential on the roster. It's something they need to actually figure out, but it's one of the reasons you can't trust this FO because they looked at Carlos Rodon and determined he was done and he basically could have won the cy young and will get buku bucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

LOL. I love how different the white sox is in national writers heads vs. fans. We are more correct with zero info.

All the guys he named sound like pipe dreams outside of Conforto. And that's only because he's coming off an injury and nobody knows how good he'll actually be. 

2 minutes ago, Springfield Soxfan said:

Preparing for the pounding that will ensue; however, I am DREAMING of Trea Turner to play 2b.  Was hoping Sox would have drafted him over Rodon.  

Keep dreaming. Turner is gonna get a $250 million contract and that's something Jerry will never give out. 

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

What is the status on Conforto? With the season fully wrapping up this weekend, I would expect to start seeing off-season fluff pieces on free agents next week.

There don't seem to be any pieces at all regarding his injury, but the insiders and free agent rankers are starting to come out and they seem to think he's available.

Here's Keith Law over at the Athletic, Conforto comes in 49th out of 50 free agents.

https://theathletic.com/3751518/2022/11/02/top-50-mlb-free-agents-predictions/

Here is an article today projecting contract terms and they have Conforto as 1 year, $14 million (they have Nimmo at 7/$145 by the way)

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/11/mlb-insider-reveals-projected-contract-terms-for-top-yankees-mets-free-agents-aaron-judge-jacob-degrom-more.html

Here's a top 30 by Heyman at the New York post, including contract estimates. He also has Conforto estimated at 1 year, $14 million. Also no suggestion that his injury will prevent him from signing. 

https://nypost.com/2022/11/03/major-league-baseball-ranking-top-30-free-agents/

Same numbers for Nimmo, 7/$145, and has Benintendi at 4 years, $56 million.

• Thanks 1