Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Things being missed:

The minimum salary is $720,000, not $700,000. This totals an extra $1.2 million for the players listed.

Only 24 players are included. This is an extra $1.44 million not being counted, although that can be shifted to other guys if someone is signed. 

$1 million in deferred money to Abreu.

$197 million is the payroll last year - if you are counting things like Moncada's signing bonus, Pollock's signing bonus as part of last year's salary. Or, alternatively, it looks that high if you count guys like Romy as receiving a full year's salary, when they only receive a portion of the years' salary. If you total up everyone that they spent big league money on, it comes out around $190 million without the signing bonuses. 

20k X 6 is 120k, not 1.2m

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am sure Balta will tell you his numbers are better, but I have it more like $168.8M at the moment, not including signing bonuses spread across multiple years, a differed $1M due to Abreu, etc.  True salary is $168.8M.  I also believe Sox final 2022 payroll was $197M.

Guaranteed

• Lynn - $18.5M
  • Grandal - $18.25M
  • Moncada - $17M
  • Hendriks - $14M
  • Pollock - $13M (player option with $5M buyout)
  • Anderson - $12.5M (team option)
  • Jimenez - $9.5M
  • Robert - $9.5M
  • Kelly - $9M
  • Graveman - $8M
  • Garcia - $5.5M
  • Bummer - $3.75M
  • Diekman - $3.5M

*This assumes White Sox turn down Harrison's $5.5M team option*

*Other impending FA's include Abreu, Cueto, Valasquez, and Andrus*

TOTAL GUARANTEED = $142M

Arbitration Eligible *updated based on MLBTR projections*

• Cease (arb 1) - $5.3M
  • Kopech (arb 1) - $2.2M
  • Mendick (arb 1) - $1M
  • Giolito (arb 3) - $10.8M
  • Lopez (arb 3) - $3.3M
  • Engel (arb 3) - NON TENDER (MLBTR projection of $2.3M)
  • Ruiz (arb 1) - NON TENDER (MLBTR projection of $1M)
  • Crochet (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Gonzalez (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Lambert (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Sheets (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Vaughn (pre-arb) - $700k
  • Zavala (pre-arb) - $700k

TOTAL ARB = $26.8M; TOTAL PAYROLL = $168.8M

The White Sox 2022 payroll was ~$197M, so this gives the Sox around $30M to spend to match 2022 payroll

Thanks for doing this.  It was really helpful for me to see.  It makes me think buying out Pollock at 5M is a no-brainer.  Save another 8?

6 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Thanks for doing this.  It was really helpful for me to see.  It makes me think buying out Pollock at 5M is a no-brainer.  Save another 8?

AJ Pollock has a player option for $13 million, not a team option. He would have to decline it, the team does not get to choose this. If he declines it, he gets $5 million. As he is unlikely to make more than $8 million on the free agent market, he seems likely to pick it up unless he is ready to retire or really wants out of Chicago.

I'll just post this here. It's from my post "The White Sox Cannot Be Fixed By Next Season" 

Let me jump back in my own topic to break it down a bit further.

CAN'T STAY HEALTHY

Batters

• C - Grandal
  • SS - Anderson
  • 3B - Moncada
  • CF - Robert
  • LF/DH - Jimenez
  • Burger (AAA/Majors)
  • Mendick 

Pitchers

• SP - Kopech
  • SP - Lynn
  • RP - Bummer
  • RP - Foster
  • RP - Velasquez
  • RP - Kelly

APPEARED ON IL IN 2022 

• LF/CF - Pollock
  • LF/RF/1B/DH Vaughn
  • CF - Engel
  • RP - Hendriks

CAN'T HIT LEFT HANDED (or hit RIGHT HANDERS)

• Moncada
  • Grandal
  • Pollock
  • Most of the rest of the right handers

CAN'T FIELD

• Vaughn (OF)
  • Sheets (OF)
  • Jimenez (Anywhere)
  • Anderson (SS)
  • Grandal (C) -- can't hold baserunners
  • Zavala (C) -- is he better this year?  He was bad last year.

HAS AN ALBATROSS CONTRACT

• 3B - Moncada
  • C - Grandal (for 2023)
  • LF - Pollock (player option)
  • Util - Garcia

IS BELOW LEAGUE AVERAGE

• SP - Giolito
  • SP/RP - Velasquez
  • RP - Ruiz
  • RP - Kelly
  • RP - Diekman
  • 2B - Harrison
  • LF - Pollock
  • 3B - Moncada
  • C - Grandal
  • CF - Engel
  • 2B - Gonzalez
  • Util - Garcia

The ONLY players who are above league average and who play every time they are called on are:

• Jose Abreu, who is a free agent
  • Dylan Cease
  • Johnny Cueto, who is also a free agent
  • Davis Martin (barely above with 106 ERA+)
  • Kendall Graveman
  • Reynaldo Lopez
  • Jimmy Lambert

Not sure you can build your team around 7 guys, 2 of whom are free agents.  

Edited by VAfan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, VAfan said:

I'll just post this here. It's from my post "The White Sox Cannot Be Fixed By Next Season" 

Let me jump back in my own topic to break it down a bit further.

CAN'T STAY HEALTHY

Batters

• C - Grandal
  • SS - Anderson
  • 3B - Moncada
  • CF - Robert
  • LF/DH - Jimenez
  • Burger (AAA/Majors)
  • Mendick 

Pitchers

• SP - Kopech
  • SP - Lynn
  • RP - Bummer
  • RP - Foster
  • RP - Velasquez
  • RP - Kelly

APPEARED ON IL IN 2022 

• LF/CF - Pollock
  • LF/RF/1B/DH Vaughn
  • CF - Engel
  • RP - Hendriks

CAN'T HIT LEFT HANDED (or hit RIGHT HANDERS)

• Moncada
  • Grandal
  • Pollock
  • Most of the rest of the right handers

CAN'T FIELD

• Vaughn (OF)
  • Sheets (OF)
  • Jimenez (Anywhere)
  • Anderson (SS)
  • Grandal (C) -- can't hold baserunners
  • Zavala (C) -- is he better this year?  He was bad last year.

HAS AN ALBATROSS CONTRACT

• 3B - Moncada
  • C - Grandal (for 2023)
  • LF - Pollock (player option)
  • Util - Garcia

IS BELOW LEAGUE AVERAGE

• SP - Giolito
  • SP/RP - Velasquez
  • RP - Ruiz
  • RP - Kelly
  • RP - Diekman
  • 2B - Harrison
  • LF - Pollock
  • 3B - Moncada
  • C - Grandal
  • CF - Engel
  • 2B - Gonzalez
  • Util - Garcia

The ONLY players who are above league average and who play every time they are called on are:

• Jose Abreu, who is a free agent
  • Dylan Cease
  • Johnny Cueto, who is also a free agent
  • Davis Martin (barely above with 106 ERA+)
  • Kendall Graveman
  • Reynaldo Lopez
  • Jimmy Lambert

Not sure you can build your team around 7 guys, 2 of whom are free agents.  

While there is some merit to each of these points, it’s not as dire of a situation as you’re presenting.  Here’s what needs to happen this offseason to make the Sox a playoff team in 2023:

1. Hire a manager who will demand a strong effort every day and who will not adhere to outdated, old-school baseball tendencies - COMPLETE
  2. Hire a hitting coach who will install a hitting philosophy centered around power & OBP and not just contact - COMPLETE
  3. Continue to modernize the training and strength & conditions staffs - SOUNDS LIKE THERE ARE PLANS FOR THIS BASED ON WHAT HAHN WAS WHISPERING TO GRIFOL DURING PRESS CONFERENCE
  4. Develop & execute off-seasoning training plans for all players - CAN ACTUALLY HAPPEN NOW WITHOUT LOCKOUT & WILL HAPPEN PER GRIFOL
  5. Stop playing 1B/DH types in the OF - HAHN CONFIRMED WILL HAPPEN
  6. Improve the lineup’s balance with LH hitters who can hit quality RHP - TBD
  7. Add a legit SP to the major rotation and find some pitching depth for AAA - TBD

Of the seven off-season priorities, two are complete and three more appear to be happening.  For the first time in forever, I actually feel like what’s needed to get the most out of this existing roster will be in place.  The big questions are will Jerry spend the money to fill our remaining holes with quality options and is Hahn actually capable of identifying & procuring the right talent.  Both of those remain to the he seen and are reasons for pessimism given their track records. But that being said, I think we’re going to see much better performance out of the guys we already have.  The negative impact that Tony had on our team last year can not be understated.

• Like 1

Start Colas and Sosa to start the season and sign a vet SP that can throw 150+ innings of ERA not much above 4 or better.

Explore any and all trade options for Grandal/Pollack/Moncada

Easier said than done…but figure out 1 last move to put the team over the top- a LH hitter with pop that can fill a corner OF spot with at least above average D.

Easy option is sign Nimmo, but we all know how that will likely go.

Conforto is probably worth the gamble, but is a risk and no guarantee in we can sign him. 

Trade options are few and far between, but have to explore all options including trading guys like Crochet, Burger, Ramos and Cespedes. Not saying those guys will net us a star, but some combo should get a quality starter. 

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why not just keep Josh Harrison at that point?  Either go young or do something big like Vaughn+ for Jazz.

Uggh, can't we set our sights a tad higher than Josh? I'd love Jazz, but I doubt Vaughn has a lot of value right now.

Edited by Sarava

We have a comfort level with Elvis that does not involve Josh plus there are a number of other infield candidates not named Leury. Spots taken by Engel and Josh need to be  upgraded by legit MLB talent esp if two spots are going to Leury and Sheets not to mention old grandad. They might have room for three new faces and they better be good. 

Just now, pcq said:

We have a comfort level with Elvis that does not involve Josh plus there are a number of other infield candidates not named Leury. Spots taken by Engel and Josh need to be  upgraded by legit MLB talent esp if two spots are going to Leury and Sheets not to mention old grandad. They might have room for three new faces and they better be good. 

Elvis Andrus is very likely to be a downgrade from Josh Harrison if he were to be kept.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Elvis Andrus is very likely to be a downgrade from Josh Harrison if he were to be kept.

We better be careful with Harrison. I think people are assuming because he was better in the 2nd half, that he will be fine next year. He turns 36 midseason next year.

3 minutes ago, Sarava said:

We better be careful with Harrison. I think people are assuming because he was better in the 2nd half, that he will be fine next year. He turns 36 midseason next year.

I think people need to be more careful with Andrus. He was amazing for the White Sox and there’s nothing in his profile that suggests he will ever have another 2 month stretch like that, let alone a full season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think people need to be more careful with Andrus. He was amazing for the White Sox and there’s nothing in his profile that suggests he will ever have another 2 month stretch like that, let alone a full season.

I don't disagree, but Harrison isn't the answer here IMO.

16 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I don't disagree, but Harrison isn't the answer here IMO.

Oh I totally agree. That’s the one position where we have enough depth to say heck with it, go with what we have.

It would be nice to have enough money to go for Turner there, but it’s just not practical. There’s a good chance we get enough from some combination of kids, and if we don’t, that is unlikely to make or break the season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why not just keep Josh Harrison at that point?  Either go young or do something big like Vaughn+ for Jazz.

People can't ever seem to separate what someone might think the Sox WILL do, and what they think the Sox SHOULD do...two very different things.

They have a hole at 2B, the new manager and hitting coach are coming from the Royals, and Merrifield has traditionally killed the Sox. The Sox have had an illustrious history of grabbing players past their prime that gave them fits 4 years ago. 

I don't think it's a stretch. I didn't say I would endorse it. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Gleyber Torres could be available and if the rumor is true, would be someone the Sox should consider trading for.

A quick check says that Torres has an arbitration projection of $9.8 million next year. If there is not a substantial payroll boost, that leaves you $12 million to spend the rest of the offseason to cover OF and Pitching.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

People can't ever seem to separate what someone might think the Sox WILL do, and what they think the Sox SHOULD do...two very different things.

They have a hole at 2B, the new manager and hitting coach are coming from the Royals, and Merrifield has traditionally killed the Sox. The Sox have had an illustrious history of grabbing players past their prime that gave them fits 4 years ago. 

I don't think it's a stretch. I didn't say I would endorse it. 

As bad as Rick Hahn is, I can’t see that happening, although the Royals angle does add some possibility to it.