Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

4 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

To be honest, they need changes but I don't think they need to make whole sale changes.  It's somewhere in the middle.  A retool that is a notch below the 2005 one.  I really do think this new coaching staff can do a lot to help guys like Moncada, Vaughn, and even Grandal.  Get a starting pitcher, a left handed corner outfielder (Conforto would be excellent), and new 2nd Baseman.  

Your talking about the off-season going into 05 or following the championship?

2 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Well they are the White Sox. I wouldn’t expect anything spectacular from this FO 

I was just looking over some non FAs and this is what I could come up with

Alex Verdugo
Bryan Reynolds - would require Vaughn + Montgomery to get
Anthony Santander - O's no longer rebuilding, I don't think they'll trade him
Ketel Marte - just signed a long-term contract and underperformed. He tends to be inconsistent season to season, but the potential is obviously there. 
Ramon Laureano - Had a bad 2022, probably won't cost as much to get as he did last year.
Ian Happ - I'm sure Rick tried at the trade deadline, but the Cubs were asking for too much. 

Just now, chw42 said:

I was just looking over some non FAs and this is what I could come up with

Alex Verdugo
Bryan Reynolds - would require Vaughn + Montgomery to get
Anthony Santander - O's no longer rebuilding, I don't think they'll trade him
Ketel Marte - just signed a long-term contract and underperformed. He tends to be inconsistent season to season, but the potential is obviously there. 
Ramon Laureano - Had a bad 2022, probably won't cost as much to get as he did last year.
Ian Happ - I'm sure Rick tried at the trade deadline, but the Cubs were asking for too much. 

Bellinger? I’m sure the Sox will try and kick the tires on him…

Think the Brewers might take a trade offer for Yelich? 

Both of those scream White Sox moves 

6 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Bellinger? I’m sure the Sox will try and kick the tires on him…

Think the Brewers might take a trade offer for Yelich? 

Both of those scream White Sox moves 

Bellinger might be a FA. Yelich's contract is untradeable unless he goes back to MVP form. 

7 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Just seems Whitesoxy to try and acquire someone whose been down and say see see we are bringing in a former MVP all he needs is a change of scenery 

Yeah, but I don't think this version of the Sox is in "eat money" mode. 

I actually wouldn't hate Merrifield. I think he'd be reasonably priced given he's begun to decline, but he's still a solid player. I like Colas but I think it's silly to expect him to ready to stick full-time, so an option where you hedge against him not being ready but can easily adjust if he is ready, I think, makes some sense.

I'd like them to aim higher too, but with all of the best trade chips as pieces of the current roster and without much money to spend, I think he have to resign ourselves to the fact that the core players need to look like stars again for us to get the bulk of the production we're going to need to see. In that scenario, high-floor complementary pieces can be good targets. I continue to believe that average-above average depth is underrated, particularly by the White Sox.

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

This sounds nice, but it is a fantasy.   The Sox had 1 hitter -- ONE -- Jose Abreu -- who was above average and showed up the whole year. And he's gone.  

Most of the key players are injury prone, can't field, and can't hit right handed pitching. Coaching cannot fix that. 

Of the offensive core -- Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Grandal, Vaughn -- only Andrew Vaughn made it to 500 ABs.  Grandal hit the same as Adam Engel and worse than Adam Hasely.  Moncada had a .273 OBP and a .353 slugging percentage. They are the second and third highest paid players on the team (behind Lynn), costing more than $35 million between then, and Moncada is due to earn almost $25M himself in 2024.

The only good hitter on the team is Jimenez (with Abreu gone). He played 55 games last year, and 84 this year.  Luis Robert, the superstar, has played 68 and 98 games the last 2 years.  He barely exceeded league average as a hitter this year. 

You are looking at what these players were in the short season of 2020 and thinking they can magically return there. They cannot. 

The Sox would be better off dumping the lot of them and starting over, while they still have trade value.  

I must admit I enjoy watching you turn full heal on this organization after years & years of unwarranted optimism.  That being said, I still don’t agree with your outlook.  I think there is reason for hope even if a turnaround is far from certain.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

This sounds nice, but it is a fantasy.   The Sox had 1 hitter -- ONE -- Jose Abreu -- who was above average and showed up the whole year. And he's gone.  

Most of the key players are injury prone, can't field, and can't hit right handed pitching. Coaching cannot fix that. 

Of the offensive core -- Robert, Anderson, Moncada, Jimenez, Grandal, Vaughn -- only Andrew Vaughn made it to 500 ABs.  Grandal hit the same as Adam Engel and worse than Adam Hasely.  Moncada had a .273 OBP and a .353 slugging percentage. They are the second and third highest paid players on the team (behind Lynn), costing more than $35 million between then, and Moncada is due to earn almost $25M himself in 2024.

The only good hitter on the team is Jimenez (with Abreu gone). He played 55 games last year, and 84 this year.  Luis Robert, the superstar, has played 68 and 98 games the last 2 years.  He barely exceeded league average as a hitter this year. 

You are looking at what these players were in the short season of 2020 and thinking they can magically return there. They cannot. 

The Sox would be better off dumping the lot of them and starting over, while they still have trade value.  

Huge mistake to trade Robert or Jimenez, both can put it together. Vaughn I’m fine with staying or sending him out depending on what you can get for ….Moncada if you can unload him at this point would be my play if I’m the Sox. No one is taking on Grandal with his contract. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Good Guys said:

What would a Bellinger trade cost?  Liam Hendriks?  At least it would be a buy low move and he could play CF.  Other free agents that seem interesting are Pederson, Profar, and Drury.

Bellinger will almost certainly be a free agent. His arbitration number if the Dodgers offered it would be like $20 million. He’s not worth that, that money makes up the bulk of either Nimmo or Judge’s contract for 2023. They will likely non tender him and he will be available for much less than that dollar amount.