Your 2023 Off-Season Plan

ChiSox59

6 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Much talk is brought on to RF, 2B and a bottom of rotation SP - and rightfully so. But what about catcher? I know they're stuck paying Grandal 18.5 mil, but that doesn't mean you have to let him tank the position for the Sox for another season. His salary is a sunk cost whether you depend on him or not,

What if Willson Contreras' market proves to be a bit flat and he could be had in the 3YR/50 mil range? We might actually throw out would-be base stealers for a change. While he does hit lefties better, he is solid against RHP's.

You can fill 2B with the young guys - Sosa/Gonzalez. We probably already know the SP they bring in will be one of the buy low guys - which did work last year with Cueto. So you could basically split the available spendable dollars between signings Contreras and filling your outfield out - which Hahn indicated is likely via a trade.

I know yesterday makes this no longer a financial emergency situation, but seriously, Grandal, Zavala, and Perez are your catchers and they should be. This is not a spot to be throwing more money at. Play out Grandal’s contract, get the last dregs of baseball out of his legs, and try to have Zavala and Perez ready as a cheap catching pair the following couple years.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I know yesterday makes this no longer a financial emergency situation, but seriously, Grandal, Zavala, and Perez are your catchers and they should be. This is not a spot to be throwing more money at. Play out Grandal’s contract, get the last dregs of baseball out of his legs, and try to have Zavala and Perez ready as a cheap catching pair the following couple years.

Absolutely. And I'm not convinced Grandal is completely washed. I don't think he will ever be what he was in his prime, but I expect him to be much better than last year if he can stay healthy (yes, I know that's a big "if").

Hell, we're only about 14 months removed from a time when Grandal was completely carrying the offense.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Nah, we wouldn't be dealing a ready LH corner OF. I expect Crochet may be on the block (rightfully so)

I know all of Sox internet NEEDS to pencil in a 700k corner OF into their offseason plan for it to look even close to respectable. Myself included.

Despite it ruining our fantasy lineups I think if they make any major trades he will be included.  

38 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

History tells us Hahn won't be that aggressive in a trade. He'll most likely trade one of his many fringe prospects for a dead cat bounce guy.  An Alex Verugo, Mike Yaz or Trent Grisham type. 

I don't believe 2 of those people exist.

Anyway...this isn't a bad concept. Unless the White Sox go nuts and blast their way into the luxury tax, their ability to compete next year is 100% going to be determined by whether or not they can get a 20 win improvement out of the guys who are already here (10 wins behind Cleveland this year, 10 wins lost to free agency).

If they get a 10 win improvement out of guys who are already here, that's a hole they cannot possibly plug through trades and free agency, and it won't matter that Hahn didn't trade away everything he could. Whether they sign Benintendi or trade for Trent Grisham, they have to fill a handful of holes the best they can, but picking the right guy will only matter if they have already made up 95% of the ground on Cleveland through the guys already in the org. 

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

I'd like to have someone with some defensively ability myself. Don't know how Grandal will hold up, and think Seby's offense was a mirage.

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

History tells us Hahn won't be that aggressive in a trade. He'll most likely trade one of his many fringe prospects for a dead cat bounce guy.  An Alex Verugo, Mike Yaz or Trent Grisham type. 

I'd be completely fine with Verdugo or Grisham (if money spent elsehwhere).  Verdugo a far better bat, and is Grisham a very strong defender?

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

He had a 2.6 WAR year (mostly D) and provides a LH bat, some pop, an ability to walk and some upside.

I didn’t say he didn’t have value. I was a big fan of his a few years ago. But a lot of people will look at that sub .200 average and freak out adding it into the mix with Moncada and Yaz. It certainly would fit the bill as a buy-low and hope for a bounce back to career norms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I didn’t say he didn’t have value. I was a big fan of his a few years ago. But a lot of people will look at that sub .200 average and freak out adding it into the mix with Moncada and Yaz. It certainly would fit the bill as a buy-low and hope for a bounce back to career norms.

He apparently does have 3 years of arbitration eligibility, so you'd probably be paying a premium talent price for him despite the down year.

GrishamTrade.jpg